MAKE MY XMAS! TV audio not working

avnoob213

Novice Member
Reaction score
A/V noob here.
Recently set up a Denon AVR-S740H to surround speakers. Cable box sounds great, but cannot get to connect to TV/netflix/etc. Have tried all the youtube/google searching but cant figure it out. I feel like i am one button/switch away but am not having the luck.
- HDMI plugged into Samsung one connect Box (HDMI - ARC slot). Other end is plugged into HDMI Out -Monitor on Receiver.
- Fooled around with Input assign, other modes but cannot get any sound. Any suggestions?!

Attachments

• denon4.jpg
    denon4.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 72
  • denon3.jpg
    denon3.jpg
    236.4 KB · Views: 73
  • denon2.jpg
    denon2.jpg
    233.4 KB · Views: 75
  • denon1.jpg
    denon1.jpg
    237.6 KB · Views: 77
Where it says digital can you change that from coax to hdmi?

You will have to enable ARC on both receiver and TV. Or you could use a second optical out from the TV to the receiver. Go to HDMI settings on the Denon and enable ARC. You will have to do the same on the TV, as well as CEC. Turn both units off and back on to ensure a good handshake.

@avnoob213

You urgently need to check your speaker wiring from what I'm seeing in your photos.

At the speaker terminals, you have far too much bare copper exposed and the wires appear to be almost shorting together. You need to re-make these connections and not strip so much insulation off or put some insulation sleeving on them. At best, the amplifier will trip out, at worst it will destroy the amp if the wires are moved and short together.

Attachments

• denon2.jpg
    denon2.jpg
    214.9 KB · Views: 54
I also have concerns over the speaker wiring, how do you know which is positive and negative?

I also have concerns over the speaker wiring, how do you know which is positive and negative?

I suspect each conductor has a colour coded sleeve to ident. polarity but appears to have been stripped back level with the outer sleeve.

@avnoob213

You urgently need to check your speaker wiring from what I'm seeing in your photos.

At the speaker terminals, you have far too much bare copper exposed and the wires appear to be almost shorting together. You need to re-make these connections and not strip so much insulation off or put some insulation sleeving on them. At best, the amplifier will trip out, at worst it will destroy the amp if the wires are moved and short together.
Oh yes, those wires are an accident waiting to happen.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom