Marantz 8805/7705 vs Denon 8500

UMAR 3:16

Reaction score
Hi,

Always thinking about the next upgrade. At some point I will switch to Pre-Pro. Have been looking at models, I find acram just wayyyy too buggy and the lack of WiFi on the 850 just puts me off. Anthem again are probably due an upgrade soon. So was looking at these two processors. On paper I can the main difference being 11.2 vs 13.2 channels. I would love to 9.2.4 but my room won’t support this. Is there any other difference with these machines? The price difference is massive!

Internals are complete different I believe. The 8805 is an awesome piece of kit, much prefer it to my old arcam 860.

Internals are complete different I believe. The 8805 is an awesome piece of kit, much prefer it to my old arcam 860.
So it’s not just channels then?

So it’s not just channels then?

Nope, better DACs and different chassis I believe.

Tough to beat at their prices, bomb proof and ultra reliable as well.

Nope, better DACs and different chassis I believe.

Tough to beat at their prices, bomb proof and ultra reliable as well.
I love the fact it just works. Lol

I love the fact it just works. Lol

I think this point is often missed. My Arcam hdmi was flaky when used with my lumagen. I’d be tempted with an emotiva if it wasn’t riddled with bugs. Being honest, you just want a processor or receiver that does it’s job almost forgetting it is in your chain.

BTW I also prefer audyssey in my room compared to Dirac, I only watch movies, but to me, it has miles more energy than the Arcam and Dirac.

I had a marantz 7011 it did just work.....tbh i fancy a 7705 brilliant price! Wish i could find somewhere to trade me nads in
I’m in two minds about this too

Let me know if you ever want a listen
Would love to listen to your room. It looks fantastic! I’m in London though so not so easy...

Would love to listen to your room. It looks fantastic! I’m in London though so not so easy...

Well let me know if you’re ever passing, I’m only 90 minutes away.

Well let me know if you’re ever passing, I’m only 90 minutes away.
Same goes for you. If you ever wanted a listen and are passing by, would value you’re option.

7705 has been working great for me so far!! Solid bit of kit but I definitely need to play with Audyssey more tho.

Which bugs could you not overcome?
Me personally none. Just the amount you read here and on other websites/videos. If I were going acram it would be the older series but the lack of WiFi is a no go. coupled with the fact the few times I have heard the 860 to my ears there wasn’t much of an audio movie experience gain over my current setup.

I find acram just wayyyy too buggy

Thats what I read as well. No way could I pay £xxxx for something and still be pissing about with it 3-4 years later.

At this point in time, I think I’d be hanging on a little while.

Thats what I read as well. No way could I pay £xxxx for something and still be pissing about with it 3-4 years later.
Yep....would drive me insane! I watch movies twice a week. It’s an event. Lights out, kids sleeping.... here we go... oh the sounds not coming .... I hear clicking.... it’s not updating....would go nuts

Exactly, stuff that for a lark. Paying £xxxx and putting up with that, you’d have to be a Arcam fanatic or something or other. If they sort their crap out then fair enough, otherwise forget it.

I've not touched my Arcam AVR550 for several months now. It did take a while to get it set up how I like it, plus, I kept changing my centre speaker, but it's been solid for ages, and hopefully it stays that way. If not, the 5 year warranty is a nice safety net.

What do you need Wi-Fi for?

I've not touched my Arcam AVR550 for several months now. It did take a while to get it set up how I like it, plus, I kept changing my centre speaker, but it's been solid for ages, and hopefully it stays that way. If not, the 5 year warranty is a nice safety net.

What do you need Wi-Fi for?
It took you several months is my point. I’m not built like that. Would throw it out! WiFi for firmware updates

Has anyone go from a say a 4500 with power amp to a 7705 with power amp? Keen to know what the gains are?

Has anyone go from a say a 4500 with power amp to a 7705 with power amp? Keen to know what the gains are?

I went from a 7200 to my 8805 which simply blows it out of the water in every way.

I went from a 7200 to my 8805 which simply blows it out of the water in every way.
hmmm this is getting so tempting. What did you find was the main wow factor difference? We’re you running the 7200 with a power amp?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom