M&K Sound THX / Dominus Subwoofer thread.

Thanks for the feedback, it's not for a dedicated cinema room but a sitting room so I need to try and blend it in a little, shame they don't come in white but I appreciate they are more of a commercial application type product than residential, will take a look at the X12 cabinet dimensions and see if I can get away with it

Thanks for the feedback, it's not for a dedicated cinema room but a sitting room so I need to try and blend it in a little, shame they don't come in white but I appreciate they are more of a commercial application type product than residential, will take a look at the X12 cabinet dimensions and see if I can get away with it
Here is what I did with my X10's to hide them> Living Room Luxury

Beautiful install and room, if you say the Twin X10's never leaving you wanting more why do you think you'd like the X12's if you didn't have to hide them?

FOMO = Fear Of Missing out

I did have one X10 in my old room on demo for 3 months and loved it, so I have never actually missed the X12 at all. Thanks to @Seriously Ltd for the demo all those years ago. :)

Beautiful install and room, if you say the Twin X10's never leaving you wanting more why do you think you'd like the X12's if you didn't have to hide them?
We carry out lots of discrete installations and hide subwoofers in many places. The X12’s can be placed on their sides within a cabinet if required. We are building a media room with this very X12 configuration although on hold due to the current Covid situation.

@Seriously Ltd if you place them on the side, any specific feet or rubbers you use to support them?
Reason I'm asking is one of my two V12's came without any feet installed and installed some SVS Soundpaths on them but that one is now taller than my other one with the stock rubber feet and my OCD cannot handle that :p

yeah 1 did, 1 didn't (bought it second hand).
Any particular feet you guys use on the (sideways) X12 or as a good replacement?

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
something like this would do?
40mm diameter and 8mm high, no mentioning of carrying capacity though? But lots of positive reviews on Amazon of people using them under subs and tower speakers.

You can buy those direct from audiovisual online. Helps the retailer by removing the cut Amazon will take, and service is on par. Its not like a set of rubber pads are going to break in transit 🤣

something like this would do?
40mm diameter and 8mm high, no mentioning of carrying capacity though? But lots of positive reviews on Amazon of people using them under subs and tower speakers.

Hudson Hifi ones might be worth looking at, as they have various heights from 1" to 2.5" in hemisphere domes

I stood on a 2.5" so you can see their carrying capacity

10st (140lbs) on one 2.5"

I've read as much as I can find about the x12, and looking to install one in a temporary set up in an apartment building with neighbours below.

I understand I'll have to listen at very moderate levels, with sub turned way down.

It'll sit in a wooden floor, would adding something like the Auralex SubDude help reduce vibrations below?

We'll house move in next two years, starting the slow upgrade path now. Right now I've I'll have iw950s lcr (later moving to heights, 150 or 300s for lcr), ultimately stereo x12s in new place. Hence don't want to buy something smaller now only to change it later.

Current room is 6x5, single x12 would be front right outside right channel

Last edited:
read your other post in the MK thread and yeah the 950's (as any MK monitor) really needs a sub as they don't go deeper than 80Hz, depending on you room a little bit as well of course.

Next week will be a dream come true for me! I will be purchasing dual MK Sound X12's to go with MK Sound 950's. My room is 1500 cu ft.

I would like to try and stack both of them in the front Corner and set them up similar to how Ken Kreisel's DXD 12012's duo stacks are. Anybody tried that with the X12's?

If the results of that are not satisfactory I will then set them up in the front corners which is where my current subs are located.

I was able to demo an X12 a few months back and I directly compared it to my SVS SB16 Ultra. The SVS is a very fine and capable sub but it does not sound as clean or accurate as the X12. The X12 is the best sounding Subwoofer i've ever heard.

I'll keep the thread updated on my journey...

Next week will be a dream come true for me! I will be purchasing dual MK Sound X12's to go with MK Sound 950's. My room is 1500 cu ft.

I would like to try and stack both of them in the front Corner and set them up similar to how Ken Kreisel's DXD 12012's duo stacks are. Anybody tried that with the X12's?

If the results of that are not satisfactory I will then set them up in the front corners which is where my current subs are located.

I was able to demo an X12 a few months back and I directly compared it to my SVS SB16 Ultra. The SVS is a very fine and capable sub but it does not sound as clean or accurate as the X12. The X12 is the best sounding Subwoofer i've ever heard.

that’s fantastic mate…i have 2 x12 subs and they are stunning, i have one in each corner at the front

You should place them apart rather than stack in most cases to get smoother response / less localization. Diagonally opposite front/rear corners may also give you better results than the usual both at front corners, worth a try!

8000$ for pair of X12s, woah! There is lot more options in US than SVS. Why not consider something like dual Rythmik F15HP which uses similar Direct Servo Technology as Velodyne in their DD Plus ranges. In direct comparisons these have sounded as good if not better than Velodynes which cost many times more. 45days home trial, shipping fees back only cost. Internet direct business model so the price is darn low!

Velodyne and JL is introducing new models early next year aswell if it needs to be "premium" brand.

Yes the X12’s are expensive. I’ve owned Rythmik, HSU, and PSA Subs as well as SVS.
In my opinion M&K beats them all when it comes to articulate, accurate, and fast Bass. I’ve listened to the X12. I’ve never heard a subwoofer sound so good. M&K stands alone in this regard. I know there are other brute force subs that play louder and lower but that’s not what i’m looking for…

The X12 is often overlooked due to not price point versus on paper specs compared with many subwoofers.

We supply all the big hitting subwoofers and find the X12 delivers something that many fail to come close to. The dual driver push pull configuration produces extremely clean, taught and articulate bass. These subwoofers are professional grade and are used throughout mixing and mastering studios throughout the world for a reason.

Yes the X12’s are expensive. I’ve owned Rythmik, HSU, and PSA Subs as well as SVS.
In my opinion M&K beats them all when it comes to articulate, accurate, and fast Bass. I’ve listened to the X12. I’ve never heard a subwoofer sound so good. M&K stands alone in this regard. I know there are other brute force subs that play louder and lower but that’s not what i’m looking for…

Intresting. Hopefully the Rythmik model was sealed by design. Comparing any of those brands ported model to X12 wouldn´t be fair comparison especially seeing your requirements.

One new brand available in US would be Arendal and the sealed dual opposite drivers model
1723 2S would give hard time for M&K X12. We already have members in UK who has found similar Arendal product sounding better than X12. At 2400$ incl. shipping&taxes is still lot cheaper than 4000$. 60 day buy & try home trial period, but returning will cost X amount so there is some potential extra costs involved (if returning) as the company uses internet direct sale business model. Arendal isn´t keen for the spl drag race, rather they emphasize the importance of sound (bass) quality.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom