Marantz SR 8012, 7012, 6012, 5012 & AV 7704 Owners thread

Hi all,

I've been enjoying my 7012 for about 6 months now. Great value receiver.

Anyways, I ran into an issue. The unit runs hot. This is a well known "issue". The problem is that lately, it stays hot when I turn the unit off. It used to cool down when off but now it doesn't. It stays hot all the time.

To make things more complicated, this issue has arisen at the same time that my external amp (a NAD m25 which is connected using a trigger) does not go off either when I turn the 7012 off. Before, it did turn off (and on) no problem using the trigger.

Lastly, when I turn the Marantz off, it does appear to be off. (all lights are off). It just stays hot.

Any ideas on what to do?

thanks.

Do you mean it stays hot for hours or permanently when turned off if so something is amiss. Unplug from the mains for an hour and see if that helps.

Have they done away with ip control on the newer models? I can access my 7010 through a Web browser by navigating to its internal ip address, or is @panman40 asking about something else?

Both Denon and Marantz removed this ability some time ago and no longer provide an web IP interface or access via a web browser.

Hi all,

I've been enjoying my 7012 for about 6 months now. Great value receiver.

Anyways, I ran into an issue. The unit runs hot. This is a well known "issue". The problem is that lately, it stays hot when I turn the unit off. It used to cool down when off but now it doesn't. It stays hot all the time.

To make things more complicated, this issue has arisen at the same time that my external amp (a NAD m25 which is connected using a trigger) does not go off either when I turn the 7012 off. Before, it did turn off (and on) no problem using the trigger.

Lastly, when I turn the Marantz off, it does appear to be off. (all lights are off). It just stays hot.

Any ideas on what to do?

thanks.
You haven't accidentally switched zone 2/3 on have you? Also check your general settings menu as there's a toggle in here for the trigger output

That's a shame as its quite handy when calibrating :(

Yeah.

They didn't really explain why they removed it either. I'd assume it was a cost cutting excercise that resulted in them not needing to commit themselves to developing it or the additional man hours needed for maintaining it?

Yamaha receivers still include this though.

Have they done away with ip control on the newer models? I can access my 7010 through a Web browser by navigating to its internal ip address, or is @panman40 asking about something else?

It's already been answered above. It can still be accessed via it's IP but it's only for menu settings etc.

Do you mean it stays hot for hours or permanently when turned off if so something is amiss. Unplug from the mains for an hour and see if that helps.

That is correct. It stays hot permanently. I unplug it several times and it stays hot every time. It's been going on for about a month now. So, right now, when not in use I unplug it....

It can still be accessed via it's IP but it's only for menu settings etc.
Possibly crossed wires. This is the screen i was thinking of.
Untitled.png

Is this what's available on the current models or has it's functionality been reduced?

Possibly crossed wires. This is the screen i was thinking of.
View attachment 1188267
Is this what's available on the current models or has it's functionality been reduced?

Hi Colin, I haven’t checked for that, I will have a look this week. Thanks,

Martin.

Does anyone with a marantz and Kef speakers watch Peaky Blinders via sky ?

Does anyone with a marantz and Kef speakers watch Peaky Blinders via sky ?
Yes, Marantz 7012 and KEF R700'S as mains and a pair of R300s for the centre. No problem for me

Yes, Marantz 7012 and KEF R700'S as mains and a pair of R300s for the centre. No problem for me

That’s interesting using a pair for a centre, how have you wired that up and what’s it like compared to a normal centre ?.

That’s interesting using a pair for a centre, how have you wired that up and what’s it like compared to a normal centre ?.
I wired them in parallel so that the amp (Emotiva XPA-5) see's 4 ohms and in all fairness, I can't tell the difference. I have put them on the sides with the UniQ on the inside and it works well enough for me not to be bothered with it or considering changing it. If I could have brought a white R600c I would have done but when these speakers were selling cheap last year I took a gamble on doing this as I needed/wanted white etc. I'm happy with it.

For those of you that use an SR7012 with floor standers and a sub... how are you setting up your system?

I've always used bookshelf speakers and thus any room correction has seen them as 'Small'. However, the lack of subwoofer when playing back 2 channel music is not ideal. I'm considering floor standers next but am puzzled as to where to set the crossover to cover both scenarios.... obviously I want the LCR doing as little bass as possible for movies as I have a good sub... but I'd like the full range for music.

Is there some config I can use that I'm unaware of?

For those of you that use an SR7012 with floor standers and a sub... how are you setting up your system?

I've always used bookshelf speakers and thus any room correction has seen them as 'Small'. However, the lack of subwoofer when playing back 2 channel music is not ideal. I'm considering floor standers next but am puzzled as to where to set the crossover to cover both scenarios.... obviously I want the LCR doing as little bass as possible for movies as I have a good sub... but I'd like the full range for music.

This applies to any receiver that has integral bass management where an active subwoofer is included within the setup. Set all speakers as being SMALL irrespective of their size or indeed their rated capabilities. You'd also be recommmended to set the crossovers no lower than 80Hz. There's really nothing to be gained by setting the crossovers any lower than this, but if wanting to bypass the bass management and the room EQ correction with stereo sources then use the PURE DIRECT mode.

You may find this article of interest:
AV Receiver Bass Management Basics – Settings Made Simple

Awesome, always wondered what that button did.... when i only owned satellite speakers anyway, it made bugger all difference!

Thanks you.

Floorstanders may give you a little more bass, but as dante01 has pointed out you should still set them to small. Reading the article will explain more. For stereo music you could use pure direct with floorstanders which will treat the speakers as being large and give them full range. With pure direct the sub will be ignored.

You have not mentioned what sub you have and those from BK or REL have a high level neutrik input as well as LFE and in pure direct the high level input could be used to underpin the bass. Pure direct may give you slightly better stereo performance but it may still be better to use the stereo mode on the receiver which will use the sub.

There is also another option with the SR7012 that may be of interest. The receiver can be configured with different options for bass management relative to 2 channel stereo sources. You can configure the receiver's "2CH PLAYBACK" settings differently to how the receiver is configured for use with multichannel surround sources . You can set your front speakers size differently within these configurations than it would be set in the main configurations. You can even designate a different crossover to use relative to 2ch audio as would be used when dealing with multichannel sources or if applying upmixing. You'll find more on the 2CH PLAYBACK settings on page 241 to 243 of the owners manual.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom