Mains with sub (s) final round

paulkebab

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello all, currently running IPL S2tlm in a 14'x12'x9' room, facing the long side so I have a wide stage but not much depth. I built these a few years ago but need to get more on the top end as my ears are fading. Talking to Ivan at IPL suggested changing the tweeter resistor but I've only 0.5R left, I've always thought the ribbon tweeter sounds beautiful but sometimes too polite, even with the treble pushed up on my Vincent SV237 amp. I asked about replacing it with a soft dome or beryllium unit with mods to the crossover but this is not possible. Really? If so, that means a new build and the Wilmslow Audio Vogue looks very nice, front ported with a dome tweeter, and good FR but I believe it can sound a bit hard in the midrange? This is definitely not what I want, enquiries to WA could not elaborate. My partner said the other night if I could make something similar to the cinema setup I made of a pair of modified IPL (smaller cabs) with a home brewed Kickers sub which sounds surprisingly good. Told her no the room is very different but I could get roughly 850-950mm high mains with supporting subs, 8 or 10" as long as they could be removed after a session (no problem here). So I'm open to suggestions as to a kit, ready made or a combo, REL and BK subs look really good. Sorry to rabbit on and I don't expect a single solution but some good ideas.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom