Marantz SR 8012, 7012, 6012, 5012 & AV 7704 Owners thread

petetherock

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Creating this new thread as the new models come online.
Some info is already on the UK website and also in the US sites:
Marantz UK | SR7012

The AVS site has some info too:
*Official* Marantz 2017 NR1508/1608, SR5012/6012/7012 owner's thread - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Just looking at the 7012, the changes are incremental, rather than monumental..

Key Features
  • 9.2 channel AV Receiver with 200 W per channel
  • 4K/60 Hz full-rate pass-through, 4:4:4 color resolution, HDR, BT.2020 , Dolby Vision and HLG (Hybrid Log Gamma) pass-through
  • 8 HDMI inputs (incl. 1 front) with full HDCP 2.2 support; 3 HDMI outputs (incl. Zone 2)
  • eARC (Enhanced Audio Return Channel) support via firmware update
  • Analogue to HDMI conversion and SD to HD/4K Upscaling
  • Dolby Atmos (up to 7.1.4 with an external 2ch amplifier), DTS:X™, and Auro-3D built-in
  • Built-in Wi-Fi with 2.4GHz/5GHz dual band support
  • Built-in HEOS Wireless Multi-Room Audio Technology
  • AirPlay, Bluetooth, Internet Radio, Spotify Connect, TIDAL, Deezer and more
  • DSD (2.8/5.6MHz), FLAC, ALAC and WAV support
  • Audyssey MultEQ XT32, LFC, Sub EQ HT, Dynamic Volume and Dynamic EQ
  • Colour-coded speaker terminals, Setup Assistant, Marantz 2016 AVR Remote App
  • Intelligent ECO mode with off/on/auto setting
  • Advanced multiroom options; 11.2-channel processing with pre-outs for all channels; RS232 Control; Crestron Connected
If you already posses a 7.1.4 amp like it's predecessors, the urge to upgrade isn't huge..
Heos, Auro and some minor changes in DAC are what we can expect..

Likewise for the 6012:
Marantz UK | SR6012
Key Features
  • 9.2 channel AV Receiver with 185 W per channel > Enough power to fill big rooms with renowned Marantz sound
  • 4K/60 Hz full-rate pass-through, 4:4:4 color resolution, HDR, BT.2020 , Dolby Vision and HLG (Hybrid Log Gamma) pass-through> Latest HDMI standard for future-proof compatibility
  • 8 HDMI inputs (incl. 1 front) with full HDCP 2.2 support; 3 HDMI outputs (inc Zone 2) > Extended connectivity: ready to feed a TV and projector in parallel, and even a display in a second room
  • eARC (Enhanced Audio Return Channel) support via firmware update > eARC supports the most advanced audio formats such as Dolby Atmos and DTS:X via single HDMI connection between AVRs and compatible TVs
  • Analogue to HDMI conversion and SD to HD/4K Upscaling > HD video quality from existing DVDs or analogue sources
  • Dolby Atmos (up to 7.1.4 with an external 2ch amplifier), and DTS:X™ > Immersive 3D sound with effects from overhead
  • Built-in Wi-Fi with 2.4GHz/5GHz dual band support > Improved network stability especially in Crowded-crowded homes
  • Built-in HEOS Wireless Multi-Room Audio Technology > Integrated with other HEOS devices for whole-house entertainment
  • AirPlay, Bluetooth, Internet Radio, Spotify Connect, Pandora, SiriusXM, Napster, Amazon Music, TIDAL, Deezer and more > Access to almost unlimited online music sources
  • DSD (2.8/5.6MHz), FLAC, ALAC and WAV support > High Resolution audio streaming, with gapless playback
  • Audyssey MultEQ XT32, LFC, Sub EQ HT, Dynamic Volume and Dynamic EQ > Delivering the ultimate optimization and equalization for your room
  • Color-coded speaker terminals, Setup Assistant, Marantz 2016 AVR Remote App > Hassle-free installation, setup and operation
  • Intelligent ECO mode with off/on/auto setting > Energy-conscious without compromising on performance
  • Advanced multiroom options; 11.2-channel processing with pre-outs for all channels; RS232 Control; Crestron Connected > Audio and video around the home; expandable surround; ready for 3rd Party Home Automation systems

Raise up your hand if you think that the new series is a bit of a much ado about not much:
Marantz Unveils SR7012, SR8012 AV Receivers and AV7704 Processor with Alexa Skill
Alexa is the selling point?

However the 8012 remains a piece de resistance..

It's clear by the massive toroidal power supply, dual heatsinks, and monobloc amplifier construction that Marantz is returning to its roots in emphasis in "sound quality first" in AV receivers. We say a decline lately in AV receiver power supplies since the introduction of Atmos. Unlike the other models in the Marantz line, the SR8012 does NOT share a common architecture to sister company Denon counterparts. Instead, this appears to be a completely new design exclusive to Marantz at this time. Seeing the build quality of the SR8012 restores our faith that solid amplification isn't dead in AV receivers. This looks like one tasty amp section that we can't wait to get on our bench for testing.

Yes, the SR8012 is looking tasty. We have a few on order and will have one to add to the demo list as soon as it shows a face. Ill also be writing a review on it for the site.

Is there any reason to think the 8012 is going to sound any different to well even the 4311, 4520, 7200, 7010,7011,12 - i.e. anything at from d&m since audessy xt32 was introduced forever ago?
Ok yes HDAM but that been in recent marantz offerings, yes it's toroidal but if u use an external amp for front 3 then pffft. Just feels like same old thing - audessy is so long in the tooth. The app might add some ability to custom tailor the sound but I thought we'd see a real departure from the same thing we have had since what 2010,11? Am I alone in thinking this?

I think the 8012 has monoblock amps like the Denon 6300/6400 and an extra 2 amps compared to 7010/11/12. If you use all or part external amps then it may not be all that. I guess it’s just a nice one box solution Denon have had for a few years with the Marantz twist.

I see I'm not alone but am one of 2 he he....
I really feel like audessy has made zero progress in 3-4 years save for ye olde app
Was thinking of switching to Arcam but I use Dolby volume so extensively for night listening

I see I'm not alone but am one of 2 he he....
I really feel like audessy has made zero progress in 3-4 years save for ye olde app
Was thinking of switching to Arcam but I use Dolby volume so extensively for night listening
Hmm, I've never heard of Dolby Volume. I've just googled it and it sounds exactly like something I need. I so often sit with remote in hand ramping volume down and up. Shows like Hawaii Five O is so painful. So not all new receivers have this feature?

Wouldn't know ratio that have it vs don't but in some case, even those that have it like Arcam 390,550,850 can NOT deploy while Dirac is operational

Dolby Dynamic Volume is simply processing applied to the audio that compresses the dynamic range relative to reference volume in order to make quieter aspects more audible at lower listening levels (not exactly how Audyssey address this issue, but this is the gist of it). Most receivers include similar processing options even if they do not uinclude Audussey room EQ or Dynamic Volume.

Dolby Dynamic Volume is simply processing applied to the audio that compresses the dynamic range relative to reference volume in order to make quieter aspects more audible at lower listening levels (not exactly how Audyssey address this issue, but this is the gist of it). Most receivers include similar processing options even if they do not uinclude Audussey room EQ or Dynamic Volume.
Thanks. I've seen the Denon and Marantz have the Audessey equivalent, but the Onkyo units don't (at least I can't find any reference).

Thanks. I've seen the Denon and Marantz have the Audessey equivalent, but the Onkyo units don't (at least I can't find any reference).

Onkyo dropped Audyssey several years back in an effort to cut costs. THey replaced Audyssey room EQ correction with their own, somewhat sub standard AccuEQ room EQ correction and calibration system. I've no idea as to what form of "Night Mode" or similar they replaced Dynamic Volume with?

EDIT

ONkyo include what they term a "Late Night Function"

Late Night:
Make small sounds easily heard. It is useful when you need to reduce the volume while watching a movie late night. You can enjoy the effect only when playing Dolby series and DTS series input signals.

• The setting cannot be used in the following cases. – If "Loudness Management" is set to "Off" when

playing Dolby Digital Plus or Dolby TrueHD
– When the input signal is DTS:X and "Dialog Control"

is other than 0 dB

This seems rather limited though when compared to Audyssey dynamic Volume which can be applied to any audio format.

If circumstances are such that you need it - like me for night listening or if neighbours are home - the difference it makes to the sound can be phenomenal. In my room it's the difference between insipid lifeless sound at -45db and very pleasing sound at -45db

EDIT

ONkyo include what they term a "Late Night Function"

This seems rather limited though when compared to Audyssey dynamic Volume which can be applied to any audio format.

Thanks for the info.,that was what I was looking for. Yes I read that it was just one level as well. Their manuals are so bad I wasn't sure if they just didn't go into details.

From all accounts so far in other forums, the 8012 will be using the HDMI 2.0b - like it's brethen from the 2017 series.
So for current owners of the x011 and x010 series, the impetus to upgrade is a lot less.
It also uses a similar DACs and it's main draw is the toroidal transformer, plus the extra two channels. Unlike the Denon 8500, it's ability to process more channels and have separate setups for different sound formats seems to be limited..
The concept of this amp is still very tempting.
Take choice parts like the HDAM modules, Caps and Toroidal from similar models, ala the PM 11 S3, using similar processing chips ala SHARC and DACs from what has been in use already and slap on a higher price tag... let's see how much it costs in the shops....

From all accounts so far in other forums, the 8012 will be using the HDMI 2.0b - like it's brethen from the 2017 series.
So for current owners of the x011 and x010 series, the impetus to upgrade is a lot less.
It also uses a similar DACs and it's main draw is the toroidal transformer, plus the extra two channels. Unlike the Denon 8500, it's ability to process more channels and have separate setups for different sound formats seems to be limited..
The concept of this amp is still very tempting.
Take choice parts like the HDAM modules, Caps and Toroidal from similar models, ala the PM 11 S3, using similar processing chips ala SHARC and DACs from what has been in use already and slap on a higher price tag... let's see how much it costs in the shops....
So,in your opinion, Denon 8500 is better than 8012?!

So,in your opinion, Denon 8500 is better than 8012?!
That depends on a few factors:
HT vs music
How many channels do you need and is switching important
How much power do you need
And perhaps most important, how deep is your pocket.. the 8500 will cost more than the 8012, and I don't think it's a marginal difference.

For a lot less than both of them, the 7012 does most of what the two can handle, and if you need the extra two channels, there are other options. Even if you add a nice stereo amp with a HT bypass option like the PM 8005, it will still be more cost effective.

In fact if there are BNIB run out sets of the 7011, they may be the best value ...

So YMMV..

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom