Marantz 8805 owners thread

It didn’t really, it was only when I went to 4 subs that I brought another minidsp into the chain, in fact when I had only 2 subs I sold my first minidsp as the app did a good enough job not to need it.

Like I said previously, you’re probably lucky, all dependant. I just found it very different to what REW confirmed to me.

Just using the inbuilt EQ on the processor.

Audyssey (via the app) actually works really well for me, loads of dynamics, detail and very smooth with the mid and high frequencies.
So you didn't get any better results with Dirac?

The AV8805 at the current reduced price has come onto my radar but putting me off are my results with Audyssey which recently are sounding off. Then after a few weeks of nothing but Disney Atmos mixes having churned through 10 Star Wars and 3 Toy Story UHDs I rewatched Terminator Dark Fate and suddenly all the things I'd been missing were there. So not my Audyssey setup to blame at all :smashin:

Reviews note just up the volume with the Disneys (which is why I've been looking for more power) but that for me still does nothing to fix the flat dynamics of the soundtracks.

Like I said previously, you’re probably lucky, all dependant. I just found it very different to what REW confirmed to me.

Remember the app is correcting for an average listening position, not just the MLP. As you know, sub readings can vary massively by moving just a few Cm.

Either way, you’re possibly right, I think I’m lucky with audyssey, but that’s possibly because it’s not having to do a lot in my room.

So you didn't get any better results with Dirac?

The AV8805 at the current reduced price has come onto my radar but putting me off are my results with Audyssey which recently are sounding off. Then after a few weeks of nothing but Disney Atmos mixes having churned through 10 Star Wars and 3 Toy Story UHDs I rewatched Terminator Dark Fate and suddenly all the things I'd been missing were there. So not my Audyssey setup to blame at all :smashin:

Reviews note just up the volume with the Disneys (which is why I've been looking for more power) but that for me still does nothing to fix the flat dynamics of the soundtracks.

Spent a year with Dirac, never worked for me, sucked the life out of my system but this could be the Arcam implementation of it?

Audyssey works better than room perfect in my room. RP was too boomy and sharp on the higher frequencies.

Have you tried changing audyssey from reference to flat? This added a load of energy to my setup, could be worth a try for you?

Correct, that doesn’t fix the issue at all. Sound placement is probably ok but as for the rest of it, very un-dynamic and not very engaging at all.

Correct, that doesn’t fix the issue at all. Sound placement is probably ok but as for the rest of it, very un-dynamic and not very engaging at all.

See I’d disagree somewhat, especially on the last Jedi which was reference sounding to me.

Remember the app is correcting for an average listening position, not just the MLP. As you know, sub readings can vary massively by moving just a few Cm.

Either way, you’re possibly right, I think I’m lucky with audyssey, but that’s possibly because it’s not having to do a lot in my room.

Yeah I would suggest you’re lucky. And not forgetting that we all listen differently.

Spent a year with Dirac, never worked for me, sucked the life out of my system but this could be the Arcam implementation of it?

Audyssey works better than room perfect in my room. RP was too boomy and sharp on the higher frequencies.

Have you tried changing audyssey from reference to flat? This added a load of energy to my setup, could be worth a try for you?
What about the Dirac with the Emotiva?
I've run it with flat but always too harsh sounding for my ears.

Last edited:
What about the Dirac with the Emotiva?

Not out yet mate. Supposed to be released at some point in the summer.

Have you tried flat instead of reference on the audyssey setting?

Not out yet mate. Supposed to be released at some point in the summer.

Have you tried flat instead of reference on the audyssey setting?
My mistake I thought I'd read somewhere it was now available.
I've run it with flat but always too harsh sounding for my ears in the upper range.

My mistake I thought I'd read somewhere it was now available.
I've run it with flat but always too harsh sounding for my ears in the upper range.

If using the app, try the higher roll off.

If not, try flat with your treble knocked down by 3db. In theory it is then similar to reference, but seems to have more life to it.

I posted a few pages back, but it looks like the recent topic is exactly what I'm trying to figure out.
I'm somewhat disappointed that the 8805 does not support Audyssey Pro, and only allows a basic setup with the cheap plastic non-calibrated microphone.
I bought the licence and kit to set up my 8801 and the difference between a standard and pro calibration is quite profound.

So considering the "improvements" made with the 8805 over the 8802, are they sufficient to still make it better sounding considering you cannot get the 8805 properly and super-precisely calibrated?

The 8802 would do for me (proper HDCP support on 4k content, Atmos a bonus), but losing out the pro calibration on the 8805 makes me think twice. The other new sound streaming features of the 8805 don't really interest me at this point: I'm purely looking for good stereo / audio performance and a nuanced and detailed HC presentation, whilst still fixing the horrible acoustics in my lounge.

I posted a few pages back, but it looks like the recent topic is exactly what I'm trying to figure out.
I'm somewhat disappointed that the 8805 does not support Audyssey Pro, and only allows a basic setup with the cheap plastic non-calibrated microphone.
I bought the licence and kit to set up my 8801 and the difference between a standard and pro calibration is quite profound.

So considering the "improvements" made with the 8805 over the 8802, are they sufficient to still make it better sounding considering you cannot get the 8805 properly and super-precisely calibrated?

The 8802 would do for me (proper HDCP support on 4k content, Atmos a bonus), but losing out the pro calibration on the 8805 makes me think twice. The other new sound streaming features of the 8805 don't really interest me at this point: I'm purely looking for good stereo / audio performance and a nuanced and detailed HC presentation, whilst still fixing the horrible acoustics in my lounge.

ok, so to give you an idea on my thoughts on the 8805.
Over the past 3 years I’ve had the following in my room:
Denon 7200 with IOTA power amp in a 7.2.4 config
Moved to an Arcam 550 with Emotiva Gen3-XPA11
Then on an Arcam 860 with the Emo.
Moved to a Marantz 8805, increasing channel count to 7.2.6
2 week home trial of a Lyngdorf MP50
Decided to buy blind and Emotiva RMC1L, mistakingly sold my 8805.
2 weeks later, I ordered a new 8805!!!

In my room it sounds absolutely incredible, clearly better than anything I’ve had in my room but also much better than any demo rooms that I have been to. It’s a brilliant piece of AV equipment and it’s taken me to sell my first one to fully realise just how good it is.

Audyssey works really well for me (I’m not saying it does for everyone), but in my room at least, it’s been better than both Dirac and the much fabled room perfect, which was anything but.

Just my thoughts, but seeing as I effectively wrote off over £1000 within 2 weeks of selling my first one should give you an idea of how good I think it is.

Great to read your long term thoughts on the 8805, although still a relatively expensive piece of kit, it’s much more realistic for a lot of us who love our movies.
Thanks for sharing your experience :thumbsup:

Thanks @mb3195 . Let me know when you foolishly want to try something else so I can buy the 8805 off you :D

I've had Audyssey pro and had the denon 7200 marantz SR8012 and av7705 with the app they are better, and I would say better than the lexicon rv-9 Arcam avr850. Now I have the nad t778 with Dirac 5.3 and it is amazing. But if you need more than 9 or 11 channel's then go for marantz 8805.

Guys can anyone articulate what the differences are in specs between the 8802A and 8805 .. and perhaps those who have upgraded what differences they saw / heard?

Thanks

I've had Audyssey pro and had the denon 7200 marantz SR8012 and av7705 with the app they are better, and I would say better than the lexicon rv-9 Arcam avr850. Now I have the nad t778 with Dirac 5.3 and it is amazing. But if you need more than 9 or 11 channel's then go for marantz 8805.
Thanks, although I really don't want an amplifier as I have my own amps I'm using. I just need the processing part. But good to know you're happy with the app

Guys can anyone articulate what the differences are in specs between the 8802A and 8805 .. and perhaps those who have upgraded what differences they saw / heard?

Thanks

There are a fair number of differences (including future upgrades), but for me overwhelmingly the most important is the Audyssey app. The 8802a can't use it the 8805 can. That means you can use room eq but avoid the default Audyssey curve, and set EQ curtains etc.

There are a fair number of differences (including future upgrades), but for me overwhelmingly the most important is the Audyssey app. The 8802a can't use it the 8805 can. That means you can use room eq but avoid the default Audyssey curve, and set EQ curtains etc.
Im keen to follow this can you expand on your findings Doug , moving to your 8802a from previous x6300h I lost heos and app but in all honesty the ability to use direct wi-fi on the fly seems to me miles better than the apps basic functionality ?

afaik the 8805 gains earc 2.1 and 2 extra channel processing does it sound better than the 8802a ? as you know i added 3d auro and im very happy with it so I think what people need to know is what is to be gained by the upgrade cost ?

Im keen to follow this can you expand on your findings Doug , moving to your 8802a from previous x6300h I lost heos and app but in all honesty the ability to use direct wi-fi on the fly seems to me miles better than the apps basic functionality ?

afaik the 8805 gains earc 2.1 and 2 extra channel processing does it sound better than the 8802a ? as you know i added 3d auro and im very happy with it so I think what people need to know is what is to be gained by the upgrade cost ?
Sure. I'll likely post about this again later today, as I received the AV8805 yesterday. I haven't had a huge amount of time to put it through its paces yet, so these are initial thoughts.

On sound quality difference between the 8802A and 8805 - I doubt there's any audible difference pre-Audyssey.

On specs difference other than Audyssey app (which I'll come to), for me the big ones are firmware eARC upgrade; future HDMI 2.1 upgrade; and future DTS:X Pro upgrade. Put those features together with the 8805's existing feature set, and you have the most fully featured processor on the market (although of course, others do better room correction).

As I mentioned, a major difference between the 8802A and 8805 is the Audyssey app. On the 8802A you're stuck with the default correction curves, unless you buy a pro kit. On the 8805 you can make your own.

Now, the Audyssey app is a load of tosh, but with 'Ratbuddyssey' (see here) it can generate very precise curves.

Ratbuddyssey is essentially a programme for editing the files the app generates. It means you can use the same curves for all channels (crucial for integrating them), and edit the control points on a desktop. For example, I'm using the attached curve, which took me about 10 minutes to edit, match for all channels, and upload to the 8805. It's very straightforward. I need to verify with REW and tweak a bit, and then combine with sub filters I'll generate on my MiniDSP 2*4 HD.

IMO, Audyssey app+Ratbuddyssey+something like a MiniDSP 2*4, really closes the gap between Audyssey and Dirac/other room correction. It provides a lot of flexibility. Unlike the units featuring Dirac though, the 8805 (like the 8802A) works perfectly and reliably out of the box, without any bugs.

Attachments

• curve_open_bg.png
    curve_open_bg.png
    47.9 KB · Views: 53
Unlike the units featuring Dirac though, the 8805 (like the 8802A) works perfectly and reliably out of the box, without any bugs.
Didn't you have an Emotiva for a while? I agree with you life is too short to have an AV Processor giving you grief all the time when you all want it to do is work as expected. I had a Marantz AV8801 for 5 years and was very happy with it - and to use the quote 'it did what it said on the tin'. From selling the AV8801 I went through 2 NADs and now the Lyngdorf. If the AV880x had a better RP system then it would have an easier choice for me to go with it. Be interested to see how you get on with the App & Ratbuddyssey - George

Sure. I'll likely post about this again later today, as I received the AV8805 yesterday. I haven't had a huge amount of time to put it through its paces yet, so these are initial thoughts.

On sound quality difference between the 8802A and 8805 - I doubt there's any audible difference pre-Audyssey.

On specs difference other than Audyssey app (which I'll come to), for me the big ones are firmware eARC upgrade; future HDMI 2.1 upgrade; and future DTS:X Pro upgrade. Put those features together with the 8805's existing feature set, and you have the most fully featured processor on the market (although of course, others do better room correction).

As I mentioned, a major difference between the 8802A and 8805 is the Audyssey app. On the 8802A you're stuck with the default correction curves, unless you buy a pro kit. On the 8805 you can make your own.

Now, the Audyssey app is a load of tosh, but with 'Ratbuddyssey' (see here) it can generate very precise curves.

Ratbuddyssey is essentially a programme for editing the files the app generates. It means you can use the same curves for all channels (crucial for integrating them), and edit the control points on a desktop. For example, I'm using the attached curve, which took me about 10 minutes to edit, match for all channels, and upload to the 8805. It's very straightforward. I need to verify with REW and tweak a bit, and then combine with sub filters I'll generate on my MiniDSP 2*4 HD.

IMO, Audyssey app+Ratbuddyssey+something like a MiniDSP 2*4, really closes the gap between Audyssey and Dirac/other room correction. It provides a lot of flexibility. Unlike the units featuring Dirac though, the 8805 (like the 8802A) works perfectly and reliably out of the box, without any bugs.
very interesting i wish i had known about this when I previously used the app , I also have room analyser pro 2 but have absolutely no idea how to use it ? I cant seem to find any step by step tutorials about it

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom