LG UBK90 Owners & Discussion

Plays as DV on my LG Oled TV Prime app.

Yes on mine too now, but I think the initial release on Amazon may have been non DV but I can't remember.

Just looked on currys website this player gone back up to 299 now knew i should of bought one last week lol

Why? There are better players.

The Sony UBP-X700B, or possibly the forthcoming Panasonic UB450 price TBA.

I just chatted with LG UK support regarding the HDMI CEC nonsense on this player and they indeed pretty much denied any possibility of a firmware update solution...so poor LG, though they are capable of making excellent OLEDs, other products of their AV range just suck...

final response from the LG UK re. HDMI-CEC:

"Hi Jan,

Thank you for your email regarding your UBK90 DVD player.

Thank you very much for providing the details as requested in the previous email.

I have now raised this for you to our research and development team so that this can be looked in to. I would recommend keeping an eye on the LG website for any updates that may be released for you for your player.

Thank you again for brining this to our attention and we will be able to look in to what we can do in this case.

If you have any other issues or queries please contact us and I am more than happy to help.

If you do wish to discuss this further please do not hesitate to contact us on 0344 847 5454 or alternatively you can also reply to this email by clicking on the wish to reply to this email button just below. Should you need to attach anything in your response, please click on the start a brand new enquiry button. If you do wish to respond to this email, please do so by clicking on the “Save” button on the response page.

I hope my email has answered your query and assisted you today; I would really appreciate your feedback. If you have a few moments to spare, please may you help us to improve our customer service by completing the short survey at the bottom of this email which is based solely on my support.

Kind regards
Amy
LG Electronics UK Help desk"

Can’t see from the earlier posts what the “HDMI-CEC” issue you mention was all about, can you explain?

it´s a nonsense causing HDMI switching "havoc" all over the system (TV+AVR+BD player). In other words, the player´s forced Simplink setting causes random switching of inputs on the AVR (provided ARC and HDMI-CEC are set to on). Nevertheless, I just received the LINDY CEC-LESS adapter yesterday and it works like a charm. No more random input switchings. Anyway, let´s see what LG is capable of (if they release some FW update).

Last edited:
So you can’t turn the CEC control ‘off’ on the player?
I have an old Sony Blu-ray player at present, but want to replace it now I have an LG 4K tv. Nothing fancy, just a £350 43” model.
The Sony BD is terrible, very slow to read discs, horrible PlayStation style interface and now it has stopped sending Dolby Digital to my Onkyo. I vowed to never buy another Sony product again!

So you can’t turn the CEC control ‘off’ on the player?
I have an old Sony Blu-ray player at present, but want to replace it now I have an LG 4K tv. Nothing fancy, just a £350 43” model.
The Sony BD is terrible, very slow to read discs, horrible PlayStation style interface and now it has stopped sending Dolby Digital to my Onkyo. I vowed to never buy another Sony product again!

Nope, you can’t...I raised a complaint with the LG, we’re yet to see what they come up with...I bought the Lindy CEC LESS adapter for the meantime, works great so far

Is anyone using an xbox x for playing movies if so could you give a review on how it plays please thinking about picking one up ive got a ps4 pro but im thinking about getting an xbox x for the 4 k player many thanks

Is anyone using an xbox x for playing movies if so could you give a review on how it plays please thinking about picking one up ive got a ps4 pro but im thinking about getting an xbox x for the 4 k player many thanks

I have XB1S, which is media-wise the same as XB1X, its 4K BD playback is alright, no particular hassles or issues as far as I know...Microsoft keeps updating the system fairly often and the whole ecosystem on the console looks nice and fresh. You need to have an app for the playback, though, the Bluray Player app as well as the Dolby Access app in order to get Atmos working (both free of charge from Store). There is a "let my receiver decode audio" option in Disc Settings on the console, which is effectively a bitstream passthru for BD playback. Regarding media playback from USB, you need to have Movies App or VLC (both free of charge again), they pretty much work as they should but there´s no bitstream audio within these apps, only forced Atmos or PCM set by the console´s system.

Have posted this in the Up970 thread, the other day I got a great deal on this player ubk90 but when playing back DV discs my av receiver Denon Avr- x3300w only shows the video info being RGB at 8bit. The Tv goes into Dolby vision mode etc and I know the receiver does DV passthrough. However when standard hdr10 discs are played the BT 2020 colour space is shown with a bit rate of 12bit. Could anyone who has got this player hooked up via a receiver check to see what signal info is shown. The options in set up are very basic only giving you the option to choose either ycc or RGB as colour space + no bit rate setting. LGs customer help are of no use so if anyone can help I would be most grateful.

Denon and Marantz AVR's (maybe others) both show DV as 8 bit from Sony and Panasonic players too. It's not an issue with the players, like your LG they are outputting DV so don't worry about it.

If you want to check yourself connect player direct to TV and play a DV disc, then do same via your receiver. When I did this the picture is exactly the same.

Last edited:
Denon and Marantz AVR's (maybe others) both show DV as 8 bit from Sony and Panasonic players too. It's not an issue with the players, like your LG they are outputting DV so don't worry about it.

If you want to check yourself connect player direct to TV and play a DV disc, then do same via your receiver. When I did this the picture is exactly the same.

Cheers for that info, just can't get my head round the fact that DV material should be 12 bit and in the BT2020 colour space whereas the info from the receiver states otherwise. I had originally thought the player was converting to RGB & lowering the bit rate due to bandwidth limitations. Just out of curiousity what receiver are you using? Regards

Marantz SR7010. Shows 8 bit RGB for Sony X700 and Panasonic UB820.

Don't know if Denon/Marantz are just incorrectly reporting the info or if what is described below holds true for UHD discs. As noted at the end AVRs can report DV as either 8 bit RGB or YCbCr 4:2:2 12 bits. Both are stated to be correct

Dolby Vision RGB Tunneling

The method Dolby Vision (DV) uses to transport the signal over HDMI is referred to as “RGB Tunneling”. The 12-bit ICtCp DV signal + Metadata is encapsulated inside the regular RGB 8-bit video signal. The DV “tunneling” carries 12-bit YCbCr 4:2:2 data in an RGB 4:4:4 8-bit transport. This is possible because both signal formats have the same 8.9 Gbps data rate requirements.
https://www.dolby.com/us/en/technolo...hite-paper.pdf

DV requires dynamic luminance data which cannot be explicitly carried in an HDMI 2.0 (18 Gbps max) data stream, so it is designed to transport over HDMI 1.4 (8.9 Gbps max); at least up to 4K@30. DV base content and DV luminance (meta) data is encapsulated in an HDMI 1.4 compatible (except HDCP 2.2) RGB 4:4:4 8-bit video stream. That's why Dolby claims that DV can be sent via HDMI v 1.4, but in reality, HDMI v2.0 is needed due to the HDCP v2.2 encryption.

The DV metadata is encoded into the least significant bits of the chroma channels. Upon the HDMI EDID exchange (handshake), the sink (AVR, Display, or HDMI switch) signals the source that it supports Dolby Vision "tunneling". The source then signals the sink that it's transmitting Dolby Vision through an AVI Infoframe, which therefore triggers the Dolby Vision mode in the sink. The display DV engine extracts the components and produces a tone mapped image.

As a result, video pass-through components must be DV 'aware' to not alter the signal, which is in effect 'hidden' inside the 8 bit RGB 'container'.

AVR’s may report DV signals in one of two ways, but both are correct:
Resolution: 4k:24Hz ->4k:24Hz
HDR: Dolby Vision
Color Space: RGB 4:4:4 -> RGB 4:4:4 -OR- YCbCr 4:2:2 -> YCbCr 4:2:2
Color Depth: 8 bits -> 8 bits -OR- 12 bits -> 12 bits

Official OPPO UDP-203 Owner's Thread - Page 1111 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Last edited:
Marantz SR7010. Shows 8 bit RGB for Sony X700 and Panasonic UB820.

Don't know if Denon/Marantz are just incorrectly reporting the info or if what is described below holds true for UHD discs. As noted at the end AVRs can report DV as either 8 bit RGB or YCbCr 4:2:2 12 bits. Both are stated to be correct

Dolby Vision RGB Tunneling

The method Dolby Vision (DV) uses to transport the signal over HDMI is referred to as “RGB Tunneling”. The 12-bit ICtCp DV signal + Metadata is encapsulated inside the regular RGB 8-bit video signal. The DV “tunneling” carries 12-bit YCbCr 4:2:2 data in an RGB 4:4:4 8-bit transport. This is possible because both signal formats have the same 8.9 Gbps data rate requirements.
https://www.dolby.com/us/en/technolo...hite-paper.pdf

DV requires dynamic luminance data which cannot be explicitly carried in an HDMI 2.0 (18 Gbps max) data stream, so it is designed to transport over HDMI 1.4 (8.9 Gbps max); at least up to 4K@30. DV base content and DV luminance (meta) data is encapsulated in an HDMI 1.4 compatible (except HDCP 2.2) RGB 4:4:4 8-bit video stream. That's why Dolby claims that DV can be sent via HDMI v 1.4, but in reality, HDMI v2.0 is needed due to the HDCP v2.2 encryption.

The DV metadata is encoded into the least significant bits of the chroma channels. Upon the HDMI EDID exchange (handshake), the sink (AVR, Display, or HDMI switch) signals the source that it supports Dolby Vision "tunneling". The source then signals the sink that it's transmitting Dolby Vision through an AVI Infoframe, which therefore triggers the Dolby Vision mode in the sink. The display DV engine extracts the components and produces a tone mapped image.

As a result, video pass-through components must be DV 'aware' to not alter the signal, which is in effect 'hidden' inside the 8 bit RGB 'container'.

AVR’s may report DV signals in one of two ways, but both are correct:
Resolution: 4k:24Hz ->4k:24Hz
HDR: Dolby Vision
Color Space: RGB 4:4:4 -> RGB 4:4:4 -OR- YCbCr 4:2:2 -> YCbCr 4:2:2
Color Depth: 8 bits -> 8 bits -OR- 12 bits -> 12 bits

Official OPPO UDP-203 Owner's Thread - Page 1111 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Many thanks for this link, great info also on how the DV signal is passed along the HDMI chain

Good morning!

I have a quick question regarding Dolby Vision and Sony Bravia TV's. The ubk90 and the Sony Bravia's have different versions of Dolby Vision, one is low latency, the other is not. Since there is no option on the ubk90 to turn off Dolby Vision and use HDR10 instead, what exactly happens?

Does anybody have any experience in this regard? I have found this player on sale for a reasonable price, I hear very good things, but this DV issue is holding me back. I don't care about DV one way or the other, but I remember reading one account somewhere that the picture get's messed up when the player attempts DV on a Bravia.

Any insight would be HUGELY appreciated.

Thanks!

Good morning!

I have a quick question regarding Dolby Vision and Sony Bravia TV's. The ubk90 and the Sony Bravia's have different versions of Dolby Vision, one is low latency, the other is not. Since there is no option on the ubk90 to turn off Dolby Vision and use HDR10 instead, what exactly happens?

Does anybody have any experience in this regard? I have found this player on sale for a reasonable price, I hear very good things, but this DV issue is holding me back. I don't care about DV one way or the other, but I remember reading one account somewhere that the picture get's messed up when the player attempts DV on a Bravia.

Any insight would be HUGELY appreciated.

Thanks!

Where?

Just avoid, get a player which support Sony's implementation of DV instead. Sony X700 or Panasonic UB820 and a few others.

Where?

Just avoid, get a player which support Sony's implementation of DV instead. Sony X700 or Panasonic UB820 and a few others.

X700 is an option but i'm concerned about the loud noise it makes according to many people.

X700 is an option but i'm concerned about the loud noise it makes according to many people.
My X700 is quiet. Check whether where you buy from would allow you to return if noisy.
As you are in Canada it's pointless listing the UK retailers which allow this but I've never had a problem returning player to amazon.uk due to noise. amazon.ca may be similar.

For a Sony TV you will need a player which can has low latency (player led) DV profile. LG doesn't have this. It's unclear from this answer below whether the player would then output DV discs in HDR10. At best case the DV engine in the player will ask the TV if it has DV, TV replies yes but I need you to do most of the work (player led DV). Player then goes nope I can't do that and will just give you HDR10 instead. Worst case the player just outputs DV which the TV can't process properly and you get a screwed up picture.

The Dolby Vision for the LG 4K Ultra-HD Blu-ray Disc™ Player with Dolby Vision®, Model # UBK90 is fully compatible with Dolby Vision TVs, except for Sony Dolby Vision TVs, whose implementation of Dolby Vision requires additional software upgrade to devices that connect over HDMI, such as streaming media players or UHD Blu-ray players. However, standard HDR10 content will play on Sony TVs.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/questi...question/ebaf4c27-a873-387d-b1a8-6a67ec19aef9

If you want the LG perhaps best to ask retailer if it will work with your Sony TV for DV discs and if it doesn't, can you then return it for that reason.

Last edited:
I finally got a 4k oled pana GZ950 to go with my player, but I am not getting Dolby Vision from the player even when I bypass my receiver & connect direct.

It shows no software update available - does anyone know what the latest firm ware should be? I'm on bd.39338.80329.c

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom