Lumagen Radiance Pro owners thread

yes its out:

Lumagen

Lumagen Firmware 041120
- Posted 042020
Numerous HDR Dynamic Tone Mapping improvements.
Fix for aspect detection for interlaced sources.
Some other minor auto aspect detection improvements.
Added rs232 command (ZY418 see tech tip 11 for usage) to set background/foreground color for text messages.
Fix for 'NLS when applicable' under Input: Options: Aspect Setup: Auto Aspect which when set to 'on' did not set NLS when exiting the menu.
Fix for full rs232 input change report change (v2) not always reporting a change (useful for control systems).
Please continue giving us your detailed feedback on issues via email at [email protected] .
Update time ~5 minutes @230k from previous firmware

Anyone tried it yet?

i will test it later to day, but this fix will improve DTM. On some movies i saw little problem with it, so when i will upload it i will test it and looks on thats scene where i saw thats problem.

i will test it later to day, but this fix will improve DTM. On some movies i saw little problem with it, so when i will upload it i will test it and looks on thats scene where i saw thats problem.
Can you please let me know which movies/scenes so I can look myself?
Thanks
Brian

Can you please let me know which movies/scenes so I can look myself?
Thanks
Brian

yes looks here:
UHD Maleficent: Mistress of Evil
-few scenes where I noticed with problem of ADTM (The same scene becomes lighter or go darker)
1:31:53 - 1:32.38

Tomb Raider with Alicia Vikander
-There are many scenes from start
1:58-3:00

Jim send me on this problem this reply:

This could be one of the cases the new zone-based DTM will help since this is exactly the type of issue we are addressing with this new feature. Not sure until the Zone-based is released and the scenes are viewed again. Once it is released, please view the scenes again with the new version. Then if you still have issues, please email Lumagen support email and include a description of the issue and include the movie and time stamp(s). We will see if we can improve the scene(s) if the new zone-based needs additional tuning.

Typical; I just got round to updating mine to the previous version. :D I'll see how everyone gets on as I probably won't get chance to use my projector for a week or two anyway.

I am reasonably happy with my 4k image so seems like it better to hold off on this upgrade for now ?

I am reasonably happy with my 4k image so seems like it better to hold off on this upgrade for now ?

If only“reasonably happy” the update may well be worth it.

Ive updated mine, all seems well so far.

Just plugged in a zapitti audiocom edition, picture is sensational!! Interstellar 4k has never looked better and King Kong on Blu Ray, well, it looks better than the majority of 4k films I’ve seen!!

Not sure if it’s the new player or software update or possibly both.

Last edited:
Just crawled up the loft (where my Pro is) to update this. Got sore knees now. It is a fab VP but if I had a wish it would be that it could be connected via ethernet cable to LAN and be updated and configured via an app on my desktop.

PQ is special though.

Martin

yes looks here:
UHD Maleficent: Mistress of Evil
-few scenes where I noticed with problem of ADTM (The same scene becomes lighter or go darker)
1:31:53 - 1:32.38

Tomb Raider with Alicia Vikander
-There are many scenes from start
1:58-3:00

Ok, problem solved all play with no problem... good work

More sore knees then:)

why not leave a long USB lead connected to it and hide the plug somewhere?

Ah tried that. 10m cable. Too long though to carry the signal. Didn’t work

I have about 10m serial cable i usec...

Martin you can also use a usb to catx adapter and leave it at top of the stair to loft. I have a 50m network cable and usb to cat x adapters i use for jobs where the Pro is in a plant room on different floor to the cinema sometimes.... i can send you a link to the things

edit: this sort of thing

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Please do Gordon thanks

Looks like the update is now live. I’ll update tomorrow

If only“reasonably happy” the update may well be worth it.

Ive updated mine, all seems well so far.

Just plugged in a zapitti audiocom edition, picture is sensational!! Interstellar 4k has never looked better and King Kong on Blu Ray, well, it looks better than the majority of 4k films I’ve seen!!

Not sure if it’s the new player or software update or possibly both.

Well I'm updated so ready for a film tonight. I'm a hard marker so lets see :) I might order King Kong as well

It was the tweak that done it!. Tested out a few 4k discs - the picture quality on the new Star Wars The Rise of Skywalker was superb, with the other discs BladeRunner 2049 and Passengers the PQ was better than I had seen before. Thank you Lumagen; wow, wow wow.

Hello all, looking at a 4242 and wondering if it would be worthwhile to add to my system? I currently have a JVC NX7 which does a great job at HDR tone mapping with the new update. I also just upgraded to a Paladin DCR lens with my 2:40 screen so I do not really need any work filling the screen especially since my 16:9 content is limited and do not mind switching through the modes in the JVC to watch 16:9 content. Most of my content is 4K and BD physical media so is would this really be a worthwhile investment? Guess I am trying to figure out what benefit I may see considering the very steep price to add it.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom