Quantcast

Marantz SR 8012, 7012, 6012, 5012 & AV 7704 Owners thread

The Eggman72

Yeah a get the mixed emotions lol, the impending dread of the physical activity combined with the unreasonable excitement of a new toy and then the wondering of how it's going to behave :laugh:
Read a review in homecinema choice they say it struggles at high volume ..have you noticed any fatigue ? they say its no powerhouse..wtfk ?lol

scoobysmiff

Read a review in homecinema choice they say it struggles at high volume ..have you noticed any fatigue ? they say its no powerhouse..wtfk ?lol

I know lol, to get this level of volume in an average uk room it will be too loud I would think. And even then, those that play that loud generally have a power amp as well, which I do and forgot to mention. Emotiva XP5 gen 1 for me lol

The Eggman72

I know lol, to get this level of volume in an average uk room it will be too loud I would think. And even then, those that play that loud generally have a power amp as well, which I do and forgot to mention. Emotiva XP5 gen 1 for me lol
bet it sounds crap... ;) ..you using it on all chanels or front soundstage ?

scoobysmiff

LCR and surrounds, atmos is done by the 7012 I have 5.1.4 so it works well

The Eggman72

Just set it up..WoW its a whole new level... alot more detailed and natural sounding..

scoobysmiff

Just set it up..WoW its a whole new level... alot more detailed and natural sounding..
Good stuff, glad it meets your approval and like I said, a whole new level of great sound :D

The Eggman72

Its gonna take some dialing in for sure but wow !!!

Marantz 227

Standard Member
Not sure if this has been discussed before but last night I noticed the sound on the SR-7012 while watching Apple TV to be a bit flat - checked amp settings and Audyssey had switched off. Not something I had done so switched back on and finished watching movie, then using smart select button on remote switched to Sky TV - checked settings and found it had switched Audyssey off again. Re-set to on and switched back to to Apple TV and checked settings - off again ?? Any advice to why this is happening....

terryh

Hello All,

Just picked up a new to me 7012 that I plan on setting up tomorrow and could do with some initial setup advise please.

Will be a 5.1.2 setup with Kef LS50 fronts, Kef R2c centre, B&W M1 rears and (for now) Onkyo up firing atmos speakers. Sub atm is a B&W ASW608, planning on upgrading this very soon!

TV and music is 50/50. Music streamed via Tidal HiFi.

Not sure if I need to use them now, but have a couple of Cyrus Mblocs I can use to beef up the fronts and centre......any advice here will be greatly appreciated.

Should I set the fronts to large as I dont think my sub will be much of an improvement on the LS50s.

Just looking for a starting point with what I have atm and can play around with settings when I have more time.

Thanks in advance

gibbsy

Hello All,

Just picked up a new to me 7012 that I plan on setting up tomorrow and could do with some initial setup advise please.

Will be a 5.1.2 setup with Kef LS50 fronts, Kef R2c centre, B&W M1 rears and (for now) Onkyo up firing atmos speakers. Sub atm is a B&W ASW608, planning on upgrading this very soon!

Not sure if I need to use them now, but have a couple of Cyrus Mblocs I can use to beef up the fronts and centre......any advice here will be greatly appreciated.

Should I set the fronts to large as I dont think my sub will be much of an improvement on the LS50s.

Just looking for a starting point with what I have atm and can play around with settings when I have more time.

Thanks in advance
With any 5.1.2 you should always have your speakers set to small and the sub engaged. The LS50s don't dig very deep and using the sub will certainly help relieve the receiver of the burden of frequencies below 80hz and allow a little more headroom for the LS50s. As for using extra power then certainly as the KEFs do love a good power supply, I have R300s being driven by a Rega Elicit-R.

Upgrade wise I would keep the M1s as they are very good in the surround position and upgrade the Onkyos to some more substantial upfiring modules, KEF Q50a perhaps. For a sub then BK are affordable and very good indeed.

terryh

With any 5.1.2 you should always have your speakers set to small and the sub engaged. The LS50s don't dig very deep and using the sub will certainly help relieve the receiver of the burden of frequencies below 80hz and allow a little more headroom for the LS50s. As for using extra power then certainly as the KEFs do love a good power supply, I have R300s being driven by a Rega Elicit-R.

Upgrade wise I would keep the M1s as they are very good in the surround position and upgrade the Onkyos to some more substantial upfiring modules, KEF Q50a perhaps. For a sub then BK are affordable and very good indeed.
Thank you. Will take your advise and set to small. I can get a reasonable deal atm on Kef R8a's but, still not cheap, do you think I would see a big enough benefit over Q50a's to make it worth spending the extra? Sub would indeed be a BK, or, possibly SVS. Will be looking for deals on both in the January sales.

Thanks again

dante01

Distinguished Member
Sub would indeed be a BK, or, possibly SVS. Will be looking for deals on both in the January sales.
BK don't sell their products via retailers and you can only buy directly from BK. It is very unlikely that they'd be offering any of their products in a sale at discountd prices given that each sub is built to order so they've no excess stock to clear.

Last edited:

Marantz 227

Standard Member
Hello All,

Thanks in advance
I had same setup with B&W M1s as surrounds and 608 as sub - spent time adjusting crossovers with B&W floor standing main speakers and placement of sub in room. End result was impressive for such a small sub but it did bottom out more than a few times. Upgraded to SVS PB2000 and that improved sound quality of the complete system. I would recommend getting quality sub before spending elsewhere. Was massive upgrade for me.

terryh

BK don't sell their products via retailers and you can only buy directly from BK. It is very unlikely that they'd be offering any of their products in a sale at discountd prices given that each sub is built to order so they've no excess stock to clear.
Thank you, useful to know 👍🙂

terryh

I had same setup with B&W M1s as surrounds and 608 as sub - spent time adjusting crossovers with B&W floor standing main speakers and placement of sub in room. End result was impressive for such a small sub but it did bottom out more than a few times. Upgraded to SVS PB2000 and that improved sound quality of the complete system. I would recommend getting quality sub before spending elsewhere. Was massive upgrade for me.
Good to know the 608 can perform okay with a bit of tweaking. My room isn't big enough to play around with placement, I only have the option of 2 locations for a sub and, where it is now does seems to work well with my current system. Again, because of the size of the room, I cant have anything as big as the SVS PB2000, the 1000 is about as large as my wife would be happy with. Is there a particular reason you opted for a ported sub over a sealed? I'm not sure, but would a sealed sub be less directional than a ported?

Edit: just read up on the pros and cons of sealed vs ported, good article on SVS website so now understand. Its definitely going to have to be a sealed sub for me due to having to keep the enclosure smaller. Ideally not much more than 350mm high. Will need to research and look for advice of what will work best for me and go from there. BK are definitely great value when comparing to SVS, dont mind spending the extra to get better performance. REL also seem well respected and are good value. Maybe this is the wrong thread for this question but kept it here as it seemed relative to my initial query.

Last edited:

Marantz 227

Standard Member
Good to know the 608 can perform okay with a bit of tweaking. My room isn't big enough to play around with placement, I only have the option of 2 locations for a sub and, where it is now does seems to work well with my current system. Again, because of the size of the room, I cant have anything as big as the SVS PB2000, the 1000 is about as large as my wife would be happy with. Is there a particular reason you opted for a ported sub over a sealed? I'm not sure, but would a sealed sub be less directional than a ported?
The Marantz SR-7012 has two sub outputs so you could purchase a second 608 and run two subs. Would give you more volume in room with two. I was keen on the sealed SB2000 as I listen to a lot of music SACDs / vinyl / streaming as well as watching movies and Netflix etc. spent some time reading online about best speaker / sub settings then went into dealer and had a listen - for me the ported sounded like it had more weight to the bass, I felt it more. Glad I upgraded the sub as I was looking at new front speakers but not anymore....

Kamin99

So I got my SR8012 delivered a few days ago and I set it up as 5.1.4 (4 SVS Elevation speakers) which are brilliant if anyone is considering down-firing speakers. they are placed as front height and rear height. My question is under Amp Assignment section in the setup, which setup to choose? should I just keep it as 11.1 or choose another assignment it is a bit confusing hoping to find an answer from you guys
many thanks

DodgeTheViper

Thats were mine is set to and I also have 5.1.4

Kamin99

brilliant so I will leave at 11.1 Amp assignment , it probably gives it a bit of headroom
one more thing When I press info on the Marantz, it replaces what source I am watching with black screen with the info. My old Yamaha DSP-A1 used to display the info on top of the source picture that is playing thus not interrupting the source like the SR8012, is there a way to get it to do this
thanks

Kamin99

Ok I read it is not possible to get it over HDR , as I ca see it superimposed over Sky

Distinguished Member
Ok I read it is not possible to get it over HDR , as I ca see it superimposed over Sky
I have an older SR7010 and the info screen is able to be displayed over a HDR source, I'd be very surprised if they've removed this ability. Check your video settings (when watching a HDR source) are set correctly. From (drunken) memory: i/p ON, video conversion OFF should do it.

Kamin99

thanks, I tried that and still no Joy, pretty annoying of Marantz if you ask me!

Kamin99

Oh, Bummer! I am mainly using Apple Tv Dolby Vision and HDR

dante01

Distinguished Member
There's not realy much need for onscreen graphics. They can be more of a distraction as opposed to being of any real use. THey are not eessential and can be done without.

Last edited:

Kamin99

Oh, I agree but I like to watch out for very high volumes sometimes pushed up by kids and want to be aware of the level before I play a movie

joust

Has anyone seen any decent offers on these in Boxing Day sales?

chownsie79

Hi,

The Marantz 7012 is my first AVR. I've not yet set it up properly, I need to get an extension cable to use the Audessey device.

My set up is 7.1.4, I bought the 7012 as it can process 11 channels but it appears that it cannot do 11 channels for Atmos?

I'm unsure how I should set it up in general for nextflix movies, I've tried All Zone Stereo, Dolby Surround and Multi Channel 7.1. Can anyone with experience help please?

dante01

Distinguished Member
My set up is 7.1.4, I bought the 7012 as it can process 11 channels but it appears that it cannot do 11 channels for Atmos?
It can do 7.1.4, but you'll have to add 2 channels of external amplification in order to facilitate this.

The receiver can process 11 channels, but only includes 9 channels of integrated amplification. If wanting an 11 channel 7.1.4 setup then you'd need 2 of the 11 channels to be amplified via an external 2 channel amplifier. You'd connect this amp to the AV receiver using its front left and right channel or its rear height channel pre outs. You'd then configure its amp assignments accordingly.

I'm unsure how I should set it up in general for nextflix movies, I've tried All Zone Stereo, Dolby Surround and Multi Channel 7.1. Can anyone with experience help please?
It depends upon the soundtrack the Netflix content includes? If Atmos in nature then you'd not need any additional upmixing. If 5.1 in nature then I'd suggest you apply Dolby Surround or Neural:X upmixing in order to create pseudio 3D immersive audio and utilise all of your speakers. All Netflix content is encoded with 5.1 DD+ with some of the soundtracks also inclusive of Atmos metadata. Don't bother applying any additional processing relative to the content inclusive of Atmos and maybe use Dolby Surround or Neural:X in conjunction with the non Atmos audio?

Last edited:

Diagnosticz

I am wondering if either a 7012 or 7013 and adding dedicated stereo amplifier with av bypass would be a better option than a 8012 ? I did have an 8012 and it was great sounding amp. But i need to improve stereo as i listen to music a lot.

I Currently have a Anthem 720 which does not have a good stereo performance

Your opinions would be helpful

A little off topic does a Chromecast audio have its own wifi connection if a connect the Chromecast to a amplifier without wifi or an Ethernet ?

Last edited: