Question Low cost 3400G rig

DevCode

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Have a need for a basic ryzen build at the moment, not interested in OS or SSD, but want to secure a

Ryzen 3400G
MATX B450 type board (compatible out of the box with the 3400G)
PSU
MATX case (I quite like the small/mini tower cases with a 'premium' look, not that fussed with RGB but must look professional, but not old office PC looks)
16Gb 3200Mhz ram in 2 x 8GB sticks.

All for a measly <£300 delivered!!

can this be achieved?

(ideally i would like MSI B450 Pro-M2, hyperX Fury 3200, 3400G, cougar gemini M mini tower, aerocool cyclon 500W, but this comes to over £350)

Any suggestions/ideas to cut down on price (it won't be used for gaming, just the odd Retro game etc, mainly used for Streaming, dev work etc, hence the strict budget)

The 3400G has been out eleven months now so you'd have to be pretty unlucky to get motherboard stock that was manufactured before that.

What do you mean by B450-type board? Just that it has the B450 chipset? Does it need all four expansion slots or will two or three by OK?

If it's a low cost build then the 3200G makes more sense than the 3400G You get most of the performance by it's £50-60 cheaper.

Hi, yes B450 chipset and only 2 expansion slots as it probably wont be upgraded much.

In real terms how much difference will the 3200g be compared to the 3400g?

Hi, yes B450 chipset and only 2 expansion slots as it probably wont be upgraded much.

In real terms how much difference will the 3200g be compared to the 3400g?

Depends on the workload. In the best case scenario it's 45% faster on both CPU and GPU but the majority of that on the CPU side comes from SMT (hyperthreading) and there can be other limiting factors. Game performance is very similar due to identical memory bandwidth and possibly heat/power limitations.

I haven't looked into it but I'd expect both to have the same VCN core so streaming should be identical.

Try Techpowerup's CPU benchmarks. They haven't tested the 3200G but the 2200G and 2400G are nearly identical other than almost equally boosted clock speeds so the gap should be comparable to that between the 3200 and 3400

Something like Visual Studio C++ has a 15% difference.

Thanks, very informative, I'll be using visual studio, sql dev, toad, vb, and dreamweaver mainly so nothing too demanding.

I'll think I'll bite the bullet, and go for the 3200g, and save the extra money for an upgrade again in the next few months.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom