LG UH850v & UH950v 2016 4K HDR Dolby Vision TV's Owners Thread

thewoe2

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Was just wondering has anyone picked up either of these sets? Im looking at getting the UH850v when the price goes down later on in the year, its £1,499 at the moment but last years equivelant the UF850v went down to £800 when i picked it up.

Only review i could find so far is here:LG 55UH850V review and best prices | S21

Last edited:
I bought the 65UH850V a week ago for around 2300 € here in Belgium.
I got 500 € reduction for my previous tv (LG 55LM660S) in the shop where I bought the new one.

I tried to take some pictures but it's not that simple.

http://i.imgur.com/44VKLvp.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/dpe3kei.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/Udd4vMU.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/FhtYaWA.jpg

My setup: http://i.imgur.com/JxUUQ74.jpg

Positive
+ love webos 3.0, it's freaking fast & stabel
+ those harman kardon speakers are doing there job very good. (but I'm using for the most time my externe speakers)
+ everything on one remote
+ 4k looks amazing (youtube & netflix)
+ HDR & Dolby Vision (Marco Polo looks good to me in Dolby Vision but the Backlight-Bleeding is visible in a dark room. Even with tweaking it's still visible.

Negative
- Backlight-Bleeding still a pain in the ass, but with some tweaking it's better.

ps: Backlight-Bleeding is only visible with black bars on top & bottem.

I bought the 65UH850V a week ago for around 2300 € here in Belgium.
I got 500 € reduction for my previous tv (LG 55LM660S) in the shop where I bought the new one.

I tried to take some pictures but it's not that simple.

http://i.imgur.com/44VKLvp.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/dpe3kei.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/Udd4vMU.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/FhtYaWA.jpg

My setup: http://i.imgur.com/JxUUQ74.jpg

Positive
+ love webos 3.0, it's freaking fast & stabel
+ those harman kardon speakers are doing there job very good. (but I'm using for the most time my externe speakers)
+ everything on one remote
+ 4k looks amazing (youtube & netflix)
+ HDR & Dolby Vision (Marco Polo looks good to me in Dolby Vision but the Backlight-Bleeding is visible in a dark room. Even with tweaking it's still visible.

Negative
- Backlight-Bleeding still a pain in the ass, but with some tweaking it's better.

Going By those pics you posted the PQ looks amazing, i love my current tv but knowing it doesnt support HDR10 or DV drives me nuts even though i dont have any HDR 4K content and i cant stream any because my net is only 5.5mb, i really want to sink my teeth into HDR and DV but atm there is still not enough out there for me movie wise and i cant afford a £400 UHD Player.

Im awaiting on the new PS4k/Neo and hopeing it plays UHD Blurays.

I bought the 55uh950v for similar price mainly because it has a 10 bit panel vs the 8 bit on the uh850v. Anyways my thoughts are on the thread that i created a few days back and i believe its still on the main page of the television section in this forum

Hey guys,

Negative

Try set Local dim to High... IT helps A LOT on bleeding

here a lot more info:
Official LG 55/60/65 UH8500 Thread - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

My settings for now, but why all those different Picture mode settings?

Vivid - Standaard - Eco - Cinema - Sport - Game - Photo - HDR Effect - (Expert) Bright Room - (Expert) Dark Room

Cinema, HDR Effect & (Expert) Dark Room looks good to me.
I didn't watch a soccer game yet, I have to wait until EK starts.

Picture mode setting: (Expert) Dark room
Energy Saving: Minimum
Eye Comfort Mode: Off

Picture Mode
Backlight: 25
Contrast: 80
Brightness: 50
H Sharpness: 0
V Sharpness: 0
Colour: 50
Tint: 0

Expert Control
Dynamic Contrast: Off
Super Resolution: Off
Colour Gamut: Normal
Edge Enchancer: on
Colour Filter: Off
Gamma: BT. 1886

Picture Options
Noise Reduction: Auto
MPEG Noise Reduction: Auto
Black Level: Auto
Real Cinema: On
Motion Eye Care: Off
LED Local Dimming: High
TruMotion: Clear

Any good?

Last edited:
Picture Options
Noise Reduction: Auto
MPEG Noise Reduction: Auto
Black Level: Auto
Real Cinema: On
Motion Eye Care: Off
LED Local Dimming: High
TruMotion: Clear

Any good?

I would turn off both Noise reduction's, Led local dimming to medium and trumotion off unless you like the soap opera effect on movies :)

I would turn off both Noise reduction's, Led local dimming to medium and trumotion off unless you like the soap opera effect on movies :)

Why local Dimming on medium?

Last edited:
No unfortunately there are none... as no one has reviewed this model as yet.... i copied some settings from another forum for the UH 850 and tweaked them a little for my taste....

No unfortunately there are none... as no one has reviewed this model as yet.... i copied some settings from another forum for the UH 850 and tweaked them a little for my taste....
BTW..nice avatar, hala madrid!

The UH850V is not a 10 bit panel but a 8 bit with 10 bit dithering... it has been widly debated and discussed in other forums and LG has confirmed that it is an 8 bit with 10 but dithering...
Can you post a link to LG's confirmation please? I can't find it and there's lots if contradictory info around. I bought this model on the basis of the 10 bit panel as advertised on the LG website and I'm disappointed. Thanks.

Could someone show link to 10bit dithering confirmation, as mentioned previously then dropped on other thread.
Perhaps LG can confirm / deny.

Kevin

Lg has 2 levels of support as apparently mentioned in another forum and level 1 which people normally speak with have not enough knowledge, now there is a level 2 support who are more technical and they confirmed that UH850 had a 8 bit panel. Anyways i do not know if i can post a link here of another forum where this has been discussed in detail, anywys here is the link... warning there are 30 pages....
Official LG 55/60/65 UH8500 Thread - Page 30 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Lg has 2 levels of support as apparently mentioned in another forum and level 1 which people normally speak with have not enough knowledge, now there is a level 2 support who are more technical and they confirmed that UH850 had a 8 bit panel. Anyways i do not know if i can post a link here of another forum where this has been discussed in detail, anywys here is the link... warning there are 30 pages....
Official LG 55/60/65 UH8500 Thread - Page 30 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Hi
Having looked on end of thread response 876 I think on this link

Response from lg 10bit.

Regarding your point about levels of support, when I called, the receiver of call checked with next level which I assume is level 2 and confirmed 10bit.

From reading thread it seems that speculation is surrounding 8bit / 10bit switch in service menu speculating it is therefore 8bit. This could just as well be legacy code as developers have habit of using old code as starting point. I think for definitive answer we need someone like Steve Withers to contact LG for next level of response.

Finally could you see difference in picture quality between 850 and 950?

Kevin

Hi
Having looked on end of thread response 876 I think on this link

Response from lg 10bit.

Regarding your point about levels of support, when I called, the receiver of call checked with next level which I assume is level 2 and confirmed 10bit.

From reading thread it seems that speculation is surrounding 8bit / 10bit switch in service menu speculating it is therefore 8bit. This could just as well be legacy code as developers have habit of using old code as starting point. I think for definitive answer we need someone like Steve Withers to contact LG for next level of response.

Finally could you see difference in picture quality between 850 and 950?

Kevin
if you read the thread i posted you will see that LG has confirmed this 8 bit panel in writing to one of the users... the copy of the letter is also posted in the thread so there are no more doubts its an 8 bit panel....
On the picture front i only tested it in the store and i did notice better blacks and contrast on the UH950. it is also mentioned somewhere in the forum that the 950 has 3 layers of special film as opposed to 2 on the 850 and also has a better processor...
i did not try the 3d but i have heard that the 3d on the Uh950 is much better that the UH850..

Hi

Will wade through earlier pages, but seems subjective depending on which correspondence you take.

I suppose if true, rather naughty to advertise heavily as 10bit. As this difference with 950 not highlighted on website.

Just to be controversial how can you be sure 950 is 10bit!
How do you test this?

Kevin

So I've had the 49 inch UH850V for about a week. Generally I'm very pleased with it. The blacks are disappointing, but OK. The detail is terrific. It makes me want to upgrade more of my DVDs to Blu-Rays. There is some dirty-screen-effect but I was expecting that.

However the one thing I am not happy with is the 3D (which was one of the main reasons to get this TV instead of another). I have tried modifying the settings but always seem to end up with noticeable ghosting. This is very obvious on animated features. I've also tried adjusting my sitting position but have not found any ideal spot.
At this point I'm wondering if it is faulty and should be replaced.

I like my 65, just got to set the right settings. Have you guys tried the Rtings one? yeah me too for Hdr and games too.

Got some questions, where is just scan in original or? Do I have to enable 4:4:4? Do I need to activate deep color on ps4 or lg?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom