Lip Sync issue 100% identified. OPPO UDP-203

If you have lip sync issues at all with the LG/Oppo combo, please can you confirm if it follows the pattern described in the first post in this thread?

And what if only some Dolby Vision UHDs suffer from lip sync issues, as in my experience? As I pointed out earlier, the recently released Transformers UHDs play absolutely fine in my two HDMI setup.
I am sorry that you are having issues but I believe your conclusion is flawed and the thread title misleading. Nothing you have posted in this thread proves anything 100%.

Of course it doesn't prove anything. That's why I'm asking others to try it.

I keep saying it's not that you will notice sync issues if your just playing blu-ray or uhd discs.

It only becomes a problem when you mix SD and HD content with real cinema turned on in the TV.

Turning it off fixes that until you watch a disc with dolby vision.

Ive still not yet seen anybody confirm they are testing these circumstances.

I've had lip sync issues with my LG C6 a fair bit recently. Been bashing my head against the wall a little with it. Two different sources: PS4 Pro and Nvidia Shield.

I observed different delays for 60hz content and 23.997/24hz content. The 60hz required next to no delay on the amp, whereas the 24hz content needed around 120ms. The 24hz HAD Real Cinema enabled.

If you enabled "True Motion" and set it to 0/0 under custom settings it seems to even out the delay, so for 60hz content it adds roughly 120ms. For 24hz content it doesn't seem to add anything, so the delay remains at 24hz. Someone over on avsforum posted up an interesting analysis on it. Personally I don't like True Motion on though, even set to 0/0 the image didn't seem smooth.

After much fiddling the Shield is now largely sorted by having the auto-lip-sync on on the amp, and the option switched on for the C6 with "Bypass" ticked.

The PS4 Pro is still insanely out of sync though with Blurays. Reading online it seems to be a frequent problem not just associated with the LG. I'm using it as an excuse to pick up a new UHD player, I was debating the Oppo 203 which is why this thread caught my interest!

For what it's worth I'm using an Onkyo 656.

Afraid I can't test the DV content Jules but I'll certainly give it a shot if/when I pick up an Oppo (I'm waiting to see what comes out of CES in terms of DV capable UHD players before putting down the cash).

For those that have switched off "Real Cinema", is there a large impact on fluidity? I was under the impression it pretty much just enabled proper 24p playback instead of pulldown at 60hz.

For those that have switched off "Real Cinema", is there a large impact on fluidity? I was under the impression it pretty much just enabled proper 24p playback instead of pulldown at 60hz.
I wouldn't say stuttery... But it isn't quite as smooth.

Spotted what the issue is for myself. I picked up the sync files here: Sync-One2 test files

The issue for me appears to be with 23.97 and 29.97 content. With everything set to auto the sync is perfect on 24hz, 25hz and 60hz content. It looks like the tv isn't passing the correct delay back for those two refresh rates.

Very, very frustrating.

I will have to try this myself with my xbox one s, Whenever i watch an Atmos 4K disc i always have to turn on av sync on my LG SJ9 Atmos soundbar to 150ms to get the sound synced to their lips.

Tried my first Dolby Vision disc this evening. Spider-Man homecoming. Serious lip sync issues. Single cable setup from 203 through Onkyo TX-RZ3100 to LG55E6. Dolby Vision is active and passed through to TV ok but the movie is unwatchable due to erroneous sync which seems stubbornly and inexplicably resistant to adjustment. Both the amp and 203 sync adjustment seem to have precisely zero effect on the sync which is annoyingly just slightly but perceptibly wrong. Read the thread and the implication that LG Real Cinema might be the culprit. How do I globally turn Real Cinema on/off to test this?

How do I globally turn Real Cinema on/off to test this?
This is the problem... you can't.
Dolby Vision content forces it to be on (so you can't turn it off), and its not applicable with other non-film based content (so you can't turn it on).

Result = utterly inconsistent lip sync.

Partial solution would be for Oppo to make the lip sync adjustment more flexible and also actually work with Dolby Vision content.

This is the problem... you can't.
Dolby Vision content forces it to be on (so you can't turn it off), and its not applicable with other non-film based content (so you can't turn it on).

Result = utterly inconsistent lip sync.

Partial solution would be for Oppo to make the lip sync adjustment more flexible and also actually work with Dolby Vision content.
Yeah. i discovered all that when I was going backwards and forwards between the first five seconds of movie dialogue and the AVR and the Oppo. The bit that really narks me is that the AVR delay doesn't seem to work either when DV is being played so I was completely unable to effect any change whatsoever on the sync. I couldn't make it wildly out to start with just to see that I could have an effect. I agree that the best approach is to have Oppo make AV sync actually work.

I found it you set audio delay on the amp BEFORE you play the DV disc, then it does work.

The only problem is then knowing how much to apply because you can't adjust it on the fly... Which is why I mentioned at the start from my tests adding about 120ms seams to do the trick.

You have to of course turn this off again when playing non DV content.

So annoying, but once you know what it is you can do something (albeit faffy) about it.

Last edited:
I tried this last night. Stopped playback on the Oppo, adjusted AVR sync to +120 and restarted. No dice. It's as if the AVR sync value is ignored completely for DV reproduction. I will retry this again tonight in case I missed something. If I can get that option to work I can macro it on my remote to have +120 and -120ms delay single button presses which would be an acceptable workaround.

Confirmed that AVR delay setting on my TX-RZ3100 is completely ignored when playing Dolby Vision content. In fairness to Onkyo, the Dolby Vision pass through patch was supplied as promised by the end of 2017 but it's still a very new patch so it doesn't surprise me that i've found a little issue with it. Have reported it to Onkyo/Pioneer UK support.

Good to know! I've also got an Onkyo amp and will be looking in to Dolby Vision down the line (the new Sony X700, decided I can't afford the Oppo). The lip sync in general seems to be an issue with the 2016 LGs.

It's almost enough to make me want to swap, but then I lose 3D :( I flagged it up to LG support but they were (as usual) next to useless.

You could try the Sync settings on the E6, though they don't really let you push it too far.

You could try the Sync settings on the E6, though they don't really let you push it too far.
As I don't send sound to my E6, the setting there to control the audio delay is useless unfortunately. I need to be able to adjust the sync in my Onkyo AVR and unfortunately it's not possible for Dolby Vision currently. I think this is just an oversight by Onkyo as the AVR only recently gained DV capability (December '17 fw update). Additionally, others are reporting that they can adjust their AV sync in their AVR's for DV content so it's not a Dolby limitation either.

As I don't send sound to my E6, the setting there to control the audio delay is useless unfortunately. I need to be able to adjust the sync in my Onkyo AVR and unfortunately it's not possible for Dolby Vision currently. I think this is just an oversight by Onkyo as the AVR only recently gained DV capability (December '17 fw update). Additionally, others are reporting that they can adjust their AV sync in their AVR's for DV content so it's not a Dolby limitation either.

Have you given it a go? With auto-sync on on the Onkyo I -think- (and this is only from some faffing around) that it seemed to delay the audio for me, and I don't pass any audio through the TV, it goes straight to the amp.

I could be completely and utterly wrong but I think it might alter the values the TV sends as part of the video/audio sync, hence could have an impact (the tv should issue a value to the amp that tells it how long it's taking to process the video, so sync can be spot on. Doesn't work right for bloody 24p content though).

I'll update my Onkyo soon, but don't have any Dolby Vision content to feed it as of yet!

Have you given it a go? With auto-sync on on the Onkyo I -think- (and this is only from some faffing around) that it seemed to delay the audio for me, and I don't pass any audio through the TV, it goes straight to the amp.
I have not tried that but i'll give it a go as you indicate it as having an effect even when you are not passing audio to the TV. Interesting.

Re-enabled DV on the Oppo and set auto lip sync ON in my AVR. No effect at all. Was worth a try though. Oppo reset on HDR10 mode now.

Spoke to Oppo regarding this today I gave them a call.
A couple of things to note. This isn't an issue with LG TVs this is an issue with all tvs. They are aware of the issue with DV and it's not something that either LG or Oppo can fix. It's a DV issue.
Other players have Like sync issues on DV as well.
And DV only sends an 8 bit signal as well. It's not quite at the place it should be currently.
Anyways hold tight we are awaiting on DV to sort it out first.

I don't think Oppo should have to fix anything specific to Dolby Vision if they have coded to Dolby's spec and I suspect they have as their implementation had to go off to Dolby to get compliance approval before they could sell it. I do think however that if their lip sync feature worked for digital audio like a few here have reported it does for analogue then from an end user point of view we'd be sorted from a sync issues point of view. As for Sony's DV lite mode that Oppo are rumoured to be working on I do hope that this doesn't impact already working functionality. Would be nice if Oppo implemented that particular flavour of Dolby Vision as an optional installation. At the very least there should be a settings option to control which type of Dolby Vision we can use should we end up with two types in the Oppo. This whole new DV implementations proposed by Sony looks suspiciously like a wedge from Sony to drive people away from other brands of Dolby Vision enabled televisions to theirs. Will know for sure when their forthcoming DV enabled players show up. If they only support the Sony version of DV then the game is up.

My initial call was about DLNA and bitstream. tagged this on. No immediate updates for DV are coming out.

My initial call was about DLNA and bitstream. tagged this on. No immediate updates for DV are coming out.
If you are using your Oppo to play music from your network have you tried using an SMB share? The Oppo is a DLNA "pull" capable device so if it can see a network drive contents it can pull the actual file data so you don't have to worry about transcode issues from a DLNA server.

If you are using your Oppo to play music from your network have you tried using an SMB share? The Oppo is a DLNA "pull" capable device so if it can see a network drive contents it can pull the actual file data so you don't have to worry about transcode issues from a DLNA server.
It's playing videos that's the issue. I could try an SMB was using Plex as the DLNA server will try SMB see if that helps

It's playing videos that's the issue. I could try an SMB was using Plex as the DLNA server will try SMB see if that helps
I think you'll be onto a winner there. If it's MKV's or such then the Oppo can play them. Only thing it can't handle is 3DMVC format files and ISO's in my experience and that's due to men in suits issues rather than any technical reason. You lose the nice PLEX interface though and it's back to a Windows 1.0 file browser experience again with a weird thing where you have to select the SMB share, then the file type, then the SMB share again and then the relevant directrory/file.

no it still plays PCM. It wont bitsteam from a digital sauce. Can anyone else verify this?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom