Looking for decent 'budget' 50" LED

Ian Dudley

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, buying my first TV for 8 years. My last/current one is a Samsung Plasma that is still going strong and looks great, and now I want to get a 50" LED for my son's birthday my go to brand is Samsung.

Not looking for AV quality, I want a decent TV with a good picture that he will be happy with, ideally with some decent Smart apps as 99% of the TV he watches is streamed. Also needs Bluetooth audio so he can use his headphones and not wake his brother up in the next room. He'll probably also plug his Xbone into it.

Got my eye on the Samsung UE50TU7100, which seems to tick all of the boxes and can be had for a reasonable £429 from a number of shops. Very close to pulling the trigger, but I've always checked in with AV Forums before buying this sort of kit so dusted off my login details.

Anything I should be concerned about with this set, or any clearly better competitors I should be considering instead? I don't need to get the absolute best TV on the market, but I want it to be decent and avoid buying a dog. The Samsung brand name goes a long way for me, so I would probably only consider other major brands.

One thing I've seen in a few consumer reviews is reports of bad screen flickering requiring multiple power cycles to clear. Anyone experienced this, and any intel on whether it is a manufacturing defect or something they can solve in firmware?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom