Looking to get new hi fi bookshelf speakers

But who knows it could be amazing power amplifier! it sure got some nice specs though 300 watts in 4 ohm! Both channels driven! 150 watt in 8 ohm. Damping factor 1500. That’s the benefit of a digital amplifier. Less watt disappears in heat. But I doubt its a fully digital amplifier like Lyngdorf. Either it can’t be fully digital or the speakers can’t be driven. Probably switch mode transistors in side it.

The 610 has both a sub out and a proper preamp output according to its manual :thumbsup:

Ah my mistake. I’m sure when I was looking for a second system that was the case?

Also I believe that’s a hybrid Classe AB/Digital power amplifier. I’m not sure though? But I tried one of their subwoofer ones. Not impressed at all. It go so warm to touch it became uncomfortable. But it could be a lemon I got. XTZ supposedly makes good subwoofers. But regarding that power amplifier. I’m not familiar with. But if it’s a hybrid/digital power amplifier I would stay way. Digital amplifiers sounds to cold. But I could be mistaken of course if it’s hybrid/digital amplifier. As for OP he should keep he’s speakers he has now and buy the new Rega Brio R amplifier. Loudspeakers are of course subjective thing, but I doubt he well get improvement with he’s current amplifier. With a new one yes! He could then even go for the B&W 702 S2 book shelves speakers, or floor speakers. That little Rega amp is a powerful beast. Only minus strangely enough is no pre out if I’m not mistaken. If he needs pre out though. But OP did you any any amplifier, speakers? Probably difficult now a days. But online shops have 30-60 days money back guaranteed. Anyway good luck.👍

Not sure what you mean by cold . The XTZ Edge is a based on a class D but i can assure you it sounds anything but cold. I have had one for almost 2 years and although i only use it to drive a centre speaker, there are times when i had it on all day and never got as hot as when i use my other XTZ amp ( see sig) in class A mode. Also used it as a main amp for couple days just to see what it can do and no issues there.

I also got the 610 which is in the bedroom and after some digging, i found out that the Line out acts like a Tape out on a cassette recorder. Meaning the 610 volume control will have have no affect on the signal going through the Audio Line Out and the ext amp will receive the full mother load from the 610 at all times . So the external amp will need to have its own volume control. Fortunately the Edge has volume control albeit at the back of the unit.

If i hadn't pulled a lower back muscle (Damm you Joe Wicks!) i would take the 610 to the Edge and connect them up and see what is what for my own satisfaction. But as i'm unable to lift things or bend properly, i'm not going to chance it and do myself even more damage.

Not sure what you mean by cold . The XTZ Edge is a based on a class D but i can assure you it sounds anything but cold. I have had one for almost 2 years and although i only use it to drive a centre speaker, there are times when i had it on all day and never got as hot as when i use my other XTZ amp ( see sig) in class A mode. Also used it as a main amp for couple days just to see what it can do and no issues there.

I also got the 610 which is in the bedroom and after some digging, i found out that the Line out acts like a Tape out on a cassette recorder. Meaning the 610 volume control will have have no affect on the signal going through the Audio Line Out and the ext amp will receive the full mother load from the 610 at all times . So the external amp will need to have its own volume control. Fortunately the Edge has volume control albeit at the back of the unit.

If i hadn't pulled a lower back muscle (Damm you Joe Wicks!) i would take the 610 to the Edge and connect them up and see what is what for my own satisfaction. But as i'm unable to lift things or bend properly, i'm not going to chance it and do myself even more damage.
I see. I’m glad you’re happy. But those so called digital amplifier I have heard sounded cold. Meaning they had no warmth in the midrange, bass, treble. The treble was harsh. This was the NAD C388, Lyngdorf digital amplifier. Don’t remember the model number now in my head. But I do believe it’s over the NAD M10, or around there. I was quite amazed how difference NAD now sounds then back before. Back before they almost had a tube sound in midrange. Fat, dynamic bass. Treble rolled down a bit. Now they sound super neutral, much more open. The bass is much more dynamic. That’s good regarding the bass response, but when it sounds cold from the midrange to the treble you either need carefully matching or you like the sound. I don’t. I like warm sound. But we’re all different. I just hope OP gets he’s dream sound soon. As I said he’s speakers are good enough. So I recommend a normal Classe AB amplifier with pre outs just in case. But only he can decide. But your recommendation can just be the ticket.

Not sure what you mean by cold . The XTZ Edge is a based on a class D but i can assure you it sounds anything but cold. I have had one for almost 2 years and although i only use it to drive a centre speaker, there are times when i had it on all day and never got as hot as when i use my other XTZ amp ( see sig) in class A mode. Also used it as a main amp for couple days just to see what it can do and no issues there..

Hi there, another happy XTZ edge owner here. CAn i ask you how would you describe the difference between the two XTZ amps you have (class A vs class D) ? thanks

Hi there, another happy XTZ edge owner here. CAn i ask you how would you describe the difference between the two XTZ amps you have (class A vs class D) ?

One is 10x the size and weight over the other :D

From memory, the only way i could put it was Class A sounded more cleaner on the D3 than on the Edge.

Hi, thought it might be helpful to chip in as I've very recently upgraded from this exact set up (the MCR610 and 686 S2s). Have upgraded to a Quad Artera Solus, which delivers tonnes more detail through the 686s and gives them a more mature, well rounded sound (particularly for funk and soul).

Only downside is that the source is now revealing the limitations of the speakers so looking to upgrade those too. Current thinking that the Klipsch 600m's might deliver a similar sound, or the Focal 906's. Have you considered either of these?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom