Looking for a 49" TV for mother between £350 and £450.

lewys

Hi,

I'm looking for a 49" smart TV for my mother and she doesn't want to pay more that 400 ( might be able to get her to push it to 450 if it's worth the extra)

She needs it to be a smart TV so she has Netflix and I player along with other apps and she already has a free sat box to connect it to. 4K would also be a bonus even though she doesn't have any 4k devices yet ( I know it won't be good 4k on something this cheap) it'll be good to have.

She ideally would like to buy it from a store and not online so something like maybe argos or curry's.

Anyone have any recommendations? I was looking at the Sony kd49xf7073su but not sure if there are better for cheaper.

Dodgexander

Are you looking for a TV with a freesat tuner built in or do you want to keep the existing box?

Does she view direct in front or to the side also, do you know? See: Which panel type should I choose for my TV?

The Sony, although not my first choice is a decent option for someone who wants a TV with good viewing angles to either side of the TV, but in turn is not the best option for someone who wants the best picture quality in terms of blacks and contrast from the front. Its smart TV platform is also very basic, but all the apps are there.

Is she open to buy from online retailers with physical store locations or only in the shop? If you buy direct in the shop you are often subject to worse return polices when it comes to returning the product if unhappy. Its also a good idea when buying to get a free 5-6 year warranty if you can, something that stores such as Argos do not offer.

EDIT* A recent thread here is quite similar: Advice Needed on Which TV to Buy 49" to 55" they opted for a FHD Samsung M5000 which they got for £250. The smart version of the same model is the M55xx series rather than M50xx which may still be available in certain shops. One reason to go with a HD model instead if you don't have many UHD sources is because the less upscaling the TV has to do, the better it will present poor quality video such as that on normal/catchup TV.

lewys

Are you looking for a TV with a freesat tuner built in or do you want to keep the existing box?

Does she view direct in front or to the side also, do you know? See: Which panel type should I choose for my TV?

The Sony, although not my first choice is a decent option for someone who wants a TV with good viewing angles to either side of the TV, but in turn is not the best option for someone who wants the best picture quality in terms of blacks and contrast from the front. Its smart TV platform is also very basic, but all the apps are there.

Is she open to buy from online retailers with physical store locations or only in the shop? If you buy direct in the shop you are often subject to worse return polices when it comes to returning the product if unhappy. Its also a good idea when buying to get a free 5-6 year warranty if you can, something that stores such as Argos do not offer.

EDIT* A recent thread here is quite similar: Advice Needed on Which TV to Buy 49" to 55" they opted for a FHD Samsung M5000 which they got for £250. The smart version of the same model is the M55xx series rather than M50xx which may still be available in certain shops. One reason to go with a HD model instead if you don't have many UHD sources is because the less upscaling the TV has to do, the better it will present poor quality video such as that on normal/catchup TV.
She'd probably use the existing box she has.

TV is in the corner of the room and the lay out is kinda like the picture the guy posted in the thread you edited in your firsy post. She would sit on the left sofa on the right side of it.

To be honest she doesn't really care about the picture quality really just needs a new TV as her old 8+ year Samsung has this wired black mark going down the left hand side. She is using my Sony w7 series from like 2014 at the moment from the spare room.

What about that 50 hisense u7a that was posted in the thread you mentioned. You think that's OK?

Dodgexander

If she doesn't need wide viewing angles then the 50" Hisense is a good bet yes, as would be other 50" models from Samsung and LG.

Many people prefer the smart system of Samsung or LG instead of Hisense, but all are easy to use and all TVs will have similar picture quality.

lewys

If she doesn't need wide viewing angles then the 50" Hisense is a good bet yes, as would be other 50" models from Samsung and LG.

Many people prefer the smart system of Samsung or LG instead of Hisense, but all are easy to use and all TVs will have similar picture quality.

Thank you. The hisense may be too much not sure yet. Could. You recommend an LG or a Samsung 50 inch for around 350 or 400? Maybe 450 that is widely available? I think she will consider John Lewis online and amazon if there is anything on those sites. Probably going to need something with a user friendly smart TV system.

Dodgexander

Thank you. The hisense may be too much not sure yet. Could. You recommend an LG or a Samsung 50 inch for around 350 or 400? Maybe 450 that is widely available? I think she will consider John Lewis online and amazon if there is anything on those sites. Probably going to need something with a user friendly smart TV system.
I find pricespy.co.uk is a useful tool to search because many of the same model TVs have differences in model numbers.

Here is a search for the 50" LGs beginning model number 50UK6xxx. They are all the same picture quality with only differences in aesthetics and small features. One of them is available from Richer, I would certainly recommend going with them instead of Curry's/AO but its up to you. Its worth noting that most of these 50UK6 models come with the standard remote controls whilst the 50UK69xx series comes with the LG smart remote. If you think she will like the idea of the point and shoot style of the LG smart remote, it may be worth spending extra on this model. Something that is well suited to LGs navigation in its operating system but perhaps too intuitive for some older people.

Here is a search for the Samsung models starting with 50NU70xx which again will all be the same picture quality apart from the NU74xx ones which have better colours if using HDR, which really from your usage description would only be selected titles on Netflix if she subscribes to a Netflix UHD plan. The should have freesat compatibility too if she finds she doesn't use recording much anymore and dumps the tuner box.

Hope this helps. The model numbers are very trivial and not clear at all.

EDIT* if you wanted to go with Hisense still, the A series is also recommended, once again lots of different models number with the same picture quality:

Hisense U7A on Pricespy

Hisense A series on Pricespy

Here would be the hierachy of specs:

Hisense A series = LG UK6 series = Samsung 50NU71 series.

Hisense U7A = Samsung 50NU74 series (these add wide colour gamuts, useful for better colour but only with HDR.