Lindy USB DAC & Headphone Amp Review - review discussion

Good review, although would've been interesting to crack it open to see what components they were using for the DAC and amp.

For this price / performance point I'd recommend checking out the SMSL M2 if you want just a USB DAC / headphone amp combo without the coax / optical inputs. I use one at work and find performance far more acceptable than the headphone outputs on both my phone and laptop. It's also a lot slimmer than the Lindy with an aluminium case, USB mini-B connector and 3.5mm optical output. If I could have done without the USB input I would have preferred the SMSL SD-793II which is way more powerful for the same money.

This is interesting... I have the same looking DAC, but mine is without the "Lindy" logo on the top. Apart from that it's a copy cat. Would it be a fake version? or Lindy just purchased the no-name brand? :)
Apart from this it works perfect, got it for peanuts from ebay.

This is interesting... I have the same looking DAC, but mine is without the "Lindy" logo on the top. Apart from that it's a copy cat. Would it be a fake version? or Lindy just purchased the no-name brand? :)
Apart from this it works perfect, got it for peanuts from ebay.
I've seen these in Maplin, too. They used to be about 40 quid but I think they're selling for the same as the Lindy branded one now. Probably just a Chinese OEM product with varied branding / distribution.

Edit: www.maplin.co.uk/p/digital-to-analogue-audio-converter-a14kf

Today being the first wet day in months I decided to open my Maplin equivalent to this a DAC.
I purchased it during the closure of the local Maplins and only tried it out today. ..
I was curious to see what brand of DAC it has, and after opening it I am still curious..
Chips identified were..
Processor is a PIC 15F5 6series. Running from a 20 MHz crystal.
the firmware is ATML 450 ROM.
The usb interface chip Bravo SA9023A
The other chip is a cirrus logic 8416 CZZ which is a clock synchronisation for the optical and coaxial,as as far as I can make out.

Neither of these is a recognizable DAC, and the no other large chips... Yet it works!!! And sounds very clear.

The data sheets for these two devices the Bravo and the Cirrus logic are very confusing but either or both could have DACs

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom