LG SL10YG Soundbar Review & Comments

Great review, push comes to shove which way would you personally lean when it comes to the SL10YG and the HW-Q80R considering they're both now at the same price point?

Great review, push comes to shove which way would you personally lean when it comes to the SL10YG and the HW-Q80R considering they're both now at the same price point?
The Samsung HW-Q80R because it passes HDR10+ as well as Dolby Vision, and as of next month it has eARC support as well.

will this block the bottom of the screen on a 65 c9?

will this block the bottom of the screen on a 65 c9?
I would say yes, potentially, depending how far you are seating from the TV and how high it seats on the cabinet or stand. It might be not noticeable or slightly annoying if it blocks a cm at the bottom of the screen.

For reference:
1572647890729.png

Hi @Steve Withers

If sl10yg added with spk-8s.
Woukd it be considered as good as hw q90r?
I understand q90r has 4 upfiring speaker.

But considering if i can get
sl10yg + spk-8s for $700 USD all in
And HW Q90R for $1030USD all in

Would HW Q90R worth the extra $330 USD?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Thanks in advance.

Do you want a full atmos bubble?

Do you want a full atmos bubble?

I guess i do qant one.

But this is the first time for mw to get a premium soundbar.

Not sure of two extra up firing speaker worth the 340 USD(considering it is already a good price for both like i listed above. 1040 usd for q90r and 700 usd for sl10yg +spk8s )

Can anyone confirm with a PC that this soundbar can passthrough 1080p120Hz 4:4:4 if connected to a TV that can receive the signal like a recent LG OLED?

Hi @Steve Withers

Thanks in advance.

I just found the SL10 for $650+tax. Where did you find both for that price!?

I am really surprised that you have the LG SL10 rated higher than the Samsung Q-80R. I just got done researching and comparison shopping high end sound bars. I wanted the Q-90R but the wife wasn't having $1500 for a sound bar system. So I narrowed it down to the LG SL10 vs. The Q80R. Honestly I found the Samsung to be far superior in sound quality and build construction. You gave both bars 9s in these categories. I would have given the Samsung 9s and the LG 7.5s here. Both systems get very loud....too loud. But the Samsung just has a fuller more natural and vibrant sound to it. The LG sounded a bit tinny and flat in comparison. Especially with music. I found that the Q-
80R does a much better job throwing sounds around the room with the Dolby Atmos and DTS-X. The LG wasn't in the same ballpark here. Harmon Kardon won over Meridian here big time. On build the Samsung is metal and looks better and stronger than the plastic LG. The only thing I like better was the slim line profile of the LG but that may be it's undoing in the sound department. The Samsung is bigger and sounds better. Anyway I bought the Samsung and have since bought the rear speaker kit and I have to say the system is well balanced and sounds awesome.

Relatively new owner of this, hoping to add the rear speakers at some point. I like much about this soundbar so far, which like I guess a few of us has been a purchase based on fitting with the convenience of a room layout, perhaps keeping a partner happy, while lamenting the loss of a traditional 5.1 set-up. My main issue so far is that I cannot hear any sense of height at all with a low reflective ceiling, not seated far from the bar at all. I have a 4k blu ray player and sky Q plugged into the bar, and then bar to an LG C9 OLED. I was reliably informed to get Atmos, which the bar says it is getting ok, you need to put the sources into the bar, and not the TV. I'm aware you can turn the height channel level up, but I would still say no real sense of overhead sound / Atmos that other reviewers have said they experienced.
Would also appreciate hearing any seasoned owners advice on recommended settings. Most seem to recommend ASC, and some recommend setting Neural X on via the app. Any other tips out there? Thanks.

ALL LG's soundbars and SPK8-S rear speakers bass management flaw
The sound bar not realize bass management to SPK8-S rear channels . It's simple to test it, run Dolby Atmos test tones (7.1.2) and for every sound bar channel the subwoofer make some bass (the bass management ), for the rear channels (SPK8-S channels) sub is mute, no bass management. I repeat the test using 7.1 Dolby Surround test tones and the results are the same. This is a MAJOR flaw in LG's soundbars because SPK8-S rear channels has no deep bass at all. Please LG fix this behavior. Sorry for my poor English (not my principal language)

I have heard numerous people complain that the LG sound bar doesn't do a great job with the Dolby Atmos overhead sounds. The only ones that do that I know of are the Samsung/ Harmon Kardon HWQ80/Q90R. These models have the same main bar and sub and they really throw the sound above and around you in a much fuller and more satisfying way than the LG. If you can still return the LG and get the Samsung I would do it. Otherwise you will just have to live with it.

I have heard numerous people complain that the LG sound bar doesn't do a great job with the Dolby Atmos overhead sounds. The only ones that do that I know of are the Samsung/ Harmon Kardon HWQ80/Q90R. These models have the same main bar and sub and they really throw the sound above and around you in a much fuller and more satisfying way than the LG. If you can still return the LG and get the Samsung I would do it. Otherwise you will just have to live with it.
Not in a position to return unfortunately. So any optimal settings advice from those in the know to live with it are gratefully received. You can turn the upfiring speakers up to a max of 6, but would be interested to hear what the best balance is to get these sounding right along the other speaker settings, and settings/sound effects you can play with from the app. Thanks.

Question about your cable setup. You mention console going to the sound bar direct and then the Tv and sound bar connected via Arc. In that scenario does the video and audio go from one HDMI out from say a Xbox Box One X to the Lg sound bar and it can then provide the best audio output, and then video gets to the LG Tv also via the Arc back to the Tv? I have until now used the digital optical cable from my LG Tv to sound bars as I understand the tv itself might not be passing the best audio to the LG sound bar.

Question about your cable setup. You mention console going to the sound bar direct and then the Tv and sound bar connected via Arc. In that scenario does the video and audio go from one HDMI out from say a Xbox Box One X to the Lg sound bar and it can then provide the best audio output, and then video gets to the LG Tv also via the Arc back to the Tv? I have until now used the digital optical cable from my LG Tv to sound bars as I understand the tv itself might not be passing the best audio to the LG sound bar.
Going directly into the sound bar and out using ARC is going to get you your best sound. That would be the only way to get Dolby Atmos or DTS-X sound. Optical cannot handle Atmos or DTS-X

Anyone know how to turn off the display ?

Its doing my head in seeing Arc displayed.

Anyone help?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom