Lyngdorf MP-50 Surround Sound Processor Review

I should add in Richs demo room he goes to +10db and is crystal clear with MP-50.

I could go to +10db pretty easily, but to be honest I start getting concerned about neighbours at this point, plus I’d start losing my hearing pretty quickly.

I did accidentally get to 130db whilst listening to the dark knight previously, I didn’t actually know what my volume level on the processor was when I hit play! 🤪

I bow to the @Rock Danger on treatment. None in my room outside some carpet. 😀

I’d read that RP isn’t ideal in a treated room, to be fair, currently I’m only correcting down to 400hz.

Nothing is ideal in a heavily treated room, because it's not how we hear things, it's not how we record things and quickly becomes a mess when you try to tame say 40hz and end up achieving that and scuppering something else.

The 710 is likely not going to be much different than the 720 assuming they both run genesis now - there might be a bit in it for music, assuming you listen to well recorded and produced music that is.

Dead rooms are for acoustic modelling - please go watch the Sonic Highways documentary.

Also regarding your neighbours, volume etc - people need to catch themselves on. At about 85dB your ears start to shut down, the wee nerves get paralysed. This is why all concerts are supposed to be 90-ish at the desk.

You need to go demo the MP50 or even MP60 (we're pretty sure they sound the same) at Richards @Seriously Ltd which is in an untreated room and decide if it kicks your systems ass. If it doesn't then retire happy.

Nothing is ideal in a heavily treated room, because it's not how we hear things, it's not how we record things and quickly becomes a mess when you try to tame say 40hz and end up achieving that and scuppering something else.

The 710 is likely not going to be much different than the 720 assuming they both run genesis now - there might be a bit in it for music, assuming you listen to well recorded and produced music that is.

Dead rooms are for acoustic modelling - please go watch the Sonic Highways documentary.

Also regarding your neighbours, volume etc - people need to catch themselves on. At about 85dB your ears start to shut down, the wee nerves get paralysed. This is why all concerts are supposed to be 90-ish at the desk.

You need to go demo the MP50 or even MP60 (we're pretty sure they sound the same) at Richards @Seriously Ltd which is in an untreated room and decide if it kicks your systems ass. If it doesn't then retire happy.

i probably will at some point. I don’t think it will.

i probably will at some point. I don’t think it will.

It absolutely will, but it won't if you go in with a bias that Marantz is the best thing ever. Marantz is the most convenient thing ever for the money, but that's where it ends - it's king of the middle end. But it's remarkably apparent how garbage it is vs a Lyngdorf or Storm.

My system sounds like garbage vs the Steinway stuff, but it's 80 kabillion pounds.. You don't get to reach up from a Marantz or Arcam or Anthem without digging deep into the pockets, same with most high end products that are just a status symbol, like Rolex let's say.

Last edited:
It absolutely will, but it won't if you go in with a bias that Marantz is the best thing ever. Marantz is the most convenient thing ever for the money, but that's where it ends - it's king of the middle end. But it's remarkably apparent how garbage it is vs a Lyngdorf or Storm.

My system sounds like garbage vs the Steinway stuff, but it's 80 kabillion pounds.. You don't get to reach up from a Marantz or Arcam or Anthem without digging deep into the pockets, same with most high end products that aren't a status symbol, like Rolex let's say.

It may be better, but it won’t absolutely kick it’s ass. Improvements when it comes to this sort of level are only minimal.

As my original question, I’d be interested in hearing one in my room, it was you that suggested it wouldn’t give an improvement??

my room is treated, but not to the point it is dead.

Come over to mine for a demo if you don’t believe me.....

remember I’m only interested in movies, hi-fi would likely be a complete different story.

Ive got no bias towards marantz, you’re right, it is convenient, but branding makes absolutely no difference to me, I don’t own 2 of any home cinema manufacturer product other than 2x emotiva power amps.

It may be better, but it won’t absolutely kick it’s ass. Improvements when it comes to this sort of level are only minimal.

It absolutely will, just like the Steinway ones kick mine - it is a very definite and consistent improvement, you've locked yourself into a way of thinking that something can't possibly be better because it just can't. Demo it in your room and one that's not so heavily treated.

As my original question, I’d be interested in hearing one in my room, it was you that suggested it wouldn’t give an improvement??

I don't think anything would sound that much better in a dead room. The reason why I said acoustic modelling is because in studios we use dead rooms to change the actual dimensions of the room it was recorded in to anything and to scale reverb, delay etc to any time line. And that's a whole other debate among audio engineers - it's also why measurements are taken anechoic in speaker design.

my room is treated, but not to the point it is dead.

What parameters / literature did you use to quantify that. A heavily treated room to me is one that contains virtually no reverb. 80%+ A regular soft furnished room will hack off about 50%+ That's quite a lot and it's very hard to quantify on a REW graph if you're not an expert on how the data correlates to the real world listening - I know you've seen the panic when someone doesn't have a flat response.

Come over to mine for a demo if you don’t believe me.....

Happy to, i don't disbelieve what you think, but I can tell you the difference between a good system and a great one. You're an hour and a bit away from me in London when I'm over there.

remember I’m only interested in movies, hi-fi would likely be a complete different story.

All my music is certainly not on the top 100 HiFi list. Not having nearfield monitors and complete control over a track completely ruined music for me, except headphones, when travelling or running. This MP60 etc is 99.9% movies.

It absolutely will, just like the Steinway ones kick mine - it is a very definite and consistent improvement, you've locked yourself into a way of thinking that something can't possibly be better because it just can't. Demo it in your room and one that's not so heavily treated.

I don't think anything would sound that much better in a dead room. The reason why I said acoustic modelling is because in studios we use dead rooms to change the actual dimensions of the room it was recorded in to anything and to scale reverb, delay etc to any time line. And that's a whole other debate among audio engineers - it's also why measurements are taken anechoic in speaker design.

What parameters / literature did you use to quantify that. A heavily treated room to me is one that contains virtually no reverb. 80%+ A regular soft furnished room will hack off about 50%+ That's quite a lot and it's very hard to quantify on a REW graph if you're not an expert on how the data correlates to the real world listening - I know you've seen the panic when someone doesn't have a flat response.

Happy to, i don't disbelieve what you think, but I can tell you the difference between a good system and a great one. You're an hour and a bit away from me in London when I'm over there.

All my music is certainly not on the top 100 HiFi list. Not having nearfield monitors and complete control over a track completely ruined music for me, except headphones, when travelling or running. This MP60 etc is 99.9% movies.

You seem to think my room is deader than it actually is. It’s treated, and treated well, but remember, it’s a wooden box! Trying to dampen down this so it’s completely dead is almost impossible.

my acoustic panels are 50mm thick - these are only any use for very high end frequencies, and yes, I do have a few bass traps in there. Removing some of these is just a case of picking them up and taking them out of my room.

Anyway, we’re miles off topic, I’ll arrange a demo and find out for myself.

You seem to think my room is deader than it actually is. It’s treated, and treated well, but remember, it’s a wooden box! Trying to dampen down this so it’s completely dead is almost impossible.

my acoustic panels are 50mm thick - these are only any use for very high end frequencies, and yes, I do have a few bass traps in there. Removing some of these is just a case of picking them up and taking them out of my room.

Anyway, we’re miles off topic, I’ll arrange a demo and find out for myself.

I can only go by what i see and I get it is a wooden box. Gecko Home Cinema is a fancier wooden box/es. The room inside the room ended up having all treatment except the designed diffusion removed as it's the actual structure of the walls.

It's not off topic because it deals fundamentally with why Lyngdorf did what they did. Overly treated rooms make most things sound the same because it removes the character from the speakers and how we've evolved to hear things. Virtually every instrument was designed in a fairly ordinary room and still are. Studio mastering rooms aren't heavily treated either, as they are mastered for the home as a 'catch all' and occasionally we get a break where the studio hasn't aggressively compressed the bollocks out of it and not run it thru an algorithm not unlike dynamic EQ / night mode.

Why do you think all these people keep turning up their subs and atmos etc?? It's because it's compressed AF. Your biggest mileage in sound quality for your money comes from the software, not the hardware and that's the same with 2K upscaled and 4K native on the video end.

This is why Steinway do that switcheroo with the concert piano on stage and their speakers and everyone is like wtf?? I can't believe it's not butter.

I've had Arcam, Denon, Marantz, Anthem and Lyngdorf in here, admittedly some on different speakers - but having heard my system in several rooms now that vary somewhat, it still sounds much like my system.

The 2 demos that I thought would be great - Trinnov and Arcam, couldn't have been more wrong.

Understand I'm not having a dig at you, I am literally just passing on the 'here's what I have discovered over the eons' what you do with info is up to you.

I can only go by what i see and I get it is a wooden box. Gecko Home Cinema is a fancier wooden box/es. The room inside the room ended up having all treatment except the designed diffusion removed as it's the actual structure of the walls.

It's not off topic because it deals fundamentally with why Lyngdorf did what they did. Overly treated rooms make most things sound the same because it removes the character from the speakers and how we've evolved to hear things. Virtually every instrument was designed in a fairly ordinary room and still are. Studio mastering rooms aren't heavily treated either, as they are mastered for the home as a 'catch all' and occasionally we get a break where the studio hasn't aggressively compressed the bollocks out of it and not run it thru an algorithm not unlike dynamic EQ / night mode.

Why do you think all these people keep turning up their subs and atmos etc?? It's because it's compressed AF. Your biggest mileage in sound quality for your money comes from the software, not the hardware and that's the same with 2K upscaled and 4K native on the video end.

This is why Steinway do that switcheroo with the concert piano on stage and their speakers and everyone is like wtf?? I can't believe it's not butter.

I've had Arcam, Denon, Marantz, Anthem and Lyngdorf in here, admittedly some on different speakers - but having heard my system in several rooms now that vary somewhat, it still sounds much like my system.

The 2 demos that I thought would be great - Trinnov and Arcam, couldn't have been more wrong.

Understand I'm not having a dig at you, I am literally just passing on the 'here's what I have discovered over the eons' what you do with info is up to you.

Honestly mate, I asked a genuine question a few posts ago as to whether I would get an improvement in my room, to which you said you doubt it.

Removing treatments out of room is not difficult, it’s just a case of picking them up and taking them out.

The only way I will know for definite is to have a home demo, I can do this and have a direct comparison against my existing setup, I can then (if needed) remove a few panels and bass traps - these have diffusion and scatter plates in them and then do another test.

I would expect an improvement (it should be better, it costs 4 times more), but then that’s another question as to whether I get a big enough increase in performance to justify the extra cost.

In a strange way, I actually WANT to hear an improvement so I can justify it, I’ve not really upgraded anything in my room for a while (other than the seating), so am a bit bored to be honest!!

Honestly mate, I asked a genuine question a few posts ago as to whether I would get an improvement in my room, to which you said you doubt it.

Removing treatments out of room is not difficult, it’s just a case of picking them up and taking them out.

The only way I will know for definite is to have a home demo, I can do this and have a direct comparison against my existing setup, I can then (if needed) remove a few panels and bass traps - these have diffusion and scatter plates in them and then do another test.

I would expect an improvement (it should be better, it costs 4 times more), but then that’s another question as to whether I get a big enough increase in performance to justify the extra cost.

In a strange way, I actually WANT to hear an improvement so I can justify it, I’ve not really upgraded anything in my room for a while (other than the seating), so am a bit bored to be honest!!

I get you 100% and my answer still stands based on all the extra background info I've given you. Demo it with and with less treatment - if you have REW measure it as well to remove some bias and then feed it some known good content - hopefully like a lot of us you'll be selling off a kidney.

I've just finished this room, I can't really go anywhere meaningful with it - I could tidy the bass up a bit but it's not bad enough to be a priority, everything else measures and sounds uncannily well. I think my biggest dissapoint in all of this is the quality of movies and soundtracks has taken a turn for the worse imo.

Had a really good afternoon with Rich demoing the Lyngdorf and MK speakers. Took a fellow forum member with me @Apollo

Rich is arranging a home demo for me as it’s a bit unfair comparing apples with oranges (different room, speakers, subs, etc).

Had a really good afternoon with Rich demoing the Lyngdorf and MK speakers. Took a fellow forum member with me @Apollo

Rich is arranging a home demo for me as it’s a bit unfair comparing apples with oranges (different room, speakers, subs, etc).
Cool. It is a great sounding room.

What's the score with MP50’s, are there still new ones or just used ones now?

There's still new ones it hasn't been discontinued as yet, but with the MP60 out it's a good time to buy one I guess.

Only a handful of MP50’s left with Lyngdorf. First come first serve. For anyone interested please pm or email me directly to discuss pricing. There has been a huge amount of interest.

Last edited:
Yes same here, thanks to Richard for giving up a good portion of his day to demo and chat about a multitude of home cinema related subjects :thumbsup:

Particularly pleased to get to see the JVC N7 in a dark room to compare to my Sony.

There are three features of RoomPerfect that I think make it better than any other correction systems:

• RoomPerfect is unique in preserving the sound of your speakers. All other correction system start with a target curve which they aim to change your speakers to match. If, for example, you have a great pair of hifi speakers, most people won’t want their characteristics to change because of the correction system.
  • It perfectly blends speakers and woofers together. It measures and corrects the speakers and subs together to get the best combined response. Where stereo subs are used, you end up with true stereo bass, with all speakers on the left of the room, integrated to the subs on that side of the room. If you have ever heard systems where the subs sound a little detached from the speakers, this is a real benefit.
  • RoomPerfect is designed to give optimal results in normal, untreated spaces. This is why people who focus on selling the most expensive cinemas won’t use it. There is so much profit from selling room design and treatment which RoomPerfect largely negates, it would be commercial suicide to recommend it.
RoomPerfect and the bass management found in Lyngdorfs MP50 and MP60 Surround Processors are in the TDAi1120, TDAi2170 and TDAi3400 stereo amps, so it’s easy for people to put these claims to the test with a home trial of these units.

What’s the solution to connecting analogue sources to the MP50? The only thing I can think of is the Anthem STR pre amp which has straight through HT bypass.

Only a handful of MP50’s left with Lyngdorf. First come first serve. For anyone interested please pm or email me directly to discuss pricing. There has been a huge amount of interest.
Once again the upgrade bug got to me and I decided to book a demo of the Lyngdorf mp50. A date was arranged with Richard]@seriously cinema. Richard was very informative and a good selection of material was played, discussed and enjoyed. Still not totally convinced, about spending the kids inheritance,
I asked Richard if a home demonstration was possible? Yes was the answer and a couple of days later the Lyngdorf was being set up, this took a little time with ‘room perfect’ software calibrating the acoustics of my living room/ cinema.
Speakers distances measured and inputs set, it was time to hear what the processor sounded like at home. It was certainly very impressive my
Atc speakers have never sounded so good, certainly not with my previous processors( Tag Mclaren, Proceed avp and Marantz 8801) the sound was/is very neutral and natural. With high levels of detail and clear clean bass. Next was to listen on 2 channel, once again I was smiling broadly😀 tracks from various artists were critically listened to and I echo Richards words ‘it’s sounds awesome !!
I now am the proud owner of this unit and haven’t stopped listening to it since.
Last but not least thanks again to Richard for setting the Lyngdorf up and his relaxed sales style (No pressure whatsoever with nothing too much trouble)
Many thanks
Jim

Once again the upgrade bug got to me and I decided to book a demo of the Lyngdorf mp50. A date was arranged with Richard]@seriously cinema. Richard was very informative and a good selection of material was played, discussed and enjoyed. Still not totally convinced, about spending the kids inheritance,
I asked Richard if a home demonstration was possible? Yes was the answer and a couple of days later the Lyngdorf was being set up, this took a little time with ‘room perfect’ software calibrating the acoustics of my living room/ cinema.
Speakers distances measured and inputs set, it was time to hear what the processor sounded like at home. It was certainly very impressive my
Atc speakers have never sounded so good, certainly not with my previous processors( Tag Mclaren, Proceed avp and Marantz 8801) the sound was/is very neutral and natural. With high levels of detail and clear clean bass. Next was to listen on 2 channel, once again I was smiling broadly😀 tracks from various artists were critically listened to and I echo Richards words ‘it’s sounds awesome !!
I now am the proud owner of this unit and haven’t stopped listening to it since.
Last but not least thanks again to Richard for setting the Lyngdorf up and his relaxed sales style (No pressure whatsoever with nothing too much trouble)
Many thanks
Jim
Congratulations!

Dear All,
as a newbie in this thread I would appreciate feedback from MP-50 owners who successfully played a native Auro3D signal from a Blu-Ray. I use the Oppo 203 player and my setup is 4.5 (Front left/right, Front Top l/r, back l/r back Top l/r, VOG, no Center, no sub)
The Lyngdorf MP-50 multichannel preamp is connected to the audio-only HDMI socket on the Oppo.
If I use an Auro3D bluray, I will not get any signal from the top speakers and no Auro3d logo appears on the preamp. Atmos works fine. Any idea where to look for? I use bitstream and second audio is off.
Another issue is related to the auromatic: If I play a 5.1 signal from my Panasonic TV (Netflix via arc ) and turn on auromatic, it works occasionally, but sometimes leads to an extremely distorted and loud signal on all channels. If I play the Auro3D test bluray via Oppo 203, I will not get any signal from the top Channels. If I activate auromatic, everything becomes silent until I switch the Lyngdorf off and on again. I installed the latest software on both devices and use the bitstream setting on the Oppo.
thanks for any idea.
best
manfred

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom