Question Linksys Velop™ WiFi mesh system. Anyone Got one?

From the linked web site:

"One of the common frustrations of WiFi is reduced signal using a router with a range extender. Although range extenders broadcast your WiFi further than your router can on its own, they reduce the signal so that you can lose a reliable connection when moving from room to room."

What a load of !*#**!ing rubbish. They really ought to employ someone who understands radio generally and Wi-Fi specifically to write their ad. copy instead of churning out this sort of cr@p. (It's not that hard to grasp the concepts - even I can manage it.)

It's years ago now, but in a college I worked, I used to have more trouble with students whose laptops (iPads hadn't been invented) containing LinkSys Wi-Fi NIC's than all the other brands put together (by quite some margin.) So you might say I'm a little biased.

Confirms what I was thinking. Clever marketing blurb to make it sound like a new type of product.

Don't get me wrong - I'm sure it works just fine, but there's nothing "magic" about this solution, it's "just" another incarnation of a multi-cell Wi-Fi system (which is the best way to do Wi-Fi) that uses Wi-Fi links for the "backhaul" between the cells (which included "repeaters.) There's probably a fancy management platform - almost certainly an "app" these days.

Enterprise systems have been able to do this practically forever - it's nothing new, but is being pitched into the SOHO market as SOHO users are increasingly finding that "one router in the middle of the house" isn't working for them and they don't want to get the drills out and lay in "proper" cabled backhauls and need as much of the "management" automated as possible.

Bad ad. copy always makes me question the competence of the vendor - either they believe what they say and are "wrong" or they are indulging in massive hyperbole knowing that what they say isn't quite true. Either way isn't exactly confidence inspiring. And I'll mention again, I am rather biased against LinkSys due to past poor experiences. Others may have had better experience.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom