Looking to buy a battery lawn-mover.

chez1hunts

Ex Member
Reaction score
My Flymo has seen it's best day now so I'm looking for a good battery operated lawnmower.

My garden is roughly 18ft x 24ft and we have an area around the boundary of the house, all in all about an hours work.
Would prefer something with 2 battery's supplied.

Looking to spend between 100 to £300 maybe a little more. Anyone using a battery operated lawnmower, anything I should look out for?

So much choice. Please help. :D

The only advice I can give is pick a make that allows the batteries to be used in many items. I brought a twin battery kit Makita drill kit, since then I have added a hedge trimmer which by the way is excellent, followed by a circular saw. All my items take one battery only so always have a spare, but maybe in future I will get a lawn mower that takes the two batteries. Dewalt is another make, Bosch for some reason have power tool batteries separate to gardening batteries. So cheap up front but expensive in the long run.

I understand were you are coming from but it seems only Bosch have this in place.

Their DIY tool batteries are compact both in size and capacity compared with say Dewalt and Ryobi. Hence needing a different battery format for a lawn mower.

Take a look at Worx. I believe they do a two battery mower with batteries comparable with other tools in their range.

We've just purchased a Ryobi, which was on special offer at Homebase with quite a saving on rrp.
I have quite a few batteries anyway because all of my other power tools are Ryobi, but this kit came with a 5.0ah battery and charger included. Great value bearing in mind you'd pay £70+ for a 5.0ah battery on it's own!
It's cutting really well. Will struggle a bit if you let the grass grow too long, but stay on top of it and it's a doddle.

That was a bargain, we paid almost the same for a bare bones one.

We've just purchased a Ryobi, which was on special offer at Homebase with quite a saving on rrp.
I have quite a few batteries anyway because all of my other power tools are Ryobi, but this kit came with a 5.0ah battery and charger included. Great value bearing in mind you'd pay £70+ for a 5.0ah battery on it's own!
It's cutting really well. Will struggle a bit if you let the grass grow too long, but stay on top of it and it's a doddle.

Out of stock local to me sadly.

Arrrrggghhh!!!
64F72E68-3FB7-465F-B4DA-4EB48B892218.jpeg
663A3454-0BE4-4B5F-965D-CC51DA2F07D2.jpeg

I switched to cordless a couple of months ago (£125 starter kit) the Ryobi is great, it runs for over half an hour. I keep the blade sharp and it cuts really well.
its suction is not as powerful my old Flymo but the benefit of that is that it leaves the soil and only collects the clippings - my lawn is much denser now.
...and being cord free is so good.

There was an episode of the gadget show the other week were they tried 3 different ones. Might be worth giving that a watch. They get golf grounds keepers to trial them

The Ryobi 33cm mower kit is now £115 at homebase (5.0ah battery included)
pole saw £55
leaf blower £30
plus other garden stuff reduced even more

The Ryobi 33cm mower kit is now £115 at homebase (5.0ah battery and charger included)

Bearing in mind that the charger and 2.0ah (can't find a 5.0ah deal) battery alone are £76.99 on Amazon, that is one helluva bargain.
Effectively, you're getting the mower for under £40.00 😱 😱 😱 😱 😱
Amazon product ASIN B073FHBKG4

I have the 36cm Ryobi. It's pretty good as long as you don't let the grass get too long. DeWalt done were you use two batteries which I'm guessing will be pretty potent.

I also have a ryobi mower and its good, first mow of the year after winter when its really dense and long, I get my old wired flymow out as the battery ryobi needs to be raised to the highest setting to get the grass down and then go over again the next day on the lowest setting otherwise. Once I have done that first cut I use just the Ryobi for the rest of the year and I have the strimmer as well. I love both of them but really thick grass can make slow going.

Petrol mowers are great for those of us that hate mowing, and leave it too long between cuts.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom