Maleficent 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
Again thanks for the review,another 4K UHD i will be picking up :).

It's getting really odd with Disney volume tweaking,my Ratatouille from the US came the the other day,great Atmos track no volume tweaking needed at all,but nearly all the have needed it,very :confused::(

Last edited:
Thanks for this review Cas,

I actually really liked watching this (many times!) with my daughter :)

Such a shame Disney wont sort out this 4K issue they have with apple :thumbsdow

Thanks for the Review Cas. Up to now, somehow never got to watch this, but it is firmly on the list after this Review

Only watched this a couple of weeks ago and it was a pleasant surprise. Great story, very nice picture, decent sound. For me it's gone from a curiosity to a disc I would not mind owning.

The 3D version is a belter, not sure i'd prefer a 4K over that.
trailer for the sequel looks good too.

Just watched it - a fantastic Movie, all round. Hats off to Disney & Jolie for staying faithful to the original while simultaneously turning the story on its head.

I remember reading the review and thinking, ok Cas likes it but surely I won't... well curiosity got the better of me and I watched it with the family this morning.

We all thought it was wonderful, the 6yo had no trouble with any of it but was concerned about the fate of a sidekick. No one other than me was very bothered about who didn't survive. Ok it was obvious, but in a film where we're shown people can change it's a shame the old trope applies to someone else.

For me I was a little agitated that it felt like Angolina's movie with everyone else being there to make her look good. Yes she was brilliant, and yes it was wonderful seeing traditional roles in the film subverted, but it did feel like a monologue to me at times.

We saw the 4k, and although I often feel I can't see a difference with 4k having watched the 4 Hunger Games on Bluray over the last few days it was instantly obvious Maleficent's picture quality was somehow superior.... ok film to film comparisons aren't very fair.

Finally I watched it first in German and then some scenes again in English. My wife will rewatch in English as it was too complex for her. The kid has much better English than German but German dubbed versions of films often have "flat" standard accents which she can understand whereas the English original's often have varied accents which she doesn't get at all (same in German when they use regional accents though). Yes, for adults it loses something not hearing the original language.

Having said that it was very interesting that the dialogue level in the German was often better i.e. louder whereas with the English some lines were whisper quiet and I thought harder to hear. Also one of two jokes/through away lines were just funnier in German. "True love doesn't fall from a tree" fell flat with the family after we'd already heard "true love doesn't fall from the sky" in the German version... which was just more appropriate and also a common phrase... oddly in English and German!

//oh and the whole "is it ok for the Prince to kiss Sleeping Beauty" argument is popular in my house. Our view now is that if the Prince knows of the curse and knows he is kissing her to save her then the kiss is in no way offensive. Not all versions of the fairy tale have the prince knowing he is saving her though, albeit there is also overlap with Snowwhite here.

On that note we were all very impressed with the behaviour of the prince in this one. Overly PC? I think in this day and age absolutely not.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom