Question Looking to upgrade av receiver

nickcurtis

Standard Member
Reaction score
I’m looking to upgrade from my Onkyo 656 to the Denon 4500 in the next few months as this amp has very good reviews and all the features I would like. My question is will there be a sound difference between the two? I’m happy with the Onkyo sound for movies and music, will the Denon be any different sound wise, better?, worse? Never owned a Denon so thought I would the av collective here :)

Yes. The Denon’s IMHO are more subtle than the ‘brashness’ of the Onkyo sound. It’s quite different.

But... if you are concerned about sound quality for 2 channel music, the Denon's are not so great. Maybe a Marantz would be better.

in your opinions would the Denon be a upgrade on my currant amp for music and movies. Not overly concerned but don’t want it to be a step backwards really

It’s hard to say, as you say you like the Onkyo sound. Denon will be different, only you can say if it’s worse or better. Technically you are getting more up-to-date features. In my personal opinion I would say yes, the 4500 is one heck of an amp, but you may not like how it sounds.

There might be other ways of upgrading, rather than changing the AVR. What is it specifically that you are looking to improve upon?

I went from a onkyo 646 to a denon x4300 and noticed a big difference in detail and been more convincing experience. Xt32 is also a big upgrade over accu eq as it doesn't really do anything, if I remember.

I do find the denon a but more laid back were the onkyo was abit more in your face.
Overall I'd definitely upgrade to the denon

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom