Lovefilm gone, onto Cinema Paradiso!

I've had two days in the last week where an empty slot has not been filled - I've got quite a range of films in my list - suspicious.

I think you only get one film at a time now if you on the base subscription looking at the website

I think you only get one film at a time now if you on the base subscription looking at the website

What are you referring to here?

My mistake . Don’t understand why I got only one film.
Anyway not happy with the service so will change to another.

Got a reply this morning.

However, I have now scheduled your top two titles to be reserved for you and sent to you when we receive their copies back from other customers.

Not blaming you, buy that's not very fair on their other customers.

I've had many of the same issues with this lot as described on the last few pages, but one particular issue took the biscuit.

I sent back 2 disks which weren't showing as returned so I notified them accordingly. They asked me to print out and fill out an insurance claim form for them, or request one through the post so they could chase it up with Royal mail. Not having a printer I requested one through the post which they sent out 2nd class, with a 2nd class return envelope.

Few weeks later I found CP had billed me £20 for 'Form not received for lost disc' apparently because by the time they received the insurance claim form, the claim period had expired.

I obviously wasn't happy about this and I pointed out how their claims procedure was at fault for using 2nd class correspondence and that's why the forms didn't get to them on time. To their credit they credited the £20 back to my CP account. But still, I'm done with this lot once that's used up. I'm not gonna waste my time with them complaining so that I get better service. Plenty of better options out there.

Last edited:
Good luck with that. Pretty sure there are no other options out there since Lovefilm has gone.

I sent back 2 disks which weren't showing as returned so I notified them accordingly. They asked me to print out and fill out an insurance claim form for them, or request one through the post so they could chase it up with Royal mail. Not having a printer I requested one through the post which they sent out 2nd class, with a 2nd class return envelope.

Few weeks later I found CP had billed me £20 for 'Form not received for lost disc' apparently because by the time they received the insurance claim form, the claim period had expired.

I obviously wasn't happy about this and I pointed out how their claims procedure was at fault for using 2nd class correspondence and that's why the forms didn't get to them on time. To their credit they credited the £20 back to my CP account. But still, I'm done with this lot once that's used up. I'm not gonna waste my time with them complaining so that I get better service.

That's pretty shocking tbh. I assumed you just notified them that they had been posted, and it was then their issue. That was certainly the case with LoveFilm from what I can remember.

Plenty of better options out there.

Anyway not happy with the service so will change to another.
Unless you both know something I don't, there are no other disc rental services available in the UK?

Streaming services are not comparable, or at least are not comparing apples to apples etc.

But if you are not happy with the service, then you either complain or cancel.

That's pretty shocking tbh. I assumed you just notified them that they had been posted, and it was then their issue. That was certainly the case with LoveFilm from what I can remember.

Unless you both know something I don't, there are no other disc rental services available in the UK?

Streaming services are not comparable, or at least are not comparing apples to apples etc.

But if you are not happy with the service, then you either complain or cancel.

No, I don't think there is a comparable disc rental service, but blu-rays don't out perform an upscaled 1080p streamed equivalent by very much, and a 4k stream looks as good if not better than blu-ray on my TV set up.

The only thing streaming services can't match in terms of picture quality is 4k UHD blu-rays and that was my main reason for using the service.

However half the 4k blu-rays aren't actually 4k (only 8 real 4k blu-ray 2018 movies so far) and there are only a handful that are must watch for me. I'd be better off buying those.

No, I don't think there is a comparable disc rental service, but blu-rays don't out perform an upscaled 1080p streamed equivalent by very much, and a 4k stream looks as good if not better than blu-ray on my TV set up.

The only thing streaming services can't match in terms of picture quality is 4k UHD blu-rays and that was my main reason for using the service.

However half the 4k blu-rays aren't actually 4k (only 8 real 4k blu-ray 2018 movies so far) and there are only a handful that are must watch for me. I'd be better off buying those.
We all have different wants and priorities. Streaming bitrates are a lot lower than disc, plus lack of HD audio on streamed content is a big negative for me. I have invested a lot of money in my setup, so want to make sure I'm feeding it the best source content.

I get the 2K vs 4K DI debate, however, its HDR that makes a 4K (plus Atmos / DTS:X) stand out from a regular Blu.

But each to their own, and there are other threads to debate these things ;)

We all have different wants and priorities. Streaming bitrates are a lot lower than disc, plus lack of HD audio on streamed content is a big negative for me. I have invested a lot of money in my setup, so want to make sure I'm feeding it the best source content.

I get the 2K vs 4K DI debate, however, its HDR that makes a 4K (plus Atmos / DTS:X) stand out from a regular Blu.

I've switched off HDR in 4k streams and done direct side by side comparisons with blu-ray and for a lot of content found the sharper 4k stream won out over Blu-rays more impressive showing in darker scenes. Add HDR to the stream and in most cases streaming is the winner. That again is another debate and it comes down to personal preference I guess.

I've watched the majority of 4k blu-ray content on CP, so I'd only be sticking with them through loyalty. I would happily do that were it not for their service going to poop for me.

My fear is that if too many people move over to the "dark side" ie. streaming then we will lose the disc rental option all together.
I've done a few subjective quality tests and my impression is that the physical disc always wins overall.

My fear is that if too many people move over to the "dark side" ie. streaming then we will lose the disc rental option all together.
I've done a few subjective quality tests and my impression is that the physical disc always wins overall.

Disney and Warner are launching streaming services next year (in the US) so are pulling a lot of their content off Netflix and amazon. Not sure if that means here in the UK too though.

But, CP could do well from that because disks could end up being the only way to watch all those blockbuster movies without going to the really really dark side (pirating)

Too many different streaming services will inevitably lead to piracy, there’s a limit to how much people will pay out for multiple streaming services and if the thing you want to watch is on one that you don’t subscribed to, you either miss out or watch illegally.

I agree, but the additional problem for me personally is that there just isn't a streaming service out there that compares with CP, even if I was happy to take the quality hit.

I pay £20 to CP, and for that I reckon that I average 10 discs a month, mostly new ones that come within a couple of months of release.

The main streaming services like Netflix and Amazon don't have the new ones at all. Apple do, but at £5 for each rental that would cost me £50 to get the same number I get from CP, AND I'd be taking the quality hit.

New services are coming out all of the time, but for higher volume users, I think that they will be more expensive for some time to come.

Second film on the way.
Agree not much out there to replace CP.
Will still investigate if the service remains poor.

I pay £20 to CP, and for that I reckon that I average 10 discs a month, mostly new ones that come within a couple of months of release.
Thanks to a number of fellow members signing up with my 'friends' code, I'm currently paying less than £5 per month and average 14 discs a month (2 at a time unlimited) - so about 35p per film! It was less than £3 per month but somebody cancelled their subscription :rolleyes:

Post your code on social media etc. as every paying subscription reduces your fee by a 1/6.

I agree, but the additional problem for me personally is that there just isn't a streaming service out there that compares with CP, even if I was happy to take the quality hit.

The main streaming services like Netflix and Amazon don't have the new ones at all. Apple do, but at £5 for each rental that would cost me £50 to get the same number I get from CP, AND I'd be taking the quality hit.

New services are coming out all of the time, but for higher volume users, I think that they will be more expensive for some time to come.

Netflix and Amazon aren't great if your primary needs are to watch the latest movies. But if you want the freedom to watch hours and hours of TV shows and exclusive content on demand then you can't beat them. They are also very good at catering for the needs of the whole family.

Anyway I'm not here just to bash CP. They did good this week. My returned disks got to them on Monday, but the didn't have anything to send out (I only had a 12 disks selected). Tuesday they sent out 2 from the top and they are here today. More than happy with that.

Well I sent two discs back on Monday and they still haven’t got them. They were posted at the sorting office, so absolutely no reason they shouldn’t have arrived yesterday, or today at the latest.

Well I sent two discs back on Monday and they still haven’t got them. They were posted at the sorting office, so absolutely no reason they shouldn’t have arrived yesterday, or today at the latest.
Same here, however, I posted a disc that I sold on here a week last Monday (1C), and it wasn't delivered until Friday! Seems the Christmas postal delays may have kicked in early this year :thumbsdow

Dare I brag about this but the disc that’s on its way to me is the new Mission Impossible film. :)

Dare I brag about this but the disc that’s on its way to me is the new Mission Impossible film. :)
Go for it :)

Screenshot_20181205-211630__01.jpg

I wonder if people are busier and not getting through films at the same rate at this time of year. I usually turn a disc round in 2-3 days but currently getting through 1-2 discs a fortnight.
Would mean that top titles are not moving so quickly around everyone

Talk about polar opposites...

Sent two discs back Friday afternoon (local village post box), received by CP this morning - that is fairly unusual in itself just lately, however, they have then allocated two films that were just released today "The Spy Who Dumped Me (4K)" and "Kin", which should have been added to the bottom of my list (68 titles) by default :confused:

Shocking service at the moment for me. Posted two discs back on the Saturday before Christmas, yes we had Christmas, so I expected a delay, assumed they’d probably get them the Thursday or Friday between Christmas and New Year. Nope.

Ok, maybe they don’t work those few days in between.

Left it until the 2nd Jan, even with Christmas and New Year, they should’ve had them back by then, especially as the post is back to normal. Nope.

Report them as returned but not showing. Nothing allocated that day. Finally got two more discs allocated and posted on Thursday. Still no sign of them!

So as of today, I’ve been two weeks without discs, which even allowing for Christmas is pretty pathetic to my eyes.

Very close to cancelling now. I would’ve liked to drop back to two at a time, 8 a month or whatever it was when I joined, which pretty much used to last me a month, give or take three or four days as it was considerably less expensive than their so-called “unlimited” option, but they seem to have removed that choice.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom