eamon

Established Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to get live uk channels on ATV? Thanks

Live TV = No.
You can only get BBC iPlayer, ITV, 4, 5 catch up apps

Live TV = No.
You can only get BBC iPlayer, ITV, 4, 5 catch up apps

Thanks, I thought that was the case. Do you know of another way to get it, I want to ditch Sky but can’t put an arial up as the house is rented [emoji20]?

Hi mate, what TV do you have? it may have a sat connection and freest epg. If not then a freesat box shouldn't be to expensive (I am assuming you have the none Q version of sky)

cheers

Hi mate, what TV do you have? it may have a sat connection and freest epg. If not then a freesat box shouldn't be to expensive (I am assuming you have the none Q version of sky)

cheers

Hi, thanks for reminding me, yes it does have freesat hd, unfortunately I have sky q, I’ve tried in the hope it still works but it picks up all the channels in the epg but when you select any channel it says no signal?

Tv player app

Thanks, I’ve downloaded it and I can get the channels thanks! Just need to get the ok from the boss but I think she may say the quality isn’t good enough [emoji20]

Hi, thanks for reminding me, yes it does have freesat hd, unfortunately I have sky q, I’ve tried in the hope it still works but it picks up all the channels in the epg but when you select any channel it says no signal?

U will need to switch the lnb mate, sky q uses a FBC tuner. U can get hybrids but it needs to be specified when the install was done. Fortunately a compatible lnb is very cheap and getting it swapped should be cheaper than fitting an aerial (which I know u can’t do) u just unplug the connectors unclip the old lnb put the new one in and refscrew the connectors. Depending on dish location and whether you feel comfortable u could do it yourself. If not it will be a 5 min job for a tv/aerial guy.

I have the normal atv and have used tvplayer, it ok as a fallback but picture is not the best, I also found motion seemed a bit off

Cheers

U will need to switch the lnb mate, sky q uses a FBC tuner. U can get hybrids but it needs to be specified when the install was done. Fortunately a compatible lnb is very cheap and getting it swapped should be cheaper than fitting an aerial (which I know u can’t do) u just unplug the connectors unclip the old lnb put the new one in and refscrew the connectors. Depending on dish location and whether you feel comfortable u could do it yourself. If not it will be a 5 min job for a tv/aerial guy.

I have the normal atv and have used tvplayer, it ok as a fallback but picture is not the best, I also found motion seemed a bit off

Cheers

Thanks, I’ll see how much an lnb swap will cost

Thanks, I’ll see how much an lnb swap will cost
Just going through this myself, bought a new lnb for £12 on amazon. Haven't fitted it yet though...

You say you cannot put an aerial up yet your house has an ugly dish attached. I doubt the owner would mind, also does the aerial need to mounted on the roof?
Is there not an aerial socket by the TV with a connection to the loft?

You say you cannot put an aerial up yet your house has an ugly dish attached. I doubt the owner would mind, also does the aerial need to mounted on the roof?
Is there not an aerial socket by the TV with a connection to the loft?

They don’t want more holes drilling! Unfortunately we are in a dip so loft mounting is not an option, aerials around us are mounted on massive poles!

You can watch BBC live via the iPlayer. Not sure if you can with ITV etc...

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
I do like solutions like HDhomerun etc as it allows much more flexibility with regards to TV placement. I use an E2 receiver for this very purpose (similar to sky q with a sky mini I guess) and have it serving various streaming boxes and tvs around the house (including an atv)

It does read really good. Do you know if you can get a freesat version of it or a similar device?

I'm not sure as I have a Freeview Aerial installed on my house, I would contact HDHomerun but I think they focus on aerial related products.

I don’t think there are any official FreesatSolutions mate (Freesat is just the epg really). I don’t think hdhomerun do a dvb s2 but there are other products, vbox would be one. U could of course build a server and fit tuners. Or us a low powered nas by synology/netgear etc. Enigma 2 sat receivers will also do it, u can even get e2 receivers with FBC tuners so that would not need to be changed. Problem with all this is whilst they all do have an epg with various capability’s they do take a bit of messing to set up, also the epg is probably not as wife friendly as say a dedicated freesat solution. All the above though will work with an Apple TV either through native apps or as a preinstalled addon within mrmc (kodi)

I don’t think there are any official FreesatSolutions mate (Freesat is just the epg really). I don’t think hdhomerun do a dvb s2 but there are other products, vbox would be one. U could of course build a server and fit tuners. Or us a low powered nas by synology/netgear etc. Enigma 2 sat receivers will also do it, u can even get e2 receivers with FBC tuners so that would not need to be changed. Problem with all this is whilst they all do have an epg with various capability’s they do take a bit of messing to set up, also the epg is probably not as wife friendly as say a dedicated freesat solution. All the above though will work with an Apple TV either through native apps or as a preinstalled addon within mrmc (kodi)

That might be a plan for the future [emoji1]

Consumer - Silicon Dust

They are releasing 2 new models in the UK - Connect Duo and Quatro.
The old connect is no longer available.

According to their forums they should have been released at the end of last year, but that slipped. The release is meant to be imminent.

Is it possible to get live uk channels on ATV? Thanks
I’m not sure if I’m missing something given the negative responses but it is possible to get live tv on the ATV albeit streamed via the TVPlayer app. It’s got all free view channels and a few more that can be accessed via a paired tier. Further, if you are up for some DNS trickery, Swiss app Zattoo streams the UK main channels as well as a bunch of continental channels. Good for a laugh that. But anyways. Yeah, you can stream lots of live tv in the UK on the Apple TV.

Edit - the quality on Zattoo appears better than TV Player. That said, the iPlayer streams in HD and the quality is excellent.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom