Lip Sync issue 100% identified. OPPO UDP-203

no it still plays PCM. It wont bitsteam from a digital sauce. Can anyone else verify this?
I have network backups of bluray and DVD main title with surround audio and they play identically to selecting play movie from the disc. Full Atmos etc. Check your Oppo Audio Output settings to make sure you are actually outputting bitstream and not PCM.

I have network backups of bluray and DVD main title with surround audio and they play identically to selecting play movie from the disc. Full Atmos etc. Check your Oppo Audio Output settings to make sure you are actually outputting bitstream and not PCM.
Totally on bitstream. I'm not the only one who's had this issue.

I wonder if attaching the Oppo as a client to a DLNA server is forcing it to reproduce audio as PCM? I've never had issues bitstreaming from an SMB where the Oppo is pulling the data as opposed to having it pushed to it.

Now I may have a different issue. I can't get anything else other than PCM but I'm using a DLNA server tried but universal media and Plex both play in pcm. These are servers not a plug in on the amp. They look like SMB. For some reason I can't share media I don't have media player on my pc. And it won't add it to windows 10 seems a generic issue

Now I may have a different issue. I can't get anything else other than PCM but I'm using a DLNA server tried but universal media and Plex both play in pcm. These are servers not a plug in on the amp. They look like SMB. For some reason I can't share media I don't have media player on my pc. And it won't add it to windows 10 seems a generic issue
Try this. Take one of your video files and put it on a USB stick, plug it into the Oppo and play it from that. If that gets bitstream working then check if your router has an SMB option. If so and it has a USB port as well then you can stick a USB drive on that and it will be visible across your network. That's what I use and it works a treat.

Alright, so this lip sync problem has been driving me nuts for months. I finally stumbled across this page and I believe OP is correct. With an added bonus fix.

For reference my setup is LG C7, denon 4300, oppo 203 with one cable to the denon.

Real cinema definitely seems to be the problem. Based on the testing I just did over the last 30 minutes, I'm just going to leave it off all the time. I never have a problem with built in apps like netflix or hulu, only playing discs. The problem seemed to come and go with regular blu rays and made DV discs basically unwatchable for me. Turned real cinema off and it was like magic. I need to sit down and watch an entire movie, but for now I checked a few scenes on regular blu ray and then a couple scenes in It and all was well.

The bonus fix: To turn Real Cinema off on a DV disc, just set the picture mode on the LG to game. For me, the only other adjustment I made was moved white balance from W10 to W20 (I believe W10 is the default, pretty sure I never adjusted it). There might be further tweaks to improve quality but for now I'm just so relieved that the lip sync problem appears to be gone I don't even care.

Well, off to do some more testing.

edit: additionally set trumotion to user and dejudder to 1. was acceptable for me.

Last edited:
Alright, so this lip sync problem has been driving me nuts for months. I finally stumbled across this page and I believe OP is correct. With an added bonus fix.

For reference my setup is LG C7, denon 4300, oppo 203 with one cable to the denon.

Real cinema definitely seems to be the problem. Based on the testing I just did over the last 30 minutes, I'm just going to leave it off all the time. I never have a problem with built in apps like netflix or hulu, only playing discs. The problem seemed to come and go with regular blu rays and made DV discs basically unwatchable for me. Turned real cinema off and it was like magic. I need to sit down and watch an entire movie, but for now I checked a few scenes on regular blu ray and then a couple scenes in It and all was well.

The bonus fix: To turn Real Cinema off on a DV disc, just set the picture mode on the LG to game. For me, the only other adjustment I made was moved white balance from W10 to W20 (I believe W10 is the default, pretty sure I never adjusted it). There might be further tweaks to improve quality but for now I'm just so relieved that the lip sync problem appears to be gone I don't even care.

Well, off to do some more testing.

edit: additionally set trumotion to user and dejudder to 1. was acceptable for me.

Very interesting. I thought picture mode during Dolby Vision playback was locked? I have an E6 not a C6 but if this works you will have made my day. :)

Are there any updates on this issue?

Are there actually steps to fix/help this issue, or do we have to wait for Dolby to fix Dolby Vision, and then for LG to release a fix?

I managed to get Real Cinema turned off for SDR and HDR 24Hz 4K sources, but I can not find a way to turn it off with Dolby Vision sources. The 2016 LG’s (B6, C6, etc) don’t have a Dolby Vision “Game Mode”, which Althekiller mentioned as a fix on his C7.

I suffer the same lip sync issues with DV. C8, 203 & Yamaha RXa3070. I’ve tired the two hdmi and one hdmi route. It’s random, I’ve rewound parts of a DV film and played again and the lip sync was not there anymore. At first I though it might have been the adjustments I made on the audio delay via the Oppo and my amp. But I really don’t think the adjustments changed anything. I’m pretty surprised the forum and elsewhere online don’t really have much conversation on it.

Is lip synch still an issue after the last 203 firmware update with DV discs and LG Oleds. Especially 2016 ones with the latest LG firmware (that being 5.30.30 on my E6)?

Last edited:
Is lip synch still an issue after the last 203 firmware update with DV discs and LG Oleds. Especially 2016 ones with the latest LG firmware (that being 5.30.30 on my E6)?
Which update for the Oppo was that? I’m on 20XEU-60-0625.

That's the one.
Some forced and some DV films still have the slightest lipsync for me. It’s always been slight though. I have an 2018 LG OLED. It’s so slight sometimes I can’t tell if the audio is behind or in front :(

Today is a very happy day. I spoke to Onkyo tech support today and got someone who actually was aware of the Dolby Vision audio synch issue between the Oppo 203/5, my Onkyo TX-RZ3100 and my LG E6. The solution to the problem is embarrassingly simple. Turn on CEC on the LG TV. Not on the AVR, just the TV. I was sceptical due to all the issues I've had with CEC down the years but I sighed and gave it a go. It's perfect! Seems that CEC enabled on TV only passes audio synch control to the TV which tells the amp how much delay to apply. Crucially, it does not enable ARC so you still get full fat 7.1/Atmos etc. It's the missing piece of my A/V puzzle finally solved!

Last edited:
So I will agree that RC is having an impact, but I do not agree that this lip sync issue is anything to do with the Oppo player. I experience EXACTLY the same symptoms with the Oppo and the Apple TV 4K. 4K Dolby Vision content goes out of sync and they both have a 126ms delay. I strongly believe the that LG TV itself is at fault. My LG is a C6 and I'm using a Denon AVR-X6300H (single cable). Can anyone else confirm that they get the same delay with the ATV 4K and the Oppo?
I have also previously said that the built in apps had the same delay, but after tinkering with these settings tonight the Netflix app no longer needs the delay set for DV content and I've always had the lip sync issues with it before, so that it confusing me.
I have only just noticed this today, bought a new b7 a few weeks ago and only played games on it. Today I noticed the lag with both my Xbox and blu ray player while ‘trying’ to play return of the jedi. I cannot get them in sync and it’s driving me nuts!

I can add that I have an Oppo 103 and an LG 55EC930v OLED tv and I get the same issue with any 24fps Blu-ray. I have real cinema set to On.

I have to add the 126ms as per this thread to correct the lip sync. So this is not limited to just DV content on 203’s, in my experience.

Today is a very happy day. I spoke to Onkyo tech support today and got someone who actually was aware of the Dolby Vision audio synch issue between the Oppo 203/5, my Onkyo TX-RZ3100 and my LG E6. The solution to the problem is embarrassingly simple. Turn on CEC on the LG TV. Not on the AVR, just the TV. I was sceptical due to all the issues I've had with CEC down the years but I sighed and gave it a go. It's perfect! Seems that CEC enabled on TV only passes audio synch control to the TV which tells the amp how much delay to apply. Crucially, it does not enable ARC so you still get full fat 7.1/Atmos etc. It's the missing piece of my A/V puzzle finally solved!

I've had issues with Dolby Vision lip sync - but not other material. I tried this on Spiderman: Homecoming and it was comfortably the best sync I've had with that movie. I set the AV delay back to 0 before trying this (and previously that was way off). I will try some other movies like 2001 (where I had similar issues and see if it works there too). The advantage with the CEC is it doesn't seem to interfere with other non-DV content. Like you Cap, I had turned CEC off to fix other issues in the past (although I can't remember what they were now - lol)

My setup is multiple devices into Receiver and then single cable to TV. Oppo-203, LG 65B6, Pioneer SC-LX901

Has anyone any further developments on this? I watched Dario Argento’s Opera on Blu Ray (24p) and the lip sync is significant. This is with RC turned off. On and off made no difference at all. My amp passes the video straight no processing. I run a single HDMI from Oppo 203 to the amp. Arc HDMI port to TV. Cannot find an answer after trawling the net for a number of hours. Also had the issue Mortal Engines UHD 4K in DV. Not as pronounced, just bearable.

My lip sync is always just slightly off. Using B7 with Marantz 6012.

Has anyone any further developments on this? I watched Dario Argento’s Opera on Blu Ray (24p) and the lip sync is significant. This is with RC turned off. On and off made no difference at all. My amp passes the video straight no processing. I run a single HDMI from Oppo 203 to the amp. Arc HDMI port to TV. Cannot find an answer after trawling the net for a number of hours. Also had the issue Mortal Engines UHD 4K in DV. Not as pronounced, just bearable.
Or am I being dumb and this is how it was originally dubbed? Poorly!?

All the time? No matter the source?
Yes, I haven’t troubleshooted extensively but everything through the marantz-tv has a slight delay, im well versed in a variety of tv’s and i can’t stand the lg as an overall product. The picture is stunning but everything else about it drives me nuts.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom