Marantz NR1200 Stereo Receiver Review & Comments

Would it not be useful to add a rating score for the app (HEOS) separately as you have given the amp a 10 for features but complain about some issues with HEOS in the cons. This could be useful for all future equipment reviews that have an app involved in their function as app control becomes increasingly important in the function of equipment.

What do others think?

Would it not be useful to add a rating score for the app (HEOS) separately as you have given the amp a 10 for features but complain about some issues with HEOS in the cons. This could be useful for all future equipment reviews that have an app involved in their function as app control becomes increasingly important in the function of equipment.

What do others think?

Or separate quantity of features and quality of them :)

Would this have any find of loudness/dynamic bass button/option? I love the dynamic eq on Marantz/Denon for music at low listening levels as it’s still very warm and some nice bass. Same with movies, tv shows etc actually.

Anyone know if it can be bridged with a power amp?
Screenshot_20200129-180509.jpg

I have a simple 2.1 setup and unfortunately this product does not support DV HDR. I don't need a 5.1, 7.1 or Atmos AVR, so this would have been ideal if it supported DV HDR.

Would this have any find of loudness/dynamic bass button/option? I love the dynamic eq on Marantz/Denon for music at low listening levels as it’s still very warm and some nice bass. Same with movies, tv shows etc actually.

Interestingly enough, I was just watching some YouTube videos about this receiver...

Indeed, I miss the Loudness contour from equipment in my past; I had it on some Yamahas and Kenwoods, if I'm not mistaken. My current Onkyo hi-fi receiver doesn't have one, nor is there a connection for an EQ via a "tape monitor/loop" (though, oddly enough, their integrated amps include them, though Onkyo is calling it something different nowadays..."Phase Matching Bass"):

1580347402145.png

Anyone know if it can be bridged with a power amp?
Bridging an amp and adding a power amp are two separate things - which one are you asking about?
The amp cannot be bridged but you could add a power amp (pre-outs)

Ah right. Thanks Larkone. Yeah it was just adding a power amp. But I seen from the specs no biamp I guess this is bridging? As I wanted left and right speakers amped separately for better sound.

Bi-amping is not bridging, you can bi-amp with added power amps though gain matching the amps needs to be considered

The left and right speakers are amped separately any way by the amplifier because it has two channels - left and right

You bi-amp to drive HF and LF separately in each speaker - though not all speakers can accept this.

Hi Ed

The Quad Vena 2 Play link in the review doesn't work, are you still working on this review?

Thanks

No, it's in the tank ready to go but won't link correctly until the review goes active.

No, it's in the tank ready to go but won't link correctly until the review goes active.
Ah OK, thanks for the prompt response. Any spoilers before it goes live? I have been auditioning the Vena 2 non-play version and love it so hoping the Play will be as good. I know it has pretty much the same internals but with the addition of Wi-Fi and Ethernet you never know.

Nice review but you are missing a few points.

1. This integrated amp will play DSD files but always converts them to PCM first. Thus, you will never get bitperfect playback of DSD files.

2. The subwoofer integration allows you to only filter output to the subwoofer and not the front speakers. Because of this, the full signal is sent to the front speakers. You are not getting the full benefit of having subwoofers TAKE OVER the low bass and more power is being unnecessarily sent to the front speakers.

3. HEOS has an issue of losing SMB network shares and you have to delete and re-add quite often.

4. The biggest use case for this device is a bedroom system.

2. The subwoofer integration allows you to only filter output to the subwoofer and not the front speakers. Because of this, the full signal is sent to the front speakers. You are not getting the full benefit of having subwoofers TAKE OVER the low bass and more power is being unnecessarily sent to the front speakers.

My Onkyo 8555 is the same way -- has a sub preout but it can't be frequency-adjusted (the main speakers continue to play full range)...

4. The biggest use case for this device is a bedroom system.

That's how I see it too; these slim-line Marantzes are good, basically, for small offices, dorm rooms or bedrooms.

That's how I see it too; these slim-line Marantzes are good, basically, for small offices, dorm rooms or bedrooms.
I don't agree with this. There are plenty of people for whom these Marantz amps are ideal for normal sized rooms. I have the NR1506 which is a 5.1 slim line amp, it has more than enough power to give a good multichannel experience in my average sized room, and the 2 channel performance is not too shabby either. For people who live in semi's and terraced houses so can't play movies and music at silly volumes, and don't want to fill their room with speakers and bulky AV equipment, these amps are a great solution.

Not sure how loud people play their music, but these “Marantz’s” go very loud and I only need turn mine up to 10 or 11 O’clock on the dial and it fills my house with great sound easy. ;)

Not sure how loud people play their music, but these “Marantz’s” go very loud and I only need turn mine up to 10 or 11 O’clock on the dial and it fills my house with great sound easy. ;)
If you have very inefficient speakers that also present 4ohm loads and you sit far away in a large room...

Any clarity on DV compatibility? the review implies it covers everything apart from HDR 10+ however no mention of DV in the review or the user manual. The absence of DV is a deal-breaker for me

From their website. Supports HDR10 and HLG. No DV support. Has 2 checks and an X next to the HDR10/HLG/DV line.

Screen Shot 2020-02-02 at 5.16.39 PM.png

Any thoughts on how this would compare to the Yamaha 803D in terms of sound quality? I guess you'd lose the HDMI ports but gain on room optimisation and better sub management?

So it's a 2-channel amp that will be out of date half way through this year when 8K sources become available?

Nuts.

This immediately shortens its production life (and consequently profitability for Sound United) and indeed its shelf life for retailers.
While people have asked for this sort of amp before, it never sold in big numbers for Arcam (although it was far more expensive) and I doubt it will really trouble the scorers for Marantz.
Sadly, as I'd quite like this sort of concept at home... just not with HEOS though :-(

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom