Question Marantz CD52 mk 2 - will it still cut it?

GingerRocky

Prominent Member
Reaction score
hi

i recently got back into seperates and current setup is a marantz 6006 uk edition, dali 1 spektars and a project essential 3 turntable.

i have the cd player above in its box in the loft, been up there for a good 20 years now. would it still make the grade with this modern amp or should i sell and upgrade if the missus wants to keep her CD's?

i haven't played cd's for years but recently started my vinyl collection again but we have over 200 cd's.

The PM6006 has digital inputs, si you can take advantage of the more modern DAC in the amp, and see if it offers a better sound than the older DAC in the CD player.
As long as the CD player still works, it is definitely worth keeping in my opinion.

The best thing to do is get the 'old girl' out the loft and fire her up and see what you think!

Nothing to lose by hooking it up as long as all the moving parts are in good order then you can, as mentioned above, just use as a transport to take advantage of a more modern DAC in the amp as it has a digital coax.

I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised. Sure you may not get the resolution that modern players give but you will get a very listenable and musical sound.

i think you're all right. i'll get her down and fire her up. she was such a great player 20 yrs ago.

Let us know how it sounds.

The laser may well be tired - from memory that's what finished off my old Ki model of similar vintage. If it works, it works.

Well, finally got it out and attached.

It's still got it after 28 years. Sounds great although it might need warning up a bit as it's been on the loft for years and two moves but really pleased.

May be worth opening it up and taking a peek at the tray eject cog. Cream coloured toothed cog. These break down and crumble after a while. Easy fix and new ones on eBay. Great player.

My 17 year old Marantz CD6000 OSE LE still works perfectly but the drawer is getting a bit slow. If you already have it there is no harm in trying it and you can use the DAC in your PM6006.

I miss my CD52 MK2, it was a great player. I bought it new and had it years. It was in great condition and brought me a lot of memories, should never have sold it.

I have a CD6000 OSE now which I got second hand a few years ago and while it sounds just as good, it's not got the same nostalgia factor for me.

i've noticed no draw issues, opens as it did, they always had a slight delay when i got it. nothing to worry about and sounds great with my 6006 uk amp. very pleased i didn't sell it.

Which DAC are you using? I would be tempted to use the one in the 6006UK as things have moved on a bit in that area since the mid 90's.

But the 6006 has a built in one (at least I am pretty sure it does) so you could try that and see if it improves things. It could be a free upgrade :).

But the 6006 has a built in one (at least I am pretty sure it does) so you could try that and see if it improves things. It could be a free upgrade :).
It has a Cirrus Logic 4398, same as in the cd6006. Marantz also use the same DAC in higher tier models such as the sa8005. It is a very good DAC.

Last edited:
Sounds great still, i'd say a little better than it did with my rega brio

Last edited:
I have just brought an immaculate (like mint) Marantz CD52 MK2 for £50 (inc parcelforce) off a lovely chap on pinkfish audio.
I'm using it as a transport with a Chord C co-ax into my naim Superuniti and I have to say playing through a pair of Acoustic energy AE1 classics it sounds superb. Not used it via its phono outs yet (might give it a try) but to add CD Replay to my excellent streamer/Amp it's brilliant (and economic) 👍

Pics below

Attachments

• PXL_20210122_095526143.jpg
    PXL_20210122_095526143.jpg
    360.4 KB · Views: 374
I have just brought an immaculate (like mint) Marantz CD52 MK2 for £50 (inc parcelforce) off a lovely chap on pinkfish audio.
I'm using it as a transport with a Chord C co-ax into my naim Superuniti and I have to say playing through a pair of Acoustic energy AE1 classics it sounds superb. Not used it via its phono outs yet (might give it a try) but to add CD Replay to my excellent streamer/Amp it's brilliant (and economic) 👍
I have a mint SE version somewhere still in its box. It sounds fantastic. The drawer wheel and belt needs replacing as the drawer was sticking. I’ve got the part arriving next week so will try a repair. They’re just too good to give up on.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom