Logitech Z5500 + BX5a studio monitors

ash122000

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone

I have a logitech Z5500 surround sound system but would like to use my BX5a active studio monitors as the front right and left speakers.
The Z5500 only has speaker wire outputs and the BX5a need a line level 6.35 jack in or XLR.
Would one of these converters work without frying the BX5a's for each left and right speakers? Low Impedance Converter Adapter Speaker and then a RCA to 6.35 jack.

Heres the manuals for both Logitech and the BX5a if anybody needs to look at the specs.
Logitech Z5500
BX5A

Any help would be much appreciated
Thanks
Alex

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Active monitors are used when the amp or receiver has pre-outs, hence the 6.35 jack. They would certainly work with receivers that are equipped with pre-outs. What do you think you are losing when using the Logitech's own speakers as even with the monitors the Logitech's signature is going to be the driving factor, if it will indeed work.

Active monitors are used when the amp or receiver has pre-outs, hence the 6.35 jack. They would certainly work with receivers that are equipped with pre-outs. What do you think you are losing when using the Logitech's own speakers as even with the monitors the Logitech's signature is going to be the driving factor, if it will indeed work.

Thanks for the reply. Im trying to reduce desk space by not having both the Logitech front speakers and the BX5a. I use the BX5a for sound mixing but would also like to use these with the Logitech as well. Do you think the adapters would work?

I really don't know. What I'm going to do is move this question to the Cables and Switches section as there might be more help there from more knowledgeable people.

Thanks for the reply. Im trying to reduce desk space by not having both the Logitech front speakers and the BX5a. I use the BX5a for sound mixing but would also like to use these with the Logitech as well. Do you think the adapters would work?
This is your new home for the question. Perhaps you should edit your theme to reflect that switch.

Can you add more detail on the system and what you want to achieve - trying to ‘mix’ the very different spec hardware is not that obvious a solution.

Joe

Can you add more detail on the system and what you want to achieve - trying to ‘mix’ the very different spec hardware is not that obvious a solution.

Joe

Hi Joe
I'm using the Logitech z5500 as my main audio amplifier system which is connected to my iMac via optical. The z5500 is a surround system which includes 5 satellite speakers and a sub. The z5500 only outputs via speaker wire level and I believe the satellite speakers are 8ohms impedance. I also have two MAudio BX5a studio monitors (20k ohm balanced / 10k ohm un-balanced input impedance) which are active and only take line-in signals via either XLR or 6.3m jacks which i use for sound mixing now and again. My goal is to just have the BX5a's on my desk rather than having the two front / right Z5500 speakers as well (saving desk space)

So what I need is a way to connect the Z5500 left and right speaker wire outputs to my two BX5a active speakers 6.3m jacks. Which is why I'm thinking a speaker level to line level converter might work but I'm unsure if this would work and also what exact spec adapter I would need to get to match impedance etc.

Hope that's enough information.

Thanks,
Alex

Would you not simply ditch the z5500 system and connect the active monitors direct to the iMac - I’m assuming the active monitors sound better than the Z5500 in stereo mode!

Joe

Put simply, yes the speaker adapters will work, but you may need to make up cables to the xlr inputs hot and cold pins so that you retain a floating ground. This is because the Logitec system uses what amount to bridged amplifiers and most speaker adapters will short the negative connection to ground.

Once you overcome that little issue, you then have the matter of the eq and high pass filter that the system will apply to the outputs. It might not sound great and you won't have much ability to correct it either

So yes, technically it can be done, but the end result might not be great.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom