Question Looking for the best £500 TV, >=1080p

Boko

Novice Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a 49/50 inch TV for around £500. I can buy any time in the coming months, it isn't urgent (if that's relevant).

I'll mostly have it connected up to my PC for gaming and movies, straight on (not at an angle) and often in the dark. Also, I'd like to use it to help with image editing.

I don't particularly care about resolution above 1080p for my purposes (in fact, I'm a bit of a stickler for running things at the native resolution of a screen, so would in some ways prefer it to be 1080p, though given the choice if all other factors were equal I'd probably choose 4K anyway) -- what I'm looking for is a good screen in terms of colour accuracy, detailed dark blacks and screen uniformity. HDR is appealing, but as I understand it, not really beneficial in the price range I'm looking at.

Also, I want to make sure it's not smoothing or sharpening the image too much -- I know on my monitor there's a sweet spot in the settings for getting the image pretty much pixel-perfect in that sense, and I want to make sure the TV can do that.

Based on my research so far, the PANASONIC TX-50EX700B or SAMSUNG UE50MU6120 seem like the TVs generally well-considered in this price range.

Which brings me to my mini sub-dilemma -- since, as I said, I'm not too fussed about the resolution, I looked into 1080p TVs for the same price, hoping I could find a screen far better in all ways but resolution (maybe even high-quality HDR!). What I found was the Sony WE750, for roughly the same price as the aforementioned screens: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06XMQGH3H/

...But I can't for the life of me figure out what it is about this TV that puts it at the same price as the 4K TVs. Is the HDR better? Does it have darker blacks? Better screen uniformity? Information on 1080p TVs seems to be scarce in 2018, so I'm finding it difficult to find out.

So given all I've said, do you have any recommendations? Are 1080p TVs dead/pointless, or can you recommend one that outperforms the 4K ones in my price range for my purposes? And overall, what would you recommend?

Thanks for reading, sorry for the long post, and if I've left out anything important -- please tell me!

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Resolution is only one part of a TV, there are lots of things to consider besides this. The Samsung FHD models are good if you want to stick with FHD.

I would suggest you read my guide: Best HDR TVs - 2017 Edition - You don't need wide viewing angles so the TVs listed there will be right up your street.

Resolution is only one part of a TV, there are lots of things to consider besides this.
Of course, my point in this post is I don't care about resolution, and want a screen that performs well in other ways. I have no attachment to FHD unless it can bring me an otherwise superior screen for the same price.

Thanks.

Ask yourself what you want from a TV, do you need wide viewing angles and require an IPS type panel? Do you prefer a TV to have narrower viewing angles but superior picture quality overall and require a VA panel?

Then ask yourself things such as;

How will you use the TV? If you are still one to watch standard definition TV, you will probably find a FHD model upscales better.

Will you utilise an UHD TV and if you buy an UHD model, will you view close enough to benefit from that content and will you mind that generally the closer you view to benefit from UHD, the worse FHD/SD will look?

Viewing distance plays a big part.

There are more questions, mostly listed here: Should I upgrade? - UHD vs FHD

At your budget the UHD models are no better than the FHD TVs, so if you favor the benefits of a FHD screen compared to a UHD then you won't lose anything.

But I hope that helps.

Ask yourself what you want from a TV, do you need wide viewing angles and require an IPS type panel? Do you prefer a TV to have narrower viewing angles but superior picture quality overall and require a VA panel?

Then ask yourself things such as;

How will you use the TV? If you are still one to watch standard definition TV, you will probably find a FHD model upscales better.

Will you utilise an UHD TV and if you buy an UHD model, will you view close enough to benefit from that content and will you mind that generally the closer you view to benefit from UHD, the worse FHD/SD will look?

Viewing distance plays a big part.

There are more questions, mostly listed here: Should I upgrade? - UHD vs FHD

At your budget the UHD models are no better than the FHD TVs, so if you favor the benefits of a FHD screen compared to a UHD then you won't lose anything.

But I hope that helps.

A few questions, if you can answer them:
Which 50" TV in my price range (around £500) allows you to disable the most image processing features, and has the lowest input lag?
How close to a 50" TV do you have to be to experience edge discolouration on a VA panel?
Can you get a true 120hz screen with support for 120hz input in this price range? (1080 or 4K?)

Thanks.

Which 50" TV in my price range (around £500) allows you to disable the most image processing features, and has the lowest input lag?
All TVs have good game modes now with input lag that is low enough to really not a consideration anymore like it once was. The TVs I recommend in my guide at 50" are all very good gaming TVs. Any 50" model from Samsung, Hisense or Panasonic. (not 49").

How close to a 50" TV do you have to be to experience edge discolouration on a VA panel?
Very close, my TV is amongst the worse there is for viewing angles and viewing about 1m away I do not have a problem. If you are using a 50" model on a desk like a computer monitor you may have an issue, but I doubt it unless somehow you have the TV resting right on the edge of the desk.

Can you get a true 120hz screen with support for 120hz input in this price range? (1080 or 4K?)
No, there are less options at 50" meaning the cheapest TV with a 120hz panel and 120hz input supported at 1080p would be more expensive than the cheapest option at 55". It's also worth noting no TV will do over 60hz at UHD resolution when using HDMI anyway, you'll have to knock that down to 1080p anyway.

Sony 55XE85xx/Sony 49XE9005 will be the cheapest TVs to support 120hz at 1080p.

Okay, thanks!

Sony 55XE85xx/Sony 49XE9005 will be the cheapest TVs to support 120hz at 1080p.
A 49/50 inch TV really is perfect for the space I want it for, so I'd much rather get one in that size.
How low do you think the price of the 49XE9005 will go before it's phased out? And when will that be? It's too expensive for me right now but I'm willing to wait.

Okay, thanks!

A 49/50 inch TV really is perfect for the space I want it for, so I'd much rather get one in that size.
How low do you think the price of the 49XE9005 will go before it's phased out? And when will that be? It's too expensive for me right now but I'm willing to wait.
I think right now it will be at its lowest, you may find one or two left about when the XF9005 is released but generally they seem to be selling out in a lot of places already. The TV is already roughly 30% cheaper than it was when released and historically now is when TVs are there most discounted.

I think right now it will be at its lowest, you may find one or two left about when the XF9005 is released but generally they seem to be selling out in a lot of places already. The TV is already roughly 30% cheaper than it was when released and historically now is when TVs are there most discounted.
Okay, I'll think on it then.

And what's the cheapest 49"/50" FHD TV that supports 120hz input (or above)?

(Because after looking into it, I might actually want a FHD, because of the lack of nearest-neighbour upscaling in 4K TVs.) EDIT: Okay, looks like some do support nearest-neighbour, but maybe not in game mode. My question still stands.

Sorry for all these questions.

Last edited:
And what's the cheapest 49"/50" FHD TV that supports 120hz input (or above)?
I can't think of one sorry, there may have been some models in previous years, in particular some older Panasonic models from 2013-14 that also had a display port. Right now the only FHD TV sold with a 120hz panel is at 55" - the LG A7 OLED, it also doesn't accept 120hz over hdmi despite having the panel for it.

I think HDMI 2.1 should mean we see a lot more higher refresh rate TVs, but that may be a long time from now, even after the 2019 models.

I can't think of one sorry, there may have been some models in previous years, in particular some older Panasonic models from 2013-14 that also had a display port. Right now the only FHD TV sold with a 120hz panel is at 55" - the LG A7 OLED, it also doesn't accept 120hz over hdmi despite having the panel for it.

I think HDMI 2.1 should mean we see a lot more higher refresh rate TVs, but that may be a long time from now, even after the 2019 models.
How annoying!

I'm trying to find out the input lag number for the "1080p Pixel by 4pixels" mode in the EX700, and can't find it anywhere! Only the number for the standard and game modes...
Do you know a place/way I can find that information? I'd only ever use 1080p in that mode, as other kinds of upscaling are a pet hate of mine.

How annoying!

I'm trying to find out the input lag number for the "1080p Pixel by 4pixels" mode in the EX700, and can't find it anywhere! Only the number for the standard and game modes...
Do you know a place/way I can find that information? I'd only ever use 1080p in that mode, as other kinds of upscaling are a pet hate of mine.

The EX700 has 21ms of input lag for 1080P and 4K SDR and HDR modes.

Panasonic EX700 review - FlatpanelsHD

Digital Foundry: the best 2017 4K TVs for HDR gaming

Last edited:
Is that not the figure for SDR 4K Game Mode?
Does running at 1080p stop the TV doing post-processing like Game Mode does?

(Because the User Manual says "1080p Pixel by 4pixels" mode and Game Mode are mutually exclusive.)
Just checked on my Panasonic DX902 for you and pixel by pixel is the same as pixel direct and can be enabled together with game mode. It visibly makes my pc sharper inputting 1080p but there is still noticeable upscaling and more aliasing than on a FHD display.

However I view a metre away from a 65"and it's hard to compare also without the same size FHD tv.

It looks fine though and I'm sure you could get used to it. I'm someone who's sensitive to upscaling too(I recently returned an UHD laptop because of this).

Whether enabling things like pixel by pixel along with game mode compared to just game mode alone increases input lag I'm not sure, I can't test it because my tv feels the same to me with game mode off to on. I highly doubt it though. I've used pixel direct on many a tv for 4:4:4 chroma and I've never noticed an increase in input lag.

Generally the whole input lag discussion now is void imo. Tv's have immensely low input lag compared to in the past and I think most people will struggle to even notice the 100MS input lag without game mode. Everyone's different but I wouldn't worry so much and just get the tv from a good retailer so you can return it no probs just in case.

Hope this helps!

Just checked on my Panasonic DX902 for you and pixel by pixel is the same as pixel direct and can be enabled together with game mode.
Thanks for looking at this for me, unfortunately it seems like that TV does allow it while the EX700 doesn't.

I just read the manuals for both TVs and the DX902 manual only says Game Mode is "Not valid in TV mode", while the EX700 manual has a list of conditions, including saying Game Mode is not valid if "1080p Pixel by 4pixels is set to On".

Here are the links to the manuals, it's under the first "Option Settings" section:
http://tda.panasonic-europe-service...ata/ALL/TX65DX902B/OI/943068/TQB0E2594U-E.pdf

http://tda.panasonic-europe-service...ata/ALL/TX40EX700B/OI/960775/TQB0E2708U-E.pdf

I'm sensitive to upscaling and input lag (though only in fast-paced games). So it would be a bit of a deal-breaker if good scaling and good input lag are mutually exclusive, and I can't think of a way to find out that information!

(It does seem a bit weird that the manual says both 1080p modes can't be used with Game Mode. Unless Game Mode literally doesn't support 1080p, which I highly doubt, it must be using a scaling method. So maybe it's using the 1:4 pixel method anyway? Or maybe the 1:4 pixel mode disables the same image processing as Game Mode on this TV, making Game Mode redundant so that's why it doesn't allow both to be selected? Ugggghhhh!)

Thanks again for looking, though, and for your help in general.

Last edited:
I'm surprised that it's different. Have you considered asking owners here: Panasonic EX700 Owners Thread

Maybe someone can test to be certain and maybe owners of the tv also have a good idea of input lag using pixel by pixel.

If I were to choose I'd say it still has low input lag and may well just be game mode with less processing even, theoretically that's what it is anyway so it would kind of stupid if less processing resulted in more lag.

I'm quite sure that pixel direct has the same input lag as game mode anyway, at least with my older Panasonic plasma too.

On some tv's that label the mode as "pc" instead of pixel direct and on all the models I've tried input lag hasn't been any more than game mode, in fact I think it is just game mode + full chroma.

Pixel by pixel is most likely game mode + pixel by pixel. If it wasn't I don't see why my tv would let me have both on at the same time.

So whilst I don't think you'll have an issue I can't guarantee it. Why not buy the tv from somewhere with a good return policy like John Lewis and return it if you aren't happy. The chances are you will be.

I'm surprised that it's different. Have you considered asking owners here: Panasonic EX700 Owners Thread

Maybe someone can test to be certain and maybe owners of the tv also have a good idea of input lag using pixel by pixel.

If I were to choose I'd say it still has low input lag and may well just be game mode with less processing even, theoretically that's what it is anyway so it would kind of stupid if less processing resulted in more lag.

I'm quite sure that pixel direct has the same input lag as game mode anyway, at least with my older Panasonic plasma too.

On some tv's that label the mode as "pc" instead of pixel direct and on all the models I've tried input lag hasn't been any more than game mode, in fact I think it is just game mode + full chroma.

Pixel by pixel is most likely game mode + pixel by pixel. If it wasn't I don't see why my tv would let me have both on at the same time.

So whilst I don't think you'll have an issue I can't guarantee it. Why not buy the tv from somewhere with a good return policy like John Lewis and return it if you aren't happy. The chances are you will be.
I'll probably ask on that thread tomorrow. I'd rather be sure before buying.

Do you know how the returns policy is on Amazon?

Do you know how the returns policy is on Amazon?

Depends if it's a direct sale or from a 3rd party seller, normally it's best to avoid Amazon if possible as they have a reputation for poor delivery, the couriers used can be very unreliable and many people have had smashed tv's arrive or damage in transit, we have just helped another person on here recently who has just been through this twice.

John Lewis or Richer Sounds are far better options.

You can price match with them.

Also, the mode is called "1080p Pixel by 4pixels", which certainly suggests it only works with 1080p, but do you know if it can interpret 720p as 1 pixel->9pixels? It would be annoying if 720p inputs were forced to use ugly upscaling.

Thanks for all your help.

Also, the mode is called "1080p Pixel by 4pixels", which certainly suggests it only works with 1080p, but do you know if it can interpret 720p as 1 pixel->9pixels? It would be annoying if 720p inputs were forced to use ugly upscaling.

Thanks for all your help.
You can only use it with 1080p. Amazon has a good return policy if its direct with them but its good advice above to instead purchase from a retailer like John Lewis or Richer Sounds instead who have 5-6 year guarantees just for the extra warranty over 1 years.

You can only use it with 1080p. Amazon has a good return policy if its direct with them but its good advice above to instead purchase from a retailer like John Lewis or Richer Sounds instead who have 5-6 year guarantees just for the extra warranty over 1 years.
That's annoying, I wonder why it doesn't support 720p in the same way.
Thanks, that makes sense.

That's annoying, I wonder why it doesn't support 720p in the same way.
Thanks, that makes sense.
I'm not sure why it is that Panasonic even have the mode to be honest, they obviously apply some kind of processing to upscale even 1080p by default. That processing is probably beneficial for video content but perhaps at the expense of sharpness. But even when you multiple the pixels it doesn't look as sharp as a proper 1080p display anyway.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom