Question Looking for a TV for the mother in-law

mcloum

Standard Member
Reaction score
Morning all,

The mother in law is still using a 43" plasma which is a bit bulky. She has just moved house and was thinking of a new TV. She doesnt need anything over 49" due to the space it will be going in. Also the table it will be sitting on is a strange shape (kinda like this) i think the max width of the table is 19" at its widest point so she is limited tot he type of feet/stand on the TV.

I'm thinking something in the £400 range, but its been a while since i've bought a TV.

Does anyone have any comments on something like the Panasonic TX49GX550B She hasnt got Sky Q/HD, the only 4K source she has is a Firestick which is used periodically.

Would there be issues with an SD picture on this TV?

Or if someone can recommend something else it would be appreciated.

Cheers

Mike

You can fit your own universal TV stand to any TV using the wall-mounting holes that each TV comes equipped with. They can be bought cheaply online from places like Amazon and eBay.

If she watches a lot of regular TV still you may be better off just looking at a HD model instead. Will she view head on or need wide viewing angles?

I'd avoid that Panasonic personally, they outsource production of their lower tier models to Vestel in Turkey and tend to have worse build quality.

There is a very slight viewing angle, but nothing to worry about. The stupid thing is she has a really nice TV unit that is rectangle shaped but she doesn't want to use it!

I had considered the universal stand unit but she is concerned about stability as someone in Richer sounds put her off them!

Can you even buy 1080 TVs still?

Not sure why they would say that, the stands that come with TVs are typically plastic feet that only snap on underneath, those are a lot more unstable than fitting your own custom stand to the rear of the TV.

HD models are still available, the Sony 50" models are good options for picture quality if she doesn't need wide viewing angles: Sony Bravia KDL-50WF663 (TVs)

If you look explicitly for a TV with the middle stand design though you will be limited to UHD models, I'd suggest the Hisense 50B7500, but Samsung, LG and Philips also do 50" models if you prefer those instead. They are somewhat more of unknown when it comes to reviews so things like out of the box picture accuracy may not be as good as the Hisense, but will all have as good blacks and contrast as the Hisense.

Upscaling is going to be worse on an UHD model, but its unlikely your "typical" mother in law is going to notice that.

Her old Plasma may be big and bulky, but there's a chance it can still be better at displaying regular TV than these new TVs. The advancement in tech is really only beneficial to higher quality content.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom