Answered LoftBox Help?

chrsknt

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Thanks for reading my first post and apologies for my basic knowledge on this...

I’ve just moved into a new house and it appears as though they have a loft box installed.
I am getting freeview in the lounge which is fine, however in no other room. I am due to get a Sky Q box installed in 2 weeks.

From reading up, I understand this is happening because the loop isn’t complete due to no RF output from the lounge. I don’t want this, I only want FreeView in the other rooms.

How do I go about completing the loop, ensuring freeview still feeds to the lounge and all other rooms.

Photos attached for reference.

2nd photo - that loose coax was plugged into the Digibox UHF2 slot before I started messing with it!

Thanks in advance!

7D6D0C10-01E0-422C-B5FF-562DD375E69E.jpeg
49A3CEB2-5A22-4978-AFD3-830E1B795FD3.jpeg
9CAC3313-127D-4052-A37A-DD55A5B9B6F2.jpeg
B2940ED5-4298-42C1-A494-21F7F32C55D9.jpeg

At a guess the cable by the Digibox UHF2 socket on loft box will probably be connected to the unmarked socket on the lounge faceplate right hand side. That is sometimes marked RETURN (intended for RF2 out from older Sky boxes, allowing magic eye control, too.)

NB it is a good idea to mark up / lable the existing cables and note where connected to loft box. Masking tape 'flags' can work well.

Option 1: Use a splitter like Outlet Link | TRIAX UK - Wall outlets|Outlet Link from TRIAX to feed the aerial back up to loft box. It will lose some signal to both main TV and rest of house. About 4dB, just over half.

Option 2: Use loft box as simple 4-way distribution amplifier:
Move TV Ant(enna) cable to UHF2 socket... Then all rooms except Lounge should work.
To get that working, move "Living Room" cable to replace one of the four outputs to other rooms that is not needed. If all 5 room feeds are needed, then a 2-way splitter for two of the closest rooms would be ideal (shortest cable runs lose least signal, and the splitter loss is after the amplification, which is better, usually.) All metal F-connector types are best, but a short joiner cable will need to be made, using decent double screened all copper cable ideally.

That loft box does not seem to have a satellite lnb feed connected. So I assume any existing Sky box has a separate 2-cable feed. Note that Q uses a special lnb that is incompatible with older Sky boxes and freesat, but Sky can provide compatible 'hybrid lnbs' if asked that works for both systems.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom