LG UK OLED and NANOCELL models and pricing for 2020 announced

Every review i have seen has said what is expected of an IPS panel with 30 dimming zones, weak black levels and poor detail in dark scenes. Any that say otherwise don't have a clue what they're looking at, it's as simple as that.

The review video above he says that it is as close as lcd has gotten to OLED black levels.

In English weather you think majority of our viewing is in a bright room?
You must of not had your glasses on as every review didn't say weak blacks and poor detail levels :rotfl:

In the UK most people have the light on during the day in Autumn, Winter so yes the majority of our viewing is in bright rooms :thumbsup:

Poor contrast robs every scene of colour saturation and richness. It doesn't just mean the odd full black scene looks grey, it's an all over negative effect.
I'll trust the reviewers like John Archer etc who have much more experience with televisions than you. It's a IPS panel so won't have as good contrast as a VA panel but the new power management backlighting system has improved the contrast drastically from previous IPS panel tvs.

Samsung, Sony wide viewing angle filters rob decrease contrast for their VA panels. Will be interesting to see how the LG Nano 99 with much more dimming zones than the Nano 90 fairs.

You must of not had your glasses on as every review didn't say weak blacks and poor detail levels :rotfl:

In the UK most people have the light on during the day in Autumn, Winter so yes the majority of our viewing is in bright rooms :thumbsup:

From John Archer -

"The first thing to become apparent when putting the LG 65NANO90 through its paces with my own content is that the backlight improvements witnessed during the previous demo are only really viable in the Cinema Home picture preset. At least if you’re wanting to do some fairly serious film viewing with the lights down.

With the Standard mode the set defaults to, for instance, HDR sources uncover lots of very obvious blooming around bright objects during dark room viewing, as well as lots of detail crushing in dark areas of pictures that contain a mix of light and dark content. Black levels are pretty good by IPS standards in Standard mode, and bright areas look much brighter and punchier than they do in the TV’s Cinema Home and Cinema presets. But backlight issues are dominant, in typical IPS style."

Keep smoking whatever you're smoking :thumbsup:

I'll trust the reviewers like John Archer etc who have much more experience with televisions than you. It's a IPS panel so won't have as good contrast as a VA panel but the new power management backlighting system has improved the contrast drastically from previous IPS panel tvs.

Samsung, Sony wide viewing angle filters rob decrease contrast for their VA panels. Will be interesting to see how the LG Nano 99 with much more dimming zones than the Nano 90 fairs.

Drastically, it's still IPS, it's still not suitable for dark room viewing without heavy bias lighting. And power management system, it's 32 dimming zones, what miracles do you think it can work?

Yes but even with this we are talking about an IPS with native 1000 - 1 and a VA with 3000 - 1. And with this filter they appear much better at angles and especially when sitting central you don't get the sides appearing lighter than the centre so improving the perceived black levels even more.

Honestly starting to wonder if you work for LG or are just having a laugh....

Either way i'll bow out as it's pointless talking any sense to you :)

From John Archer -

"The first thing to become apparent when putting the LG 65NANO90 through its paces with my own content is that the backlight improvements witnessed during the previous demo are only really viable in the Cinema Home picture preset. At least if you’re wanting to do some fairly serious film viewing with the lights down.

With the Standard mode the set defaults to, for instance, HDR sources uncover lots of very obvious blooming around bright objects during dark room viewing, as well as lots of detail crushing in dark areas of pictures that contain a mix of light and dark content. Black levels are pretty good by IPS standards in Standard mode, and bright areas look much brighter and punchier than they do in the TV’s Cinema Home and Cinema presets. But backlight issues are dominant, in typical IPS style."

Keep smoking whatever you're smoking :thumbsup:
And he also says - Next, having given the Standard preset a hard time earlier, I want to resurrect it now as a pretty decent bright room viewing mode. Aside from a lack of detail in dark areas, the problems it causes in a dark room largely disappear with the lights up or the curtains open. And once the dark room problems been taken out of the equation, you suddenly start to appreciate how potent the picture is for a $1,499 (£1,699) 65-inch TV. This potency is built on high full screen brightness levels, more strong work from the NanoCell color system, and the intensity of HDR brightness peaks.

Keep drinking whatever your drinking :thumbsup:

You don't have to comment in this thread if you don't like the LG NanoCell tv's! But they are a big improvement over previous NanoCell tvs and a good choice for people who view in mostly bright conditions and don't want burn in from OLED.

PicsArt_05-23-10.58.47.jpg
PicsArt_05-23-10.55.58.jpg

Drastically, it's still IPS, it's still not suitable for dark room viewing without heavy bias lighting. And power management system, it's 32 dimming zones, what miracles do you think it can work?

Yes but even with this we are talking about an IPS with native 1000 - 1 and a VA with 3000 - 1. And with this filter they appear much better at angles and especially when sitting central you don't get the sides appearing lighter than the centre so improving the perceived black levels even more.

Honestly starting to wonder if you work for LG or are just having a laugh....

Either way i'll bow out as it's pointless talking any sense to you :)
And you could say the same no LCD VA or IPS is suitable for dark room viewing, though some actually perform decent in the dark. Did you even read the reviews the parts about cinema home and Filmmaker mode for dark room viewing... obviously not :facepalm:

I don't work for LG and have never claimed the Nano 90 is the best LCD around all I've said is it looks decent for a mid-range tv. I have been following this thread as I'm interested in specifically the 8K LG Nano 99. With more powerful Alpha 9 Gen 3 processor, AI and deep learning upscaling plus much more dimming zones and a improved dimming algorithm than the Nano 90.

Also my main seating position requires wider viewing angles than VA tvs even with wide angle filters. And I watch news channels and game regularly so OLED with the possibility of burn in is a no go for myself.

You are the one having a laugh trolling as if you have a personal vendetta against LG! Your clueless I'm out :lesson:

Last edited:
That's because of the poor local dimming, I have that too, it seems life there are optic fibers leaking some light on the left side, while delivering some light to the middle zone only.

No its overexposed through the camera. He posted my picture without any context - this picture is mainly to show that the TV has blackcrush.
You can hardly see any blooming in a bright room. And if you watch my video with the same scene (should be around 2:55) you see that the rest of the screen looks black.

For an IPS this TV has good black levels.

What I reported to LG is about the following lines (the orange should be solid, not alternating between yellow and orange (I have created another threas to gather feedbacks on it).

Ok i checked and mine has that too, but colours etc look good to me.

No its overexposed through the camera. He posted my picture without any context - this picture is mainly to show that the TV has blackcrush.
You can hardly see any blooming in a bright room. And if you watch my video with the same scene (should be around 2:55) you see that the rest of the screen looks black.

For an IPS this TV has good black levels.

Ok i checked and mine has that too, but colours etc look good to me.

You don't see the leaking light on the left side in a dark room with your bare eyes and the same image? I understand that you are highlighting the issue, like me taking a close photo.

Added to the low number of dimming zone, it makes it a poor black level for dark rooms, as @HaRd2BeAr mentionned.

Thanks for checling... You have the lines but not the color issue on your unit? Do you mind explaining a bit more? I thought both were linked.

I know one guy who has an LED TV in his living room, and a projector in a dedicated dark room... but I guess that most people use the same TV when there is light or not, despite what the fanboys & paid "influencers" say when they are promoting these new models.
So I think it is indeed important to cover the dark room situation before misleading potential buyers.

Just watch my video - which was in a dark room. I think this TV has agressive local dimming which does introduce blackcrush, but the overall black levels are good. Dimming zones dont mean anything when the algorhytmn doesnt work right - but yes this TV should have more zones.

I have a picture which i made a few seconds before the one Noblegamer posted without context =
20200520_185347.jpg

My biggest gripe atm is the brightness of the TV. But i dont understand why you have colour problems.

Also if you want to check our conversation at the german forum, where i posted this stuff first =

Also = 32 dimming zones on the 65 inch, and 50 zones on the 75 inch.

32 dimming zones on the 65 inch version is a bad joke.
Looks like my search for a decent TV continues.

See you guys if you want in the Hisense thread. 1499€ for the 55 inch version with a low zone account. Give me a f break.

Just watch my video - which was in a dark room. I think this TV has agressive local dimming which does introduce blackcrush, but the overall black levels are good. Dimming zones dont mean anything when the algorhytmn doesnt work right - but yes this TV should have more zones.

I have a picture which i made a few seconds before the one Noblegamer posted without context =
View attachment 1304582

My biggest gripe atm is the brightness of the TV. But i dont understand why you have colour problems.

Also if you want to check our conversation at the german forum, where i posted this stuff first =

So you are saying that you are fine with the low number of dimming zones/bad algorithm and the leaking light, but not the blackcrush? It could be that your unit has more severe blackcrush than mine.
By the way, I am fine with @Noblegamer 's post, it is showing the three issues of the four we are discussing, all in one picture.

The three issues are still not as annotying as the lines on my unit... which are expected based on LG's conclusion, even if it makes the quality poorer than a Full HD's.
The last picture I posted is from the "Magic fingers art" app available on the TV app store, if people want to compare with the same input.

So you are saying that you are fine with the low number of dimming zones/bad algorithm and the leaking light, but not the blackcrush? It could be that your unit has more severe blackcrush than mine.
By the way, I am fine with @Noblegamer 's post, it is showing the three issues of the four we are discussing, all in one picture.

The three issues are still not as annotying as the lines on my unit... which are expected based on LG's conclusion, even if it makes the quality poorer than a Full HD's.
The last picture I posted is from the "Magic fingers art" app available on the TV app store, if people want to compare with the same input.

I repeat it for you = the picture he posted was made by me, he posted it without permission (i have no problem with that) and no context (thats the problem).
Im BethesdaFan from that german forum if you dont already noticed that. It was just to show the blackcrush - because thats the main thing i noticed. The picture was taken with a smartphone and was overexposured by the phone.
If you just watch my video you can compare how this looks in a dark room - i would say not to bad.
The main problems i see are the blackcrush and the brightness. The rest is not outstanding but its a decent TV which might get even cheaper throughout the year.

And about your problem = you still only showed very close pictures of the screen. How does it look on fullscreen, is it washed out or what is it ?
Judging your attitude regarding the TV i would highly recommend to sell it (since you cant return it) even with a little loss, makes no sense to keep a TV you never will be happy with.

LG 65NANO906 Review

let me tell ALL of you interested in LG LCD's :

since 2010 - year i got hooked to HDTV's - i NEVER....never (ok just once a 47" FALD set...) has seen a GOOD LCD panel from them; every year we tell ourselves that it will be better...and its not better; LG have not made any good lcd's...don't make good lcd's and WILL NEVER make good lcd's !
PERIOD !

i have been wanting to buy an LG tv (as where i live their service is great); but i never managed to get one as...they simply suck if you are serious about tv's...
LG only makes fantastic OLED's...and nothing else !
in 2021...2022...2023...2024 people on this forum will still ask if the new LG range is good...and the answer will still be "no they are bad".

LG IPs crap like always. Looks like all the other reviews were bought sugar coating crap reviews.

This here is my favourite one. As good as Oled?:rotfl::rotfl:

LG IPs crap like always. Looks like all the other reviews were bought sugar coating crap reviews.

This here is my favourite one. As good as Oled?:rotfl::rotfl:

@Noblegamer If you'd watched, or at least skimmed through, the 13-minute review, you'd have seen that the reviewer concludes that the Nano90 is certainly not as good as OLED.

LG NanoCell de 2020 | LG 55NANO91NA (55'', 4K e 120Hz) - Primeiras Impressões

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom