Question Looking for 55" Best Value Around £1000 mark

ctyldsley

Novice Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out what the best buy around the £1000 mark (give or take a little) is for a 55" TV for the parents. I'm looking for something with a central stand (their entertainment center wouldn't fit a TV with feet on either side), 4K, solid HDR performance to future proof it as much as possible, and a good range of SMART features/apps e.g all the major catchup apps, Netflix and Amazon.

I don't mind if it's something slightly over budget then we can hopefully keep an eye out for a deal. Any suggestions really appreciated!

For £1000 you can get a 55" Sony XE85. However if you need solid HDR performance then you'll want to look at the XE90, it is currently £1350 at 55". Sony claim HDR support for the XE85 but don't be fooled, it is not a capable HDR TV, the XE90 is the cheapest truly HDR capable TV that you can buy.

For £1000 you can get a 55" Sony XE85. However if you need solid HDR performance then you'll want to look at the XE90, it is currently £1350 at 55". Sony claim HDR support for the XE85 but don't be fooled, it is not a capable HDR TV, the XE90 is the cheapest truly HDR capable TV that you can buy.

If you search online you can find 10% currys discount on this, picked mine up for £1215 - well worth the extra

From looking into a TV around this size for myself and the main points being 4K and HDR the following may be of interest:

49XE9005

May be smaller but has all the actual 4K and HDR you are looking for (not too sure on the stand as I would be wall mounting whatever I purchased so never looked into that and can't remember from memory). Also, I personally wasn't looking at it for the Apps or smart function so I am not 100% whether it has those either.

Other than that there is a 58" Panasonic but I presume this would be too big for their entertainment centre?

Okay in the time I typed that out (went to make a cup of tea mid way through) I see other people have already suggested and helped you out there :laugh:

Future proofing isn't really possible with so much moving so fast in the TV industry, but as already suggested the Sony XE90 is the stand out model and the bare minimum for HDR this year. One thing that is worth considering if you are willing to wait or spend more is to go also for a model with dolby vision support.

Maybe if reviews are good the Hisense NU8700 will be a good alternative at a lower price point, usually Hisense models are discounted a lot more than Sony over time and whilst it doesn't match the Sony in quality and I'm not sure yet if its worth the saving of £200 over the Sony, it may end up being the cheapest HDR capable TV this year.

Its worth noting that if you are willing to buy at the right time and can stretch the budget you will likely be able to step up a model range and look at TVs like the Sony XE93 instead which has dolby vision support or alternatively even get close to being able to afford the 65" XE90 instead.

Don't underestimate screen size, especially with UHD meaning you need to view a lot closer to see a difference.

And there are also the LG OLEDs which, if you can buy at the right time are looking to be even cheaper than last years models (they are already down to circa £1600 now). To give you an idea last year people were picking up those models for close to £1500 at black Friday and even cheaper than that in spring, the time when TVs are historically at their cheapest. That is a lot of TV for the money and bang for buck wise will beat any of the aforementioned options if you can afford it...they also have Dolby vision support.

Thanks for all your replies, it's much appreciated. I think the XE90 may be the best bet in the price bracket. Whilst it's £250 more than the XE80 I would feel uncomfortable recommending spending £1000 on a TV that isn't capable of solid HDR performance given how it's only going to become a more common thing particularly on digital services like Netflix, Amazon etc. I think stretching the budget that ever so little bit further will keep things a little bit more future proof.

I did take a look at the Hisense NU8700 but struggled to find any comprehensive reviews and at only marginally cheaper than what you can get the XE90 for it seems like a bit of a risk.

It'll probably be worth waiting until nearer Black Friday to see what we kind of prices we can get. Hopefully shave off a little bit more.

If they can go larger the Philips 65PUS7601 is worth a look, it's been down to £1350 in the last couple of weeks. It's cracking value for a 65" TV.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom