LG or Panasonic or phillips

Roryno

Novice Member
Reaction score
So I bought a hisense TV after getting advice from here and unfortunately it keeps freezing so it's going back to Costco.
I've now decided on 3 potential tvs.
Would prefer better colours to viewing angle as basically have it pointed at us anyway but realise at our budget of £530 we aren't going to get anything like oled qled
Anyway choices are
Panasonic 55HX580BZ
Or
LG 55SM8050PLC
Or
Philips 55PUS7805
Many thanks

Last edited:
The only TV out of those that has a wide colour gamut is the LG, and it will only have better colours when used with HDR material...something that really is best being avoided when using cheaper TVs.

TVs have saturated colour coverage for non-HDR (SDR) content for some time now. So its not really possible to buy one TV that has better colours than the next. Colour accuracy is something else entirely though.

If you prefer overall picture quality compared to viewing angles you are best instead looking at models from Chinese manufacturers like TCL or Hisense, since their 55" TVs use VA panels, whilst typically others are using IPS. The pro's and cons of each panel type can be read about here: Which panel type should I choose for my TV?

Generally I'd avoid buying a cheap TV from Panasonic. They are not really Panasonic TVs, but produced by a 3rd party; Vestel. In Turkey. This is the same company that produces no-brand name TVs and supermarket specials.

The only TV out of those that has a wide colour gamut is the LG, and it will only have better colours when used with HDR material...something that really is best being avoided when using cheaper TVs.

TVs have saturated colour coverage for non-HDR (SDR) content for some time now. So its not really possible to buy one TV that has better colours than the next. Colour accuracy is something else entirely though.

If you prefer overall picture quality compared to viewing angles you are best instead looking at models from Chinese manufacturers like TCL or Hisense, since their 55" TVs use VA panels, whilst typically others are using IPS. The pro's and cons of each panel type can be read about here: Which panel type should I choose for my TV?

Generally I'd avoid buying a cheap TV from Panasonic. They are not really Panasonic TVs, but produced by a 3rd party; Vestel. In Turkey. This is the same company that produces no-brand name TVs and supermarket specials.
OK thank you, really didn't know that about Panasonic, thought they were good quality.
I've had a hisense and it's failed after less than 3 months so thought they were just low quality but must of just been a bad one.
That Phillips claims to have hdr10+ and dolby vision, think that's the same and will only notice on a very select few programmes
Thanks again

I think you just got a bad one. I've been recommended Hisense TVs for a few years now and I receive complaints about them just as often as I receive complaints about other manufacturers. They all make good and bad and they all have similar failure rates. But that is what a warranty is for. Buy from a reputable place with a warranty and ig it goes wrong, you can return it for service.

Regarding HDR, I touched on this in my first reply but it really should not be a consideration on TVs at this price range. These TVs may have HDR this, HDR that on the box, but they cannot display it properly.

Gun to my head, out of three models you’ve mentioned, maybe the Panasonic.

Each of the models suggested are the “cheaper” version of the better LED LCD TVs in the range.

Philips 58PUS8555 - You gain a VA panel, direct LED backlighting and Android (better apps etc) - £649

Panasonic 58HX800/820 - A “real” Panasonic TV with better colour fidelity, black levels etc. Still Edge-lit. £899

LG are all IPS panels, but higher models add Dolby Vision.

If you can stretch (size and price) I’d probably say the Philips 58PUS8555 or look at a Samsung 55TU7100

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom