Marantz 8805 owners thread

Is it possible for firmware update to be downloaded onto usb stick rather than over internet?

I see a few places have now dropped the price of this to £2799, if it drops any lower I may be tempted, but was waiting for the announcement of the AV8806 as it’s still a lot of money to fork out for something that is likely to be replaced within the next year or two.

Is the 8805 really that much better than the 8801 that I’ll be replacing.

Missed all the gang too much so thought I’d come back again 🤣

If you have a itch always make sure it's the right one b4 scratching it:D

Buy a train set:rotfl:

Just a quick question regarding the 8805,I currently run a 7702mk11 apart from the extra channels would a move to the 8805 be a worthwhile upgrade? I run 5.1.2 and cant see me being able to change or add more channels apart from possibly an extra sub or wide fronts...just curious!

Just a quick question regarding the 8805,I currently run a 7702mk11 apart from the extra channels would a move to the 8805 be a worthwhile upgrade? I run 5.1.2 and cant see me being able to change or add more channels apart from possibly an extra sub or wide fronts...just curious!

The 8805 was a big step up from the 8802 so I’d suggest you’ll get a large jump in performance.

To be fair, until I try my next thing, I’m not unhappy with what my Marantz 8012 does. I actually prefer it to the Anthem that I had previously.

Last edited:
The 8805 was a big step up from the 8802 so I’d suggest you’ll get a large jump in performance.

don’t say that, I assumed the 8805 was very similar to the 8802a, which is why I went with the Anthem for my upgrade

Moving from a 8802 to the 8805 could you give me an idea of where you benefited? My 7702 is doing a pretty good job but like most things after you have had them for a few years that curiosity for something newer and hopefully better comes along!

don’t say that, I assumed the 8805 was very similar to the 8802a, which is why I went with the Anthem for my upgrade

Sorry mate 🤣

IMO, in my room with my equipment the 8805 is the best all round processor out there under £10k, I’ve tried quite a few. I will add this is strictly for movie watching, I know there are better options for music.

If it was made by a smaller independent business it would be priced much higher, they can only make them for the price they do due to their buying power and infrastructure.

Moving from a 8802 to the 8805 could you give me an idea of where you benefited? My 7702 is doing a pretty good job but like most things after you have had them for a few years that curiosity for something newer and hopefully better comes along!

I’ve not had an 8802 but if you read the reviews of people and reviewers that have had or tested both, the increase in performance seems pretty big.

Obviously the more channels you have, the more you will benefit. In your instance. The 7705 may be an option.

Sorry mate 🤣

IMO, in my room with my equipment the 8805 is the best all round processor out there under £10k, I’ve tried quite a few. I will add this is strictly for movie watching, I know there are better options for music.

If it was made by a smaller independent business it would be priced much higher, they can only make them for the price they do due to their buying power and infrastructure.

I’ve not had an 8802 but if you read the reviews of people and reviewers that have had or tested both, the increase in performance seems pretty big.

Obviously the more channels you have, the more you will benefit. In your instance. The 7705 may be an option.
It appears the room eq systems the various ones you've tried has little bearing on your final choice? or have you got a standalone eq box in the mix?

Will do some reading but as you pointed out the 7705 could be a good option,I came from the earlier 7702 then onto the mk11 to get the benefits of newer av technology or as some people would put it the manufacturers need us to keep upgrading! With a lot of us that doesn't take massive amounts of persuasion ;)

It appears the room eq systems the various ones you've tried has little bearing on your final choice? or have you got a standalone eq box in the mix?

Just using the inbuilt EQ on the processor.

Audyssey (via the app) actually works really well for me, loads of dynamics, detail and very smooth with the mid and high frequencies.

Audyssey (via the app) actually works really well for me, loads of dynamics, detail and very smooth with the mid and high frequencies.

You‘re lucky, I found the App to be total tosh. It’s readings were way out compared to REW for me, especially were the Sub was concerned.

I find the internal Eq to be better than the app, guess each to there own

You‘re lucky, I found the App to be total tosh. It’s readings were way out compared to REW for me, especially were the Sub was concerned.
I find the internal Eq to be better than the app, guess each to there own

I did on earlier incarnations of the app, but recently got better results with it.

You can also turn off the mid range compensation and pull the curtains back (which i do for the sub as I use a minidsp), which to my ears sounds much better.

And that’s part of why the App is crApp, it still needs some external influence.

I'd wait for the av8806 rather rebuy av8805 if you're desperate for a av pre and have nothing just drop back to stereo or get a cheap old av pre

I'd wait for the av8806 rather rebuy av8805 if you're desperate for a av pre and have nothing just drop back to stereo or get a cheap old av pre

Here we go again.

Listen to one before judging.

There won’t be an upgrade in the 8805 for at least 2 years other than maybe a new hdmi board which will be a 8805a.

And that’s part of why the App is crApp, it still needs some external influence.

It didn’t really, it was only when I went to 4 subs that I brought another minidsp into the chain, in fact when I had only 2 subs I sold my first minidsp as the app did a good enough job not to need it.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom