made the jump, now nervous

dvlsfan30

Novice Member
Reaction score
I just purchased and set up my 65 inch LG CX a few days ago. TV is really is beautiful.

I have had anxiety even since before the purchase about the burn in issue.

My son enjoys gaming on his ps4 no more than 3 hours a day. I play some games on my xbox as well here and there throughout the week. My wife and daughter watch some shows and movies throughout the week. Any shows that have a channel logo or banner at the bottom go to commercials about every 10 minutes.

I have the brightness set to 50, the pixel refresher is on, screen saver set to two minutes, and the screen shift setting on. Playstation screensaver set to five minutes, annoyed how it only dims the image after five minutes. also have logo luminance set to high and have the image mode on standard not uhd

I sit and worry about burn in anytime i see a static hud, any static health meter or any red or blue static color on the screen while my son games even if it's for a few minutes.. He varies his game content but I worry about the 2-3 hours on call of duty or any other similar game with a hud. Playstation screen will dim to dark but not fully black after five min of inactivity but will not power off until 1 hour of inactivity.

Worried about watching espn, live sporting event or any news channel for more than a few minutes

Am I over-worrying or is there anything else I can do to prevent burn in?

I have a couple days to add an extended warranty still but the tv already was a bit heavy on the price.

Thanks for any input

I just purchased and set up my 65 inch LG CX a few days ago. TV is really is beautiful.

I have had anxiety even since before the purchase about the burn in issue.

My son enjoys gaming on his ps4 no more than 3 hours a day. I play some games on my xbox as well here and there throughout the week. My wife and daughter watch some shows and movies throughout the week. Any shows that have a channel logo or banner at the bottom go to commercials about every 10 minutes.

I have the brightness set to 50, the pixel refresher is on, screen saver set to two minutes, and the screen shift setting on. Playstation screensaver set to five minutes, annoyed how it only dims the image after five minutes. also have logo luminance set to high and have the image mode on standard not uhd

I sit and worry about burn in anytime i see a static hud, any static health meter or any red or blue static color on the screen while my son games even if it's for a few minutes.. He varies his game content but I worry about the 2-3 hours on call of duty or any other similar game with a hud. Playstation screen will dim to dark but not fully black after five min of inactivity but will not power off until 1 hour of inactivity.

Worried about watching espn, live sporting event or any news channel for more than a few minutes

Am I over-worrying or is there anything else I can do to prevent burn in?

I have a couple days to add an extended warranty still but the tv already was a bit heavy on the price.

Thanks for any input

In your use case and if the extended warranty covers burn-in I would be getting it.

I have two Oleds and no problems but I almost don't game and bearly watch anything other then BDs and streaming which don't have any static elements.

They are quite resilient but they are not bulletproof.

My advice would be stop worrying and enjoy your new OLED, it's only a TV at the end of the day and burn in problems are overstated.

There’s no way you’ll be able to stop worrying without some sort of burn-in cover. Make sure the extended warranty does cover burn in before you shell out.

It is like your first kid, you worry then realise with the second that you didn’t have to.
You just need proper settings for extended viewing (I even have a special HD and hdr setting for my son anime or gaming to avoid tv maxed at 100 all the time)...

beside that, I will make sure to take breaks so 3h gaming is not an option in one go in our place. Enjoy

I had burn in on my C6 yet I don’t give it a moments thought, since 2016, panels have got better and better and for me, there are bigger issues with OLED than burn in

I still use my C6 which has many thousands of hours on the clock and no burn-in but I have very optimal use case.

We need a thread which addresses this question stickied because it comes up so much and i find we're all typing the same answer over and over.

We need a thread which addresses this question stickied because it comes up so much and i find we're all typing the same answer over and over.
Yep, it is not going to go away that easy...this morning my son told me, I love this tv but I wish it wasn’t oled...
Best we can get for now....I just pray my tv will last until mini/micro led 2000 nits (800 full screen) with qantum and HFR is here :)
Hopefully around 2023...
For now, I just love that picture...mandalorian season 2 incoming :) !!!!! This is the way!!!

AVForums is a lot like a bunch of salesmen. Some of the AVForums members are very knowledgeable salesmen and some AVForum members are like uninformed salesmen. Everyone talks with great authority and conviction.

When you ask a question about burn in on AVForums you will be so confused when you get done reading all the "experts". Some AVForum members say 100 percent and consumer reports data says it is not a significant issue. Asking a question about OLED BURN IN on AVForums is going to recruit these two extremes and everywhere in between so it is more of an entertaining BS session rather than somewhere your going to get a concrete answer.

Things get embellished on AVForums. Sometimes talking about the differences between TVs is more enjoyable than the actual differences.

I think it is much better to go with what the professional reviewers say than the AVForum "experts". If the professional reviewers aren't in on some big conspiracy theory, as some of the AVForum experts say, then their opinions can and should be trusted.

From Rtings.com*
Although we don't expect most people who watch varied content to have any issues, OLED TVs, such as the LG OLED C9 do have the possibility of experiencing burn in.

This statement from rtings.com is so vague. What does possibility mean? One in a billion or one in ten? When I asked Adam about this he says we don't know and we discard all the data that rtings.com collects. People report that they have experienced OLED burn in to us, but we discard all this information, so we can't tell you how many.
The OLED Burn In subject brings rtings.com a lot of attention because of the torture test they have done on outdated TVs. It benefits rtings.com to keep the OLED burn in discussions active.

Vincent Teoh
OLED Burn In Risk is Overblown

Consumer Reports
Their statistical data shows that OLED Burn In is such a rare occurence that they don't even mention it as anything to be concerned with except for some 2015 OLED TVs.
Data on 97,554 TVs owned by Consumer Reports members who purchased a new set between 2010 and 2018 has been collected. Many of these TVs are OLEDs. If Burn In was a common problem I am sure Consumer Reports would mention it.

Geoffrey Morrison and David Katzmaier of CNET
If you vary your TV viewing habits like most people, however, it won't be an issue. Even so, caveat emptor. Or as Caesar once said, "Conscientiam autem ardeat sed non anxius" (be aware of burn-in, but not concerned).

John Archer of Forbes
Occurrences of permanent screen burn in the real consumer world are now and will continue to be rare.

John Lennon - If everyone demanded peace instead of another television set, then there'd be peace. ✌

Last edited:
AVForums is a lot like a bunch of salesmen. Some of the AVForums members are very knowledgeable and some AVForum members are like uninformed salesmen. Everyone talks with great authority and conviction.

When you ask a question about burn in on AVForums you will be so confused when you get done reading all the "experts". Some AVForum members say 100 percent and consumer reports data says it is not a significant issue. Asking a question about OLED BURN IN on AVForums is going to recruit these two extremes and everywhere in between so it is more of an entertaining BS session rather than somewhere your going to get a concrete answer.

Things get embellished on AVForums. Sometimes talking about the differences between TVs is more enjoyable than the actual differences.

I think it is much better to go with what the professional reviewers say than the AVForum "experts". If the professional reviewers aren't in on some big conspiracy theory, as some of the AVForum experts say, then their opinions can and should be trusted.

From Rtings.com*
Although we don't expect most people who watch varied content to have any issues, OLED TVs, such as the LG OLED C9 do have the possibility of experiencing burn in.

This statement from rtings.com is so vague. What does possibility mean? One in a billion or one in ten? When I asked Adam about this he says we don't know and we discard all the data that rtings.com collects. People report that they have experienced OLED burn in to us, but we discard all this information, so we can't tell you how many.
The OLED Burn In subject brings rtings.com a lot of attention because of the torture test they have done on outdated TVs. It benefits rtings.com to keep the OLED burn in discussions active.

Vincent Teoh
OLED Burn In Risk is Overblown

Consumer Reports
Their statistical data shows that OLED Burn In is such a rare occurence that they don't even mention it as anything to be concerned with except for some 2015 OLED TVs.
Data on 97,554 TVs owned by Consumer Reports members who purchased a new set between 2010 and 2018 has been collected. Many of these TVs are OLEDs. If Burn In was a common problem I am sure Consumer Reports would mention it.

Geoffrey Morrison and David Katzmaier of CNET
If you vary your TV viewing habits like most people, however, it won't be an issue. Even so, caveat emptor. Or as Caesar once said, "Conscientiam autem ardeat sed non anxius" (be aware of burn-in, but not concerned).

John Archer of Forbes
Occurrences of permanent screen burn in the real consumer world are now and will continue to be rare.

John Lennon - If everyone demanded peace instead of another television set, then there'd be peace. ✌
Nice collection of quotes. I don’t disagree with you...
Comparing us to salesman is however not totally accurate. The ones owning oled have bought the car and driving it as we speak...

I used to talk without owning oled and my comments were based on the reviewers and article...basically, not really substantiated...

i have great great respect for some reviewers but owners feedback when neutral is gold.

Just enjoy your tv.I game lots and my E7 is 3 years old.You will always get faulty tvs as with most things in life they can go wrong.Dont worry about burn in as watching varied content will be ok.I must point out I had a new panel fitted last Christmas but that was due to severe banding.Tv is like new still and used for 12 hours everyday.The CX should be more burn in proofed than my E7 but I’ve no issues.

After reading the OP's post, I don't understand why he even bothered with an OLED. He is literally worried every time he turns it on every minute of the day. Just do yourself a favor buddy....buy a Hisense H9G or a x900h/x950h instead.

Bam..... Worries are all gone. You might not get the best block levels but at least you don't have to worry every time your son games on ii or God forbid you watch something with a logo on screen.

You should get the warranty and not worry about it. I think you'll probably need a new panel before 2023 with regular 3 hour gaming sessions. People seem to say gamers don't experience burn in, but they will eventually. Tests show that static elements do cause burn in, it'll happen with any OLED, it'll just take a bit longer with the newer panels on TVs with features to reduce it. Turning down HUD brightness and avoiding HUDs with red and yellow will go a way to prevent it, but given 4 years, the likelihood that you're going to need a new panel is high enough to spend whatever on a warranty.

Be careful, (so not Max brightness, bright HUDs, and 100% gaming) - it's all you can do to prevent wrecking multiple panels before 2023. Maybe it'll just be becoming noticable by 2023, maybe 2022, maybe 2021. There are too many variables to predict when you will get burn in. Get the warranty for sure

Last edited:
I had a PS Vita with an OLED screen that I used for hours and hours with on-screen HUDs and the screen is still perfect even now, no burn-in.

It's why I was not too apprehensive about getting an OLED TV when I finally bought a 55" B9 last year. The problem for me was the price as they were expensive and far more than I would normally pay for a TV (I always bought Sony LED TVs previously between £300 and £900). With the PS5 and Xbox Series X coming - I'm now only getting a PS5 as the Xbox Series X has no games worth buying it for - and my increasing collection of 4K discs, I decided then was the time to upgrade to an OLED TV. I have not regretted it. Absolutely the best picture I have ever seen and movies and games look phenomenal on it, especially with HDR.

I play a lot of games but I also watch some Sky Q sports, NetFlix, Amazon Video, YouTube and BD/4K discs in between so my content is varied. I have had no issues with burn in so far but I do tend to use the mic to turn the "screen off" whenever I pause a movie or a game, even if I am only gone for a few minutes. It's probably unnecessary but it's so easy to do that it has now become habit. I think it is a good one to get into. Turning the screen off using the mic is also good for listening to Spotify or other music on the TV where a static image would otherwise be displayed.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom