Question Looking for advice about ripping films from dvd & Blu-ray (if possible)

dspit1664

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Can’t imagine this hasn’t been asked but here goes -
Have many dvd and Blu-ray Discs we want to rip to hdd as well as many music cd’s too.

It’s been sometime since I’ve looked into this. I’ve used handbrake before.

I've got a Qnap 251b currently with 8gb ram (but although not officially supported read that 16gb should work fine too). Currently only 2x2TB discs. Fully aware if I’m going to rip all these I’ll need larger discs which isn’t a problem.

Have Wi-fi and physical network also shortly will get FTTH too. I mention this as moving fwd also want to future proof myself so can stream recorded stored music / video from home to remote when away from home so family can access / watch films too.
Also have Plex which I intend to use as my main UI for all photos/music/video.

what is the best way to rip above on to hdd software.?
What’s the best format to use?
Incl in my q’s if possible would be to maintain quality/subtitles/dvd extras ie rip all of the dvd / Blu-ray if possible.
Thanks for your help looking forward to reading your answers. 👍

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for moving to another forum as might get some (any) feedback 👍👍

For Movies/TV shows you can use MakeMKV (free) and rip to MKV.

For CD you can use dBpoweramp (21 day trial) and rip to Flac.

All the above is lossless.

You don't need to upgrade your RAM just for serving media.

I have 2x 8-bay Synology NAS units. One has 2GB and one has 8GB. For streaming without transcoding they work equally well.
If you want to stream media to mobiles, tablets, when you're away from home etc Plex is great.
If you just want to a device connected to a TV I'd go with Kodi instead of Plex.

The main difference is that with Plex, you have a device, such as your NAS, working as the Plex server, this streams data to client, transcoding the video and audio where the client can't play it back natively or has restricted bandwidth.
Whether your NAS is up to the job of doing this, you'll have to do some research as transcoding takes a bit of grunt.

With Kodi, the client device which would be some kind of streamer such as a Nvidia Shield TV or Vero4K does all the hard work and plays the files at full bitrate, not compressing them (Plex can do this as well, if you buy the correct client device) but your NAS is only doing the simple task of serving files, not trying to transcode the video and audio.

Also, another vote for MakeMKV.

My advice is to avoid Plex, too buggy and slow.
Thumbs up for MakeMKV.
Any of the current 4k media players from Himedia, Zidoo or Egreat will stream from NAS and from USB too. I even use mine for IPTV also.

Any recommendations ?
I want
Simple UI / playback films / videos / music / view photos I went for plex because it seemed easy to use and can be accessed remotely by many device types and you can DL videos on those devices.

If you just want to a device connected to a TV I'd go with Kodi instead of Plex.
Have multiple TV's want to stream from the NAS to all (perhaps all at same time but at very least at least 2 if not 4)
Also want to access music via iphones/Sonos and Alexa devices dotted around the house. Guessing would thus need a hw client for each TV too ?

My advice is to avoid Plex, too buggy and slow.
Thumbs up for MakeMKV.
Any of the current 4k media players from Himedia, Zidoo or Egreat will stream from NAS and from USB too. I even use mine for IPTV also.
Yeah will be thinking about IPTV soon. I do not currently have any 4k TV's pr 4K media streamers.

For the short term budget is quite small as other stuff going on kids/holiday/stuff/xmas you know how it is lol

Long term 'slowly slowly catchy monkey' the wife aka gadget police wants the access etc but watching the £££ lol

The idea is to have less h/w and use software apps to stream via e.g. amazon firestick/etc

Last edited:
Yeah will be thinking about IPTV soon. I do not currently have any 4k TV's pr 4K media streamers.

For the short term budget is quite small as other stuff going on kids/holiday/stuff/xmas you know how it is lol

Long term 'slowly slowly catchy monkey' the wife aka gadget police wants the access etc but watching the £££ lol

The idea is to have less h/w and use software apps to stream via e.g. amazon firestick/etc
You need media player to do it all.
One good size NAS.
Loads of bandwidth.
Big A 4K tv
4k avr
Dolby Atmos

Booyah brah :)

Simple and sweet.

Thanks all some good advice.

To try and clarify what I’m looking for:
The idea is to have less h/w at the client end and use software apps to stream via e.g. amazon firestick/via iPhone / via app on tv/etc.
Yep understand transcoding will be done on server (Believe Qnap 251b does it in hw).
Plex currently but may look at Kodi - can this run/serve from the NAS ?

Thinking of using the QNAP QWA-AC2600 or SSD Caching card QM2 PCIe
And use existing router (soon to get FTTH) and AP - Ubiquiti UniFi AC Pro Indoor / Outdoor.
So many options still not sure about what to do.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom