Looking for a 49' Smart TV On Sale for Gaming/kodi ? £300-400! Bedroom viewing

truewraith666

Standard Member
Reaction score
hi

seeing all this 20% codes via ebay and wondered if someone can recommend me a good 49' TV please if anyone can spare a little time i dont have much money so this price range is great for me at this moment in time :)

We have
ps4,xbox1 for gaming
and use the raspberrypi with kodi for movies etc
and looking for the smart tv part to be good for youtube mainly as it wont work well on kodi anymore or at all.
not sure what all that that WebOs is about yet...

i did look at this and they seam ok but theres always small print these days so any help would be great and maybe the post will others later if they need.

Samsung UE50RU7020 50" Ultra HD Smart 4K HDR TV
LG 49UM7400PLB 49" ULTRA HD 4K TV
Hisense H50B7500UK 50 4K Ultra HD Certified Smart LED TV

Check out the best buys here: My best value TVs, 2019-2020 Edition
You'll want to read the opening post, specifically the bits about panel type before you compare TVs like the LG that uses an IPS panel at 49" to TVs using VA like the Hisense and Samsung.

If you intend to use Kodi built in you'll want a TV running android like TCL, Philips or Sony.

ok thanks for that, i was only asking because of the sale code at the moment for ebay and thought i could have chance at a good tv for my budget so my family would be happy with :)

All the TVs you have picked would be best buys anyway, without the discount, so it really is up to you. Choose first based on which panel type you like the sound of. VA or IPS. Will make your choice easier.

For example, many people will want a TV like the LG using an IPS panel because they have people that view the TV not just in front, but off-centre. Whereas other people may prefer TVs like the Samsung or Hisense because they have better picture quality when viewed direct in front. There's key differences that can make one panel better than the next for different conditions.

oh right i didnt know that, theres so much tech on these tvs these days its very hard to choose, the tv im after would be for the bedroom so its for direct viewing i guess as its at the bottom of the bed raised on a unit

and im sorry if my questions have been asked a million times i dont want to waste anyones time i was just hoping someone would say hey this is perfect for u and what u need .

You aren't wasting anyone's time. Don't worry about it.

If the TV is for a bedroom and you view head on the Samsung or the Hisense you picked out would be good. There's really not much between them, so much so that side by side you may not even notice a difference between them.

Go for the Samsung if you like the idea of a more established smart system. Its pretty good to use. Go for the Hisense if you want an extra HDMI port, it has 4 instead of 3.

My own choice would be the Hisense since it got a good review here on AVF. The Samsung is a bit more of an unknown with things like out of the box picture accuracy if that is a concern for you. Hisense is also better suited with Dolby Vision rather than HDR10+ and it has a wide colour gamut too. Generally Hisense don't make as much money as others when they sell TVs, which is why its marginally better spec than the Samsung around the same price. Really the Samsung that would be spot on in spec compared to the Hisense would be the RU7400 series. They are all eerily similar in picture quality though so its not worth worrying about, all perform well for their price range.

thanks for explaining all that it makes alot of sense now and that links got so much info about that tv which made a great read and learned alot from it and i most likely look out for the 50' version of that Hisense U7B H55U7BUK as i did see that on ebay for £399 and seams to ahve everything that i need i know the veiwing angle is 176 and not 178 but we will in direct view so should be fine and its got all the ports i need.

is the Samsung one your talking about the one that i mentioned
Samsung UE50RU7020 50" Ultra HD Smart 4K HDR TV ?

the Hisense U7B (H55U7BUK) sounds great but i dont really need an extra hdmi socket if the samsung in same price range of £400 is slightly better established smart system!

so im glad that its narrowed down now as i have less to chose from if thats the samsung your talking about! thanks

The way specs rank between TVs:

Samsung 50RU7xxx models = Hisense 50B7100/ 50B7300 / 50B7120
Samsung 50RU74xx models = Hisense 50B7500

The Hisense 50U7B is the same as the 50B7500 but with an extra HDMI port. If you want only 3 HDMI ports then you do not need the 50U7B and can go for either Samsung models or Hisense one above.

There's too many models within a range to give exact model numbers, hence why I marked the xx. The xx part could be different model numbers but they are all the same TVs. The small differences will be with things like the remote control type included or the aesthetics of the TV.

ok thanks very much im so glad i found someone willing to help with so much knowledge as you.

i got lost a little there looking for the 7400 models

i will just choose between the Samsung 50RU74xx models & Hisense 50B7500, but i do like the 7400's with smart features but they are a little high priced for me right now.

Last edited:
Theres really very little in it between all the TVs. I'd recommend the B7500 but if you go for the Samsung 50RU70xx then you aren't losing out if you prefer a Samsung instead.

just waiting for an offer coming up somewhere hehe, one thing i forgot to ask these tvs are ok with SD content arnt they via kodi etc

just waiting for an offer coming up somewhere hehe, one thing i forgot to ask these tvs are ok with SD content arnt they via kodi etc
A 4k TVs forte is with high quality material, so SD stuff won't be so great on them. Streams are typically very poor quality and don't do to well upscaled to 4k compared to HD. There's not much you can do about that though other than to buy a HD TV instead, and lose out on being able to display 4k natively.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom