Marantz SR 8012, 7012, 6012, 5012 & AV 7704 Owners thread

What’s the volts out from the front USB port on a 7012 and is it powered full time or just out of standby ?.

My Marantz AV7704 (UK) just updated itself - any ideas what the new update about?

The UK Marantz website doesn't show anything since the previous update.

My 7013 did an update last weekend that is not listed yet, I gather it was to enable the Free Spotify Connect to work as before that it said it had to be a Premium account.

There is also another option with the SR7012 that may be of interest. The receiver can be configured with different options for bass management relative to 2 channel stereo sources. You can configure the receiver's "2CH PLAYBACK" settings differently to how the receiver is configured for use with multichannel surround sources . You can set your front speakers size differently within these configurations than it would be set in the main configurations. You can even designate a different crossover to use relative to 2ch audio as would be used when dealing with multichannel sources or if applying upmixing. You'll find more on the 2CH PLAYBACK settings on page 241 to 243 of the owners manual.
Thanks @dante01 - what I don't quite get is how to use 2 channel. Is it Direct or Pure Direct?

Edit - just read @gibbsy post which I think answers this..... thanks.

Thanks @dante01 - what I don't quite get is how to use 2 channel. Is it Direct or Pure Direct?

Edit - just read @gibbsy post which I think answers this..... thanks.

The 2ch Playback configurations are automatically engaged by the receiver while ever it detects the incoming audio to be 2 channel in nature in instances where you are not aplying any upmixing to it. The configurations would also apply if you were to manually set the receiver to its STEREO mode.

Last edited:
Just setup a new 8012 earlier my first Av receiver it Replaced a 8802A and Emotiva XPA-7.

It is actually not to far off from my previous setup, which surprised me, especially with music which is important to me. I was almost certain I would end up needing atleast a dedicated 2 channel power amp for music. I still have the Emotiva so will get that hooked up just to get a comparison.

Also very impressed with how dynamic it is with movies. It has plenty of power with control and great details. Very happy with it so far I am sure it will improve once its nicely run in

Just one complaint it runs very hot its dispersing more heat from the left heat sink.

Just one issue I cant get the TV remote to control the Amp volume, it was fine with the 8802A. ARC is working as is HDMI control the amp turns on and off with the TV. Just cant get the volume to work. Any Idea guys?

Last edited:
^^^ Glad to hear that you are happy with 8012, same as me with my 7013. Just interested to know why you decided on SR8012 instead of AV8805?

Talking about software updates. I had one a couple of weeks ago and one just now - 5461-9141-8302-0125

I have the SR7012 and can't find details of what was in it. There's no screen to tell you what's changed and I looked on the website and the last update mentioned there was around April time

I am stil tying to sort ARC on the 8012 i am getting sound with all content inc Atmos from Netflix but am unable to control the amp volume from the LG oled remote. Also when I switch to optical on the tv it switches back to HDMI ARC. Just strange behaviour all was fine on the previous 8802A

Question to those with 8012's - are they good enough on their own to run the speaker setup I have in my sig?

Joust

Question to those with 8012's - are they good enough on their own to run the speaker setup I have in my sig?

Joust

The 8012 will run them yes, they'll sound great (I've heard broadly the same system run from a 7012). You will however benefit from more power, M&K will typically take as much as you can throw at them; they're not the most efficient speakers and thus thrive on proper grunt.

I'm sure you won't be disappointed with the performance, but you'd see benefit to a power amp.. even if just for the 150 models (you could power the M4T and Ci160's from the internal amp).

A 7012 plus a decent 5 channel power amp probably wouldn't be too different in price to an 8012 but would run your system better IMO.

Any benefit in taking a 701x vs a 601x if I retain an amp that runs the front 5?

Any benefit in taking a 701x vs a 601x if I retain an amp that runs the front 5?

You'd have more power available to any other speakers being powered by the SR701x compared to the SR601x. Other than this, the room EQ and audio processing are basically the same.

I guess it also depends upon whether you want Auro 3D or not? Only the SR701x model will include this.

It should be noted that the SR701x includes a full sized display concealed under the front fascia flap while the SR601x doesn't.

TBH, not bothered about Auro3D.......is the processing the same from 8012 down to 6013?

TBH, not bothered about Auro3D.......is the processing the same from 8012 down to 6013?

To tell you the truth, it is difficult to appraise given the lack of information available about the actual processor and or DACs both Denon and Marantz employ onboard different models. There's technicalluy no reason why the higher tier models would require more processing power though, not unless Auro 3D needs it?

Processing will be the same but quality of amplification and a few toys is better on the 701x and upwards.

If you hang on a month or so, you'll likely find the street price of the 7013 dropping to sub £1k (It often ends up at £849 from Peter Tyson) combine that with a Nord or Iota power amp (both seem fairly cost effective and get good reviews) and you're not far off the price of the 8012. Or to match the style the MM7055, but that's a bit less powerful!

Not sure about 701x vs 601x but the 8012 is a class AB with a 780 watt toroidal power supply, a more solid rigid construction, higer grade capacitors. stronger copper chassis that you see on the higher end products,

I have had the 8012 for a week now and it's very impressive with both movies and Music. coming from 8802A and Emotiva XPA-7 Gen 3 combo. The 8012 gets close so that tells toy how good this amp performs

Last edited:
The analogue amplification onboard the AVR wouldn't beneft the audio processing though so why would spending more on the 8012 benefit anyone wishing to simply use it as a pre amp and processor in conjunction with external amplification? You'd get the same pre/pro performance from the SR6012.

@ Dante Surely the 8012 has a more cleaner output from the pre outs with less distortion THD I think its measured in. ? I remember Audioholics comparing the denon 6400 with the 8012 in a detailed benchtest and the 8012 had a cleaner less distorted output if that makes a audioable difference I do not know? the reviewer did say the 8012 sounded more detailed

Last edited:
I believe they tested the output relative to powering speakers using the AVR's own internal amplification? The audio signal isn't goimg via the amplification modules if being output via the pre outs so tests carried out relative to the amplification modules cannot be used to appraise the performance relative to the pre outs. If it is simply a matter of the signal paths resulting in better audio and lower noise then why aren't they employing something as simple as this to improve the performance of all their products?

I'd suspect that any differences will be marginal considering the difference in price?

If using the same DACs and processing as the lesser models then what differenciates the signal paths onboard the 8012 post DAC to the pre outs when compared to the lower tier models in order to make its performance superior?

Last edited:
I read some negative reviews on the Audyssey app Is it worth the purchase? Would i need a laptop near the Amp is self?

It operates over WiFi

I bought it some months ago and gave it a go. Unfortunately I was over the time limit to get a refund.

You don't need a laptop or a PC, but you would need an Android or iOS device to run the app on.

This app will allow you to:
  • View the speaker detection results, to check correct installation
  • View before and after results of the Audyssey calibration, making it easy to identify room problems
  • Edit the Audyssey target curve for each channel pair to suit your tastes
  • Adjust the overall EQ frequency rolloff for each channel pair
  • Switch between 2 high frequency rolloff target curves
  • Enable/Disable midrange compensation to make the sound brighter or smoother
  • Save and load calibration results

You don't need a laptop or a PC, but you would need an Android or iOS device to run the app on.

I tend turn everything off anyway and run as native as possible beside room correction which I tweak to taste.

I ran Audyssey when I get in from from work and it made a big difference but not enough for me to be happy with it. I then attached the PA and again another step toward to what I wanted to hear, it was clear the extra power of Emotiva was present.

It’s also clear to hear that the signal isn’t anywhere near as clean as it is with the 7704. Just switching to pure direct and listening to music makes that very evident.

And the remote is properly crap!!
I know it's an older post as I just started reading through the thread. Having just setup a 8012 last week.

Your findings regarding using a dedicated Processor being more of a cleaner sound is something that I also find to be true. I am coming from a 8802A and Emotiva XPA-7 combo. I cant not speak for the 6012 as a processor but I have experimented using the 8012 as a processor with Emo XPA-7 and it was impressive, but I found the 8802A to be more detailed and cleaner like you mentioned with the 7704.

Mybe the 8012 needs a few more hours to fully open up. I don't know as it is the flagship and based on marantz audiophile gear.
I think these av receivers need to have a processor mode only completely turning off the power section for someone to bench test the theory accurately.

Can someone explain why audeseey is greyed out on the 8012 in the audio setting . Also audeseey keeps setting sub distance to 5 metres instead of 3 metres this is after 5 Audesey runs. I did change put a new amp board into a XTZ 12.17 yesterday and I have to really turn the sun volume down to get the sw match at 75db but in general I have to turn the sub volume down to 8 o'clock where as before I had it around 10 o clock I have no idea what is going on here

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom