Marantz NR1510 - anyone got one of these ?

Fe_man2000

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi ,

I am looking to replace my old Sony STR-DH810 AV Amp as its 1080p only and was a low end one at the time. I was looking at the Marantz NR1510 in richersounds for £369 which seems a good price and is the top end of my budget really - I like the Alexa intergration and some of the internet functions its has. Any users of this or mayhe the NR1509 which is similar ?

I know that there is a lot of potential factors like the room size and the speakers but I am not hugely an Audiophile but I have B&W M1 speakers and use it for everything TV, Prime, Netflix, movies, xbox ps4, maybe some music also.

Cheers

Hi ,

I am looking to replace my old Sony STR-DH810 AV Amp as its 1080p only and was a low end one at the time. I was looking at the Marantz NR1510 in richersounds for £369 which seems a good price and is the top end of my budget really - I like the Alexa intergration and some of the internet functions its has. Any users of this or mayhe the NR1509 which is similar ?

I know that there is a lot of potential factors like the room size and the speakers but I am not hugely an Audiophile but I have B&W M1 speakers and use it for everything TV, Prime, Netflix, movies, xbox ps4, maybe some music also.

Cheers
I don't have one but it seems to be OK from reviews
Marantz NR1510 Review (5.2 CH 4K AV Receiver) | Home Media Entertainment

Only thing is your speakers are quite insensitive and so would need more power to drive them than more sensitive speakers which coupled with the 50W output of the Marantz might lead to low in room volumes. By contrast your Sony is showing as 100W.

How important is the Alexa integration? as there are some better specified AVRs than the Marantz for just a bit more money without it. Up your budget to £429 and you could get the likes of the well reviewed Sony STRDN1080.

Sad to say but the Alexa intergration is quite a bonus, we have Alexa controlled room lights and on the TV at the moment and she drives the Sonos in the kitchen so I do like that present.

I don't know much about speakers to be honest, but the M1's are rated at 8 ohms which I though would be OK with that Amp - I have kids so the noise level is never very high at night at least and the lounge is fairly small so I was hoping that would not be issue, the 2019 review of the similar NR1509 on AV forums mentions 8 ohms speakers as being OK

I had no complaints and the Marantz NR1509 would suit any UK sized room with a good set of sensitive 4 or 8 ohm speakers.

Which is waht your saying, how do I find out if the speakers are sensitive 8 ohm or not sensitive - sorry I have no idea on this !

EDIT - OK M1 are listed as 85dB so using a calculator at 50W I get Gain of 17 dB, max level 102dB
Using 100W which my Sony is rated at I 20dB, max 105dB - is this going to make a lot of difference ?

Last edited:
Sad to say but the Alexa intergration is quite a bonus, we have Alexa controlled room lights and on the TV at the moment and she drives the Sonos in the kitchen so I do like that present.

I don't know much about speakers to be honest, but the M1's are rated at 8 ohms which I though would be OK with that Amp - I have kids so the noise level is never very high at night at least and the lounge is fairly small so I was hoping that would not be issue, the 2019 review of the similar NR1509 on AV forums mentions 8 ohms speakers as being OK

Which is waht your saying, how do I find out if the speakers are sensitive 8 ohm or not sensitive - sorry I have no idea on this !

EDIT - OK M1 are listed as 85dB so using a calculator at 50W I get Gain of 17 dB, max level 102dB
Using 100W which my Sony is rated at I 20dB, max 105dB - is this going to make a lot of difference ?
3db doubles the sound intensity....
However that 102db calculated (if correct) is still enough to damage your hearing within a short period of time. CDC shows just 15 minutes at 100db will give possible hearing loss whereas the 105db of your Sony will give you possible hearing loss within 5 minutes What Noises Cause Hearing Loss? | NCEH | CDC
So the Marantz means you can listen to audio for 3 times as long...:smashin: :)

The Marantz 50W is for 2 channel drive. Running all possible 5 speakers (if you have them) the power would reduce down to much less, probably around 35W per channel.

If buying (online) from Richer Sounds they have a good return policy and you should be able to determine if the Marantz 1510 suits your needs within the return period. If your local store is open for demos your speakers are small enough to take along and try in store.

Thanks, I likely will give it a go as its got everything else I want. I will report back once I have got one and tested it out.

Got the NR1510 and so far its really not an issue, sounds great on the M1's. I have test both with dynamic volume off and on light so far. with it Off you are at around 50% volume for with the dymanic enabled (which I like the sound of to be honest) its around 35% volume for normal viewing. I am really loving this amp so far, it seems a lot more I dont know, crisp, cleaner I cannot quite put it into words, a better defined sound than the Sony. And now I can use my 4K TV in 4K - Happy days.

Got the NR1510 and so far its really not an issue, sounds great on the M1's. I have test both with dynamic volume off and on light so far. with it Off you are at around 50% volume for with the dymanic enabled (which I like the sound of to be honest) its around 35% volume for normal viewing. I am really loving this amp so far, it seems a lot more I dont know, crisp, cleaner I cannot quite put it into words, a better defined sound than the Sony. And now I can use my 4K TV in 4K - Happy days.
You didn't hang about then
3.30pm: I'll give it a go
9.30pm: bought, installed and tested
Way to go...:)

time is the fire in which we burn...

Annoyingly I just found out that Fires TV gen 2 wont do 4K or 5.1 on disney plus thought I had something set wrong but Disney plus wont put out dolby digital only DD+ so I need a new firestick 4K if I want it to work. bummer

time is the fire in which we burn...

Annoyingly I just found out that Fires TV gen 2 wont do 4K or 5.1 on disney plus thought I had something set wrong but Disney plus wont put out dolby digital only DD+ so I need a new firestick 4K if I want it to work. bummer

I’ve just upgraded to a Panasonic 65” 4K OLED only to of course discover my Yamaha RX477 can’t handle 4K HDMI, shame as it’s got 6 inputs.
Been looking at the Marantz today but my only concern is it’s not a Dolby Atmos model. I’ve got 15+ year old Bose cube satellite speakers in a 5.1 config in my house. Don’t plan on changing them anytime soon but I presume I’m better having a receiver with Atmos so it can convert it into my 5.1???

Regarding your Fire TV I was in the same situation, only Prime 4K works on it, so Disney+ or AppleTV apps only do 1080 on it.
I’ve gone for the Fire Cube instead of the 4K stick so bypassing my Yamaha receiver, the cube direct into the HDMI 1 on the 4K TV gives me great 4K content from all services. I’m using the HDMI2 arc from TV to Yamaha to get my 5.1 surround but it’s a nightmare to get it to reliably switch to it each time hence why I may need to get a 4K compatible receiver sooner than I really wanted to.

I did think about the lack of Atmos but the reality was I wasnt going to be added any more speakers anytime soon so 5.1 is good enough for the next 5 years or so.

One thing I cannot quite get working is the CEC , it turns the amp on and off when I turn the TV on or off, but when I turn up the volume on the Amp it also turns up the TV speakers which I dont want. Dont seem to be able to have HDMI control turned on and not have both the TV and the AMP volumes linked, I dont want the TV volume to change at all. I thought TV switching turned off would fix it but it has no affect.

Last edited:
I did think about the lack of Atmos but the reality was I wasnt going to be added any more speakers anytime soon so 5.1 is good enough for the next 5 years or so.

If I’m watching something that’s got Atmos or DTX what disadvantage is there? If I had an Atmos receiver would it decode or sound any better on my 5.1 surround speakers at all?

Very tempted with this Marantz though, my tiny Bose cube speakers aren’t going anywhere and still sound great.

none, if you dont have a receiver that is Atmos enabled and you dont have the extra overhead speakers attached, you just get normal 5.1 sound when you play something that has a Atmos track, as I understand it Atmos is an extension to the dolby standard and contains th 5.1 data also. As I have no plans to add speakers on my ceiling I dont need an amp that can decode it.

DTX is different, as I think it can work with your existing 5.1 speakers but I am unsure how good it is without adding more surrounds though, I am not very experienced with this stuff to be honest. If anyone else knows better please chime in.

How you finding it, I really like it. Sounds great - tried some music which is not usually what I use am AV amp for and its was lovely.

How you finding it, I really like it. Sounds great - tried some music which is not usually what I use am AV amp for and its was lovely.

yea it’s really good, I’m noticing a lot better definition and placement of surround sound on movies already. Enjoy!

Something I have noticed is that when watching some pretty old Avi's that use mp3 for the audio the D-MAX feature needs to be turned on, if its off I get a weird reverb like my speakers are out of sync with each other, but with it on light setting it sound great.

One thing I cannot quite get working is the CEC , it turns the amp on and off when I turn the TV on or off, but when I turn up the volume on the Amp it also turns up the TV speakers which I dont want. Dont seem to be able to have HDMI control turned on and not have both the TV and the AMP volumes linked, I dont want the TV volume to change at all. I thought TV switching turned off would fix it but it has no affect.

I have the older NR1605 in my conservatory and CEC works better than in my main (Arcam) system, so it's hopefully just a setting you need to change: I can turn the TV on using the TV remote and all the volume/mute functions control the amp, so I've never needed the Marantz remote since I set it up.

I can have a dig around the menus and see if I can spot the setting, though it will also depend on which TV you have. Mine is a fairly basic Panasonic LCD as it's not really critical viewing with all the light out there, but I just hate tinny TV speakers. :)

Thanks but its resolved , everything CEC is working , what threw me was the TV volume going up as well as the Amps when volume was adjusted, but as no sound comes out of the TV so I dont mind if it goes up and down in sync with the amp.

Thinking of getting one of these to add 5.1 facility to an existing 2-channel Audiolab 6000/B&W DM603 speaker set up. The idea being to use the pre-out feature of the Marantz and allow the Audiolab amp to continue to power the main channels/speakers (presuming this is how the pre-outs on the Marantz will work). This would seem to me to get around the power limitations of the Marantz and just use it to power the centre and rears. I mainly want to listen to 5.1 audio content rather than movies.

Pleased to see the positive feedback on the 1510. I am still torn between this and the new 1711 (in absence of a 1511 model) , but saving £300 with the 1510 seems to be the sensible choice as I have a 5.1 set up.

Pleased to see the positive feedback on the 1510. I am still torn between this and the new 1711 (in absence of a 1511 model) , but saving £300 with the 1510 seems to be the sensible choice as I have a 5.1 set up.

agree, I’m not planning on changing from 5.1 anytime soon so you may as well save a chunk of cash!

Thinking of getting one of these to add 5.1 facility to an existing 2-channel Audiolab 6000/B&W DM603 speaker set up. The idea being to use the pre-out feature of the Marantz and allow the Audiolab amp to continue to power the main channels/speakers (presuming this is how the pre-outs on the Marantz will work). This would seem to me to get around the power limitations of the Marantz and just use it to power the centre and rears. I mainly want to listen to 5.1 audio content rather than movies.

Did you connect as above as that is what I am planning on doing as I have a power amp kicking about doing nothing ?

I tried to buy one at the beginning of August but they were out of stock at Richer Sounds (£399) and more expensive elsewhere so never bothered, however I think I will try them again now as I recall they said something about more stock coming in during latter part of October.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom