Lumagen Radiance Pro owners thread

found it.fixed :)Audio setting was set at common.changed it to passback 1 and now all working on atmos.2 more inputs please for Android box and no doubt another gadget.at the Panasonic UB9000,Oppo 203,Pionner BDLX91 and Amazon firestick

found it.fixed :)Audio setting was set at common.changed it to passback 1 and now all working on atmos.2 more inputs please for Android box and no doubt another gadget.at the Panasonic UB9000,Oppo 203,Pionner BDLX91 and Amazon firestick
The pro works brilliant with the amazon firestick very surprising 👍

That's handy to know im planning on getting a atmos sound bar and connecting it through the pro all my apps Netflix Disney channel iplayer are on the firestick and are connected to the pro playing flawlessly 👍

Agreed with kelvin. Mine just passes whatever signal straight through it.

Edit....didn’t realise there was another page on the thread where you’d solved it!! 🤣

Havent plugged firestick in as it will not fit.Hits the other hdmi leads.need a little extension for it.like a wally i threw away the one that came with it.

Very interesting update from jim over at AVFORUMS of immanent updates for the pro 👍
We are getting close to an enhancement release for DTM. This only affect a very few tough scenes, but we are excited about improving these important scenes.

Scenes affected are where a spotlight, or the Sun, pans into image in a way that does not cause a "Scene Cut." The beginning of "The Meg" panning across the submarine's spotlight, the beginning of "The Martian" where the Sun comes out from behind Mars, and the "Boat Spot Light" scene in Jaws HDR release (I think this is just over 44 minutes in, but might be remembering wrong), are three cases in point. These, and any other scenes with similar characteristics, are improved with this upcoming release.

==========================================================

There is a new Radiance Pro feature for use with the Kaleidescape Strato:

This release also has a new feature for the Strato where the Pro can use the HDMI Info Frame "Graphics Flag" (set while showing the OSD), to distinguish it from video content (HDMI Info Frame reports "Video"). Here is the overview:

The Strato only outputs its OSD at 50 or 60 Hertz. To use this new feature to speed up movie starts we program the Pro output 24 Hertz for the Strato OSD, and for 24 Hertz video, and then have the Pro output 60 Hertz for 60 Hertz video content. This allows us to optimize the time it takes starting Strato movies at 24 Hertz, and still have 60 Hertz video content show at 60 Hertz automatically. I first program the Pro to "match content" for vertical rate (MENU 0872 for 3840 wide or MENU 0877 for 4096 wide). Then I program the Pro to output 4k24 for the OSD (using the Graphics Flag to know when this is). To do this I first use the new menu entry Input.Options.HDMI Setup.Use Graphics Flag = Yes (or it will be named something similar). Then I use the Output Setup Menu to select the Strato-input-number for the Input column, "All" for Memory, and "Other" for Input Mode. Then select 4k24 (either 4096 wide or 3840 wide, as appropriate) for the Output Mode. Then press OK, and then EXIT, and then do a Save. As this implies the Pro uses the "Other" input mode detection (usually reserved for PC resolutions) for this new feature.

The Pro should be set to SDR709 for both CMS0 and CMS1, or SDRP3 for both CMS0 and CMS1, or SDR2020 for both CMS0 and CMS1. Also HDR Flag = Off, and 2020 < -- > 601/709 = Auto Convert. These settings eliminate the Radiance Pro output restart that happens going from the OSD (SDR709) to/from an HDR movie.

In the Strato IP setup interface you need to go to: Settings -> Video -> Advanced Video Settings -> HDMI Content Type Metadata, and select the "Transmit content type metadata" option.

With this feature a 24 Hertz movie starts, or stops, take about 6 seconds in our Lumagen Demo Theater. This is the time the Strato takes to change from its 60 Hertz OSD, to 24 Hertz for movie content, and for the Pro to lock on to the change. It includes the time to start the movie (which I also believe is around 6 seconds. I say this since switching input rate on the Pro without an output change takes about 3 seconds and this case should be the same. This indicates the output rate change lock-on time at the Pro input does not increase the movie start time).

This is one of those cases where owning the company allows me to get a feature no one else has even asked for :). However, I think many Strato owners will like the ability to start movies faster (at the cost of a slower start time for 60 Hertz Video content). Side note: This might prove useful in certain cases for PCs, if the PC uses the Video/Graphics flags.

NOTE: I am not currently using the Kaleidescape "Costar" feature in the Lumagen Demo Theater. So I am not sure how content actually played form the "Costar" HDMI output (e.g. DVI discs not on the hard drive) will work with this feature. I have recently learned that content that is stored on the Costar hard-drive is actually played through the Strato. So this content should work with this feature.

Jim Peterson
Lumagen, Inc.

IF anyone is interested, I have my radiance pro for sale in the classified section -

Why selling so soon ?

Why selling so soon ?

It's a lovely bit of kit and a real game-changer on my 21:9 screen, unfortunately I can no longer afford to keep it. Hopefully, in the future I will purchase another one, the cinema room just isn't the same without it.

It's a lovely bit of kit and a real game-changer on my 21:9 screen, unfortunately I can no longer afford to keep it. Hopefully, in the future I will purchase another one, the cinema room just isn't the same without it.

Good luck in the sale 😬

Updated to the new firmware today - no issues. Played around a bit with the DTM settings. The new Auto setting didn't do much for me in my system... I preferred my custom settings. I am extremely happy with the image overall.
Equipment:
BenQ X12000H 4K Projector
92" Screen Research Clear Pix 4 Screen
Lumagen Radiance Pro.
Oppo 4K DVD

What Id love is some really clear documentation on exactly what the DTM tools are doing under the hood. DynPad, etc. It appears some of these tools are interactive as well. I have had my Lumagen professionally tweaked and the image is amazing. But I like to fiddle and tweak and would love clear documentation on DTM before I start playing around too much.

I am finding the weak point in my system is some extremely rare color blooming in the extremely saturated oranges with the BenQ. The only offending discs I have found are Mad Max fury Road Lightning scene and King Kong sunset scenes. Can dial out the blooming with De Sat on High, DynPad 4 and X set to 26 and max global light of 800. Curious what others are finding with these two discs - particularly King King which is by far the worst offender.

Updated to the new firmware today - no issues. Played around a bit with the DTM settings. The new Auto setting didn't do much for me in my system... I preferred my custom settings. I am extremely happy with the image overall.
Equipment:
BenQ X12000H 4K Projector
92" Screen Research Clear Pix 4 Screen
Lumagen Radiance Pro.
Oppo 4K DVD

What Id love is some really clear documentation on exactly what the DTM tools are doing under the hood. DynPad, etc. It appears some of these tools are interactive as well. I have had my Lumagen professionally tweaked and the image is amazing. But I like to fiddle and tweak and would love clear documentation on DTM before I start playing around too much.

I am finding the weak point in my system is some extremely rare color blooming in the extremely saturated oranges with the BenQ. The only offending discs I have found are Mad Max fury Road Lightning scene and King Kong sunset scenes. Can dial out the blooming with De Sat on High, DynPad 4 and X set to 26 and max global light of 800. Curious what others are finding with these two discs - particularly King King which is by far the worst offender.

i agree, some info on what these things did would be really helpful.

my understanding though is if you switch the new setting to auto it should sort out these scenes. Have you tried them with it on auto?

Regarding the new auto setting: I assumed it was going to dynamically change on the screen when selected as the other settings do. Changing to Auto does not however sort out these scenes - that said, maybe it requires 'saving' before it switches to auto? I did think it was dynamic and instant tho?

Regarding the new auto setting: I assumed it was going to dynamically change on the screen when selected as the other settings do. Changing to Auto does not however sort out these scenes - that said, maybe it requires 'saving' before it switches to auto? I did think it was dynamic and instant tho?

It should be dynamic, giving you the option to try before saving it.

Might be worth contacting support@lumagen to give some feedback/ask for clarification on what does what, would certainly be helpful for all users.

I believe they’ve finished their road map with DTM now so I see no reason why they now can’t finalise some documentation on it.

Hi, for some one like me, who have with 080120 some problem with hdmi, this update 080420 will fix it

080420- Posted 081720 This is the same as 080120 but we've regenerated the fpga part of the update which may have been an issue in some systems. If you had issues with 080120 and give this version a try please let us know if this update does or doesn't clear things up for you. Please continue giving us your detailed feedback on issues via email at support@lumagen.com .
Update time ~5 minutes @230k from previous firmware.

Last edited:
It should be dynamic, giving you the option to try before saving it.

Might be worth contacting support@lumagen to give some feedback/ask for clarification on what does what, would certainly be helpful for all users.

I believe they’ve finished their road map with DTM now so I see no reason why they now can’t finalise some documentation on it.

Yes, I believe it is dynamic, but it appears not to fix the scenes in question. Again, some documentation would assist here. Is it dynamically changing the DTM all the time? Or is it only trying to deal with certain scenes???

it looks at zones in each frame to decide when and if it needs to make any changes to the mapping.

Gordon, do I understand correctly - that the AUTO setting of DTM is adjusting itself on the fly on a frame by frame basis? And breaking down each frame into zones which are individually analysed to come up with a DTM map specific to that frame?

If that is the case, thats some serious heavy lifting going on under the hood and in theory at least AUTO should be giving a much improved result over user set settings since it is dynamically adjusting on the fly.

Proper documentation on all this would just be so welcome....

No, that is not what is happening. It is a proprietry system to Lumagen so i think it is unlikely they will divulge exactly what they are doing and how it does what it does.

My understanding is it looks at zones of each frame to make determinations as to scene changes or changes within a scene that warrant an alteration of the mapping.. The zones are doing a sort of scene change detection. You don't want to radically change mapping on a frame by frame basis as that can lead to other artifects. You want to work out when a scene has changed enough to warrant a change.

No, that is not what is happening. It is a proprietry system to Lumagen so i think it is unlikely they will divulge exactly what they are doing and how it does what it does.

My understanding is it looks at zones of each frame to make determinations as to scene changes or changes within a scene that warrant an alteration of the mapping.. The zones are doing a sort of scene change detection. You don't want to radically change mapping on a frame by frame basis as that can lead to other artifects. You want to work out when a scene has changed enough to warrant a change.

That makes sense.. but it still leaves users in the dark on what is actually going on. And without understanding at least the basics of what is happening it is impossible to know how to set things correctly. For example, even a basic paragraph explaining why AUTO might be the right choice and why would be helpful. Likewise, a basic explanation of what DynPad does and how it interacts with the other DTM controls would be a godsend. Dont get me wrong, I love the product and the result, but frankly the user documentation blows chunks. Having to experiment continually to ascertain what a control does is both time consuming and should be totally unnecessary. Especially when the controls are interactive.

DynPad sets how much of the potential available dynamic range is left unused to allow for quick transitions of large scene change levels. On 1 you are maxing out the potential range available so if a large transition comes from a dark scene to a bright scene you are more likely to get temporary clipping of highlight info while the mapping adapts to the new scene levels. A lower setting would show less or no clipping in that scenario but would obviously mean less of the dark scene could be shown nit for nit.

DeSat: It's purpose is to desaturate very bright colours encoded in streams or on discs. There is content where illegal code values are encoded at high levels and these result in weird incorrect colour values being displayed on screen. Lumagen introduced this feature to allow folk to have these extreme high brightness colours become desaturated making them less obviously weird. Obviously previously this control would destaturate values which were correct but very high intensities as well as those which were "wrong" A low Dsat value of 0 would display the data as encoded while the higher the desat number the more it would desaturate towards white. How the Auto setting makes the determination when to use low or high values in background is, i presume, proprietry Lumagen IP that they are again unlikely to divulge.

If you want info as to what the shape and trans sliders do (only visible in service mode) i can dig that out for you later. Busy busy busy today setting up a Pro for a clients VW760 and an Arcam AV40 for another system upgrade

Another new review has just dropped. Nice to see considering the age of the Pro, but due to the consistent updates, each year it does feel like a new product.

A comparison between the NX9 tone mapping and MadVR is in the review as well 👍🏻

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom