Low Profile Subwoofer for 5.1 setup?

calibos

Established Member
Reaction score
A few years ago after rearranging the room for Christmas I came up with the bright idea of using a spare Radiator Cabinet as a stand for a center speaker to get it up to the same height as my old Mission M74i Floorstanders without drilling the walls. (There is no Radiator on that wall)

edPScUp.jpg

It got me thinking though and I formulated a plan that one day I would build an Electric Floor Raising Projection Screen, Speakers and Sub inside a much longer and a little bit deeper Custom 'Faux' Radiator Cabinet. The 55" TV would also move from the Chimney Breast on the right of the photo over to the 'Projection' wall. Like I said, the Long Throw ALR (Ambient Light Rejecting) Electric 'Floor' raising screen would be built inside the top of the radiator cabinet. With the Front Left, Center and RIght Speakers and Subwoofer behind the Radiator 'Grille's'. A Home Cinema Projection and 5.1 system totally invisible when not in use. A conventional big Boxy 12" Sub is not an option. While I am not prepared to totally compromise on Bass due to needing to use shallow FR, FC & FR speakers to fit inside the 8" internal depth of the Radiator Cabinet and hence wanting a sub to supplement the bass of those shallow front speakers, I am prepared to compromise on the outright dynamics of that bass if it means I can fit a Sub into that same 8" internal radiator cabinet depth.

I've finally got the money and time to start implementing the idea.

I'm about to order a VividStorm 110" Obsidian Long Throw ALR Floor Raising screens. The video below is the UST ALR screen but the FLoor Raising mechanism and Tab Tensioning is the same.

I've found a sub that might fit the bill for me with its 7.5" Depth. Its the Monoprice SSW-12.

Does anyone know if this is available anywhere in the UK or Ireland or indeed Europe. If not, does anyone know of something similar available over here. Ideally a 12" Sub with a depth of no more than 8 inches.

Last edited:
Jamo and maybe Klipsck seem to have some "thin" subs, in 8 and 10 inch

Jamo and maybe Klipsck seem to have some "thin" subs, in 8 and 10 inch

Couldn't find a Klipsch Low Profile Sub but that Jamo Low Profile sub and also the Bookshelf and center look like just what the Doctor ordered!

Thanks for that!

You're welcome. I assumed that klipsch may have them too since some sub models are nearly identical between the two brands. They are part of the same group, as learned recently. Don't know about UK or Ireland prices but found them rather cheap in some Spanish shops. That's where I got my Jamo j12

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom