deleted

Deleted member 818504

Reaction score
Thanks so much to anyone who can help me work this out (for my brother and his partner!)
  • Content/Sources: 90% Netflix and Youtube. Will watch 2-3 hours of 4K/HDR Netflix a night.
    Blu-rays might come along later, but not for a while and not often if so.
  • Wide viewing angles: This is needed as the sofas are in the 2 corners of the room
  • Distance from screen: 3.35m / 11''
  • Budget: They haven't given me one! But I believe they are happy to pay more for quality as long as it actually makes a difference. At least £800+

(I can't edit my first post for some reason)

Also wanted to add that it needs to be wall-mountable and as slim as possible!

There is only really two options at this size, both already mentioned. You can't buy a more expensive TV at this size.

Alternatively: the Panasonic 49FX750B (there is nothing between 49 and 55" so you're stuck with 49" models unless 55" can become an option in which case: OLED). It's also much slimmer than the LG (well the top half) but the LG will do HDR better. Viewing HDR in the dark not recommended for either ...
(or if you can find one a Philips 49PUS8303)

edit: I see it has already been mentioned in the between time :laugh:

Thank you all!

So at the moment, we are trying to decide between the LG 49SK8500 and the Panasonic TX-49FX750B.

The LG is currently on sale for £750
The Panasonic is currently on sale for £850 - £900

I have setup price alerts for both of these because of Black Friday coming up so hopefully they drop more!

Using this spec comparison between the two led me to some questions:
  1. Is the LG having FALD significantly better than the edge lit Panasonic? I understand the technical difference but not the actual viewing impact.
  2. Will the LG having a lower brightness be noticeable?
  3. There are some differences in the HDR support, will they matter?
  4. What exactly is static contrast? Does that matter?
My brother and his partner (the ones who would actually have it) are 100% not pixel peepers, I just want them to get the best they can!!

Using this spec comparison between the two led me to some questions:
I wouldn't use that website or buy into the specs it publishes. Instead rely only on reviews of each product.
  • Is the LG having FALD significantly better than the edge lit Panasonic? I understand the technical difference but not the actual viewing impact.
No, both models have a basic form of local dimming and receive praise for it. Until you reach very high end models edge lit and direct lit means very little.

• Will the LG having a lower brightness be noticeable?
Its only important with HDR material, but neither of these TVs will be fantastic with HDR.

• There are some differences in the HDR support, will they matter?
Dolby Vision is more widely used currently, UHD Blu-Rays, Netflix and Apple TV use it. HDR10+ on the Panasonic by comparison is only currently used by Amazon.

1. What exactly is static contrast? Does that matter?
It does matter, the more contrast the greater the difference between dark and light, more contrast and the picture will pop more.
My brother and his partner (the ones who would actually have it) are 100% not pixel peepers, I just want them to get the best they can!!
I would suggest the LG for people who care more about other aspects than picture quality, its smart TV is better. The Panasonics smart TV isn't bad but its not as good as the LG.

Thank you so much for that reply, legend!

HDR10+ discs have been released recently. But the format support doesn’t matter as all discs will carry the ‘base’ HDR.

Afaik there is no evidence Amazon Prime actually puts out HDR10+ currently. The discs are only a couple of nature docu's and no news of anything else upcoming soon (March at the earliest).

The brightness specs on 'that site' don't actually say the LG has lower brightness. It has a higher 'brightness' listed and blank for 'peak brightness' but it's hardly a 100% trustworthy site anyway: most critical info comes from other reviews, not official specs. The 1000:1 on the Panasonic seems to come from a Dutch review and that was with dimming activated (not on max yet) so not the native static contrast anyway. It is actually mentioned in the review right before the 1000:1 was listed: with dimming turned off the static/ANSI contrast was 637:1. I believe the Panasonic only has 8 columns as zones but turning it up to max has no negative effects (on the other side hardly produces a big deal of benefit).
The LG has much more aggressive dimming and also more zones (36 in a 4x9 grid) it should be able to produce a stronger HDR effect but also with more noticeable dimming side effects.
Reviews here: LG LG SK9000 Review (55SK9000, 65SK9000) - RTINGS.com and Panasonic: Google Translate

Can you buy this TV anywhere but Currys? I really am not brave enough to risk buying there and can’t find it anywhere else

Distance from screen: 3.35m / 11''

A 49" is gonna be way too small and wouldn't really be worth upgrading to a 4K set over FHD, a 65"+ would be the ideal size calculated to your viewing distance at a minimum.

What exactly is static contrast? Does that matter?

Yes, Absolutely it does, in fact along with Dimming and Peak Brightness it's considered to be very important, putting those IPS models against a VA or OLED would be like night and day, a massive difference in terms of light and dark, along with the fact that IPS panels are also prone to more issues with screen uniformity, that's why AV purists on here and other forums recommend VA or OLED.

It's a shame you can't rearrange your living room to accommodate a VA set like the NU8000 or U7A.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom