Marantz 8805 owners thread

Didn't you have an Emotiva for a while?

Yes, I had the XMC-2. I returned it as faulty as it had too many bugs. I was genuinely uncertain prior to buying it, but took a punt that I could put up with the bugs. I couldn't in the end. Nevertheless, I felt slightly reluctant to return it because it sounded amazing. That said, the 8805 hasn't disappointed so far - it was definitely the right decision to make the change.

So that's two people who bought emotiva av pre that returned it.

Which I predicted would happen...

So that's two people who bought emotiva av pre that returned it.

Which I predicted would happen...

Can you predict next weeks winning lottery numbers please? I could do with re-stocking my bank account. 🤔

Anyone had gear upgraded? Browsing ebay seen this.

Main Power Supply Board

The main power supply board houses the important buffer capacitors and bridge rectifier for the audio unit.

We change all buffer and support capacitors by the best versions that is available on market. We use 4 large (15000uf) Mundorf Mlytic and 8 high end Elna capacitors. Additionally we change a few other capacitors with best one. So we get a total of round about 70000uf best buffer capacity only for the audio unit.

Also we changed the bad bridge rectifier with ultrafast, softrecovery diodes for less switching distortion.

Totally we changed 33 parts on the main power supply board.

DAC Board

The buffer capacitors on the dac board were changed by audiophile ultra low esr capacitors and partially bypassed by best wima foils. The coupling capacitors were be replaced with best wima foil capacitors.

All operational amplifiers were changed by best sounding Texas Instruments Versions by the sound plus serie.

Additionally we changed 104 parts on the dac board.

HDAM Modules

The marantz AV8805 have 15 discret builded hyper dynamic amplifier modules.

We replaced all coupling and buffer capacitors with audiophile, better versions. Furthermore we use best wima foil where it's possible and/or as a bypass for optimal impulse response and best filtering.

We make 150 changes on the 15 HDAM boards.

XLR In Board

All coupling and buffer capacitors were changed by best sounding capacitors with better technical values.

Of course we use Wima foils for better impulse response and filtering.

Also we replace all operational amplifier by best sounding Texas Instruments versions of the sound plus serie.

We replaced 14 parts on this small board.

Switching Power Supply

This board provide for the digital unit. We improve the filtering and replace the fuse by a better one.

We make 4 changes on this board.

In summary we make 304 changes in the Marantz AV8805 to improve the sound quality.

:facepalm:

I guess if someone gets that component upgrade you are knackered when it comes to hardware hdmi upgrade, marantz will refuse to touch it. Ie 8805 to 8805a

Firmware upgrades should be ok for that model though? (Only doing 8805 firmware updates)

Official Firmware upgrades are highly unlikely to be developed with 3rd party hardware installation in mind.

It would be a big risk.

Official Firmware upgrades are highly unlikely to be developed with 3rd party hardware installation in mind.

It would be a big risk.

In theory it should work as it's just capacitors etc. Would be in interesting seeing what would happen....if modded 8805 was your own unit and I press update firmware. If it's fails no skin off my nose hehe.

In theory it should work as it's just capacitors etc
Another strand of your nonsense. You've been thread banned multiple times for spouting rubbish and clogging up otherwise useful threads.

In theory it is unlikely to work because firmware is written for specific hardware configurations. You might get lucky, but it's a big risk.

I think Arcam might be hiring software engineers if you're interested? You seem appropriately qualified. ;) o_O

Last edited:
Interesting comment which explains result of the 7705/8805 trail off

"We are seeing unusually aggressive roll off on Marantz flagships that we would expect to be flatter. We have quotes from Denon about relying on the ear and a HF roll off. Their demo rooms use B&W D3 speakers.

So, that combination of factors could lead to D+M developing a piece of equipment that is poorly designed (forced HF roll off) yet sounds better under the specific conditions that were used for development and assessment in Japan. But for the end user, you end up with poor performance when using a neutral speaker."

Interesting comment which explains result of the 7705/8805 trail off

"We are seeing unusually aggressive roll off on Marantz flagships that we would expect to be flatter. We have quotes from Denon about relying on the ear and a HF roll off. Their demo rooms use B&W D3 speakers.

So, that combination of factors could lead to D+M developing a piece of equipment that is poorly designed (forced HF roll off) yet sounds better under the specific conditions that were used for development and assessment in Japan. But for the end user, you end up with poor performance when using a neutral speaker."
Source?

How you getting on with the 8805 Doug?
Really enjoying it. I do miss Dirac though and the Audyssey tweaking via Ratbuddyssey is less precise, when verified by REW, than I'd hoped. I'm sure I could get it to roughly the same place, but it would require much more work than with Dirac.

That said, it sounds great, works perfectly, and has tonnes of useful features - a combination Dirac-based models conspicuously fail to achieve at the moment.

Hi, alluded to in other thread but thought I'd ask here; does any one know if there is any dealer in the South East (or anywhere else for that matter!) that is able to provide a loan 8805 for home demo?

Cheers

Price increase to £3399.......is this something coming across the board for D&M stuff?

My 8805 will be landing today. Cannot wait! Hopefully i will hear a difference from the 4500. Will report back.

Has anyone moved on to the 8805 from an Anthem MRX720? If so, what were your thoughts on the move?

My 8805 will be landing today. Cannot wait! Hopefully i will hear a difference from the 4500. Will report back.
You will love it , I went from 6300h to 8802a which according to Doug @DLxP who kindly supplied it says they sound essentially the same , I noted a massive improvement in quality and dynamics and for music it was night and day just so much better :clap:

You will love it , I went from 6300h to 8802a which according to Doug @DLxP who kindly supplied it says they sound essentially the same , I noted a massive improvement in quality and dynamics and for music it was night and day just so much better :clap:
Sounds great! And from what I have read, the internal DACs have all been changed from the 8802a to 8805.

Sounds great! And from what I have read, the internal DACs have all been changed from the 8802a to 8805.
I couldn't comment as I don't know which dacs are fitted to both models or what the specs are ?

I beleive that the DACs in the 8805 are the same as the 8802A, I have had both and i think the 8805 sounds better so although the DACs are the same the implemetation may have changed.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom