MagSafe accessories

Anyone else finding their MagSafe annoying? I hate how it pulls from my bedside table at 3am when I need to ‘release’ my phone. In doing so slamming down with a thud 😢

The ‘smaller than normal QI’ seems to just make it more fiddly.

I guess I’m not alone in thinking it’s not quite perfect. (Though I appreciate folks love to make things for the sake of it)

View attachment 1392027
This is what I hate about it. You need two hands to release your iPhone from the charger. I can sometimes manage by holding the wire with a finger and pulling the phone off. I also hare how it moves around all the time. You pull your phone off and the MagSafe shoots across the desk!

Maybe this might help to go by the last few posts.

Maybe this might help to go by the last few posts.

Thanks. Yes something like that would help. 👍

Looks nice, and sounds appealing. But the fact I 'have' to pay £20 more on top of £40 or whatever it was, for something that really, wasn't that broken is a bit meh!

With my wooden hack, I can just slide my phone off now, one handed, so I'm "happy" now.

What annoys me now, is the damned "bing bong" when you drop it on charge!

You certainly can't beat paying extra for 'convenience'.

Apple know their market or would seem. 🤔

Still not convinced, at all. It would be a very user-hostile move, way more than removing the headphone socket.

One of many examples - I fly drones, and the DJI remotes use your smartphone for the screen and to run the controller software. It needs a physical connection, even a direct WiFi connection would not be fast or reliable enough. This could actually force me to move away from Apple. I’m not going to stop flying my drones and I’m not going to own 2 phones.

I would also be very unhappy with the slow charging speeds I would have. Fast charging is a must these days, even just standard charging is so much better than wireless.

Frankly MagSafe is a bit of a flop IMO. I thought it could’ve been great, but the emperor really does have no clothes. The fact that so few third party companies seem bothered to develop MagSafe products speaks volumes. Charging with MagSafe is actually less convenient than a high speed cable or normal wireless charging. I just don’t get it.

Last edited:
Wouldn't surprise me if they could NFC a physical port via MagSafe or something 'Apple Clever'. Don't know enough about NFC to know if it has enough bandwidth, but, I'm sure they have cards up their sleeves.

Ordered this to give it a go. We'll see if it survives coilovers on my track settings without dropping my phone. Going to use one of the adhesive mounts instead of the vent mount though. I don't expect it to charge faster than 7.5w but then I don't really want it to either, fast charging kills.

The Zeera Suvolt arrived. I say Zeera Suvolt, it was a bunch of different cheap products lumped together in the same box.... still in all their differently branded boxes!

I’ve not driven the car yet, I’m not massively confident it’ll be strong enough magnetically but we’ll see. I’ll turn the coilovers up to my track settings and see if it flings my phone off when I go out this evening.

I’m using an Anker charger with a 12w USB-A and 18W USB-C, the suvolt comes with a C-A cable so until I get a C-C I’m stuck using the 12W port. I’m fairly sure it’s not a case of not agreeing a fast charge handshake on the A, but without the C I can’t confirm. It’s not showing the magsafe ring animation.
4A9BC51A-9AE7-4BE1-9F8F-FFBC0B330883.jpeg2E4599DE-7EFA-4372-8596-F49E371BF9CD.png

Well, I have to give it to the Suvolt. It surprised me. Whilst the magnetic connection feels very weak and doesn't feel like it'd handle much in the way of sharp shocks, I wound the coilovers on the car up to full back breaker mode and mounted the phone completely vertically. I've had various errands to do today and come across plenty of potholes, bumps, lumps, and those really annoying black and white speed bumps that are really short and really tall that bounce you off the ceiling - didn't even get close to budging. Very impressive. I don't think that without the magsafe case (I'm using Zeera's own) it would stay put with those bumps, but with the case on it seems secure.

As for charging, the C-C cable turned up and voila, magsafe animation and whilst I've not tested the speed yet, it definitely seems to be charging at the 7.5W Apple caps third party chargers to, if not faster (I know others have seen it charging at 8-9W). I'm not particularly keen on charging much faster than that, it's plenty enough that I can have Waze up and it charge my phone on a long drive. Besides, I've got the 12W USB-A which I'd like to think works when you connect a phone directly to it, seeing as it evidently didn't like the Zeera.

Ultimately I think it's redeemed itself. I'm not entirely sure you couldn't get the component parts separately for less, but IMO it does what it says on the tin and I'm happy with that.

Anyone know of a good MagSafe charger "holder", like so you can attach the MagSafe to it to have your phone upright?

Anyone know of a good MagSafe charger "holder", like so you can attach the MagSafe to it to have your phone upright?
Plenty of 3D printed ones available.

I am struggling to choose which one is better, Belkin or SINREGeek?
Belkin’s model only with ccar vent mount and cannot be charged. Sinregeek’s model has a 15W fast charging function and a stand function. My sister's SINREGeek charger works well,The prices of the two are similar. Which one should I choose?

I think that only you can answer that. We don’t know if you need charging or not.

Belkin’s model does not charge.

As far as I am aware there is no third party charger that will charge above approx 7.5W as Apple limits the charge speed for anything but the official magsafe puck. My Zeera Suvolt measured at 8.3W though.

View attachment 1397412View attachment 1397413View attachment 1397414

Because I’m fed up of having the ‘puck’ drop on to my bedside table at 3am and wake the whole house.

Just need something to weigh my wooden slab down!

(I appreciate I could have just Velcro’d or double sided the puck to my bedside, but that would take the top layer of the bedside table off I reckon!)

it looks nice
change the magsafe wireless charger into a phone holder
nice idea

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom