Marantz SR 8012, 7012, 6012, 5012 & AV 7704 Owners thread

Thankyou sir...a bit of a drive for it..still has warranty left...a different sound ? or a vast improvement ?
For me it was a vast improvement but I like the Marantz sound, it's a signature all of it's own. The 83 for me after the Marantz sounded far to clinical, the Marantz is much warmer and more immersive

yeah the Lx83 is awesome plenty of muscle and bite to it...ive sold that for £250 so winner winner....whats atmos like on it ? was it an easy switch over ? or a task and half lol...

yeah the Lx83 is awesome plenty of muscle and bite to it...ive sold that for £250 so winner winner....whats atmos like on it ? was it an easy switch over ? or a task and half lol...
Yeah, not saying the 83 is a bad amp because it's not, the 7012 though made everything sound better to my ears in my room. Atmos was easy, just set speaker set up in the menu and connect the speakers, run audysey and away you go almost....

Mines a full day swap out..its in a custom made cabinet ..bwwwah not looking forward to it ..but I am if you get me ;)

Yeah a get the mixed emotions lol, the impending dread of the physical activity combined with the unreasonable excitement of a new toy and then the wondering of how it's going to behave :laugh:

Yeah a get the mixed emotions lol, the impending dread of the physical activity combined with the unreasonable excitement of a new toy and then the wondering of how it's going to behave :laugh:
Read a review in homecinema choice they say it struggles at high volume ..have you noticed any fatigue ? they say its no powerhouse..wtfk ?lol

Read a review in homecinema choice they say it struggles at high volume ..have you noticed any fatigue ? they say its no powerhouse..wtfk ?lol

I know lol, to get this level of volume in an average uk room it will be too loud I would think. And even then, those that play that loud generally have a power amp as well, which I do and forgot to mention. Emotiva XP5 gen 1 for me lol

I know lol, to get this level of volume in an average uk room it will be too loud I would think. And even then, those that play that loud generally have a power amp as well, which I do and forgot to mention. Emotiva XP5 gen 1 for me lol
bet it sounds crap... ;) ..you using it on all chanels or front soundstage ?

LCR and surrounds, atmos is done by the 7012 I have 5.1.4 so it works well

Just set it up..WoW its a whole new level... alot more detailed and natural sounding..

Just set it up..WoW its a whole new level... alot more detailed and natural sounding..
Good stuff, glad it meets your approval and like I said, a whole new level of great sound :D

Its gonna take some dialing in for sure but wow !!!

Not sure if this has been discussed before but last night I noticed the sound on the SR-7012 while watching Apple TV to be a bit flat - checked amp settings and Audyssey had switched off. Not something I had done so switched back on and finished watching movie, then using smart select button on remote switched to Sky TV - checked settings and found it had switched Audyssey off again. Re-set to on and switched back to to Apple TV and checked settings - off again ?? Any advice to why this is happening....

Hello All,

Just picked up a new to me 7012 that I plan on setting up tomorrow and could do with some initial setup advise please.

Will be a 5.1.2 setup with Kef LS50 fronts, Kef R2c centre, B&W M1 rears and (for now) Onkyo up firing atmos speakers. Sub atm is a B&W ASW608, planning on upgrading this very soon!

TV and music is 50/50. Music streamed via Tidal HiFi.

Not sure if I need to use them now, but have a couple of Cyrus Mblocs I can use to beef up the fronts and centre......any advice here will be greatly appreciated.

Should I set the fronts to large as I dont think my sub will be much of an improvement on the LS50s.

Just looking for a starting point with what I have atm and can play around with settings when I have more time.

Thanks in advance

Hello All,

Just picked up a new to me 7012 that I plan on setting up tomorrow and could do with some initial setup advise please.

Will be a 5.1.2 setup with Kef LS50 fronts, Kef R2c centre, B&W M1 rears and (for now) Onkyo up firing atmos speakers. Sub atm is a B&W ASW608, planning on upgrading this very soon!

Not sure if I need to use them now, but have a couple of Cyrus Mblocs I can use to beef up the fronts and centre......any advice here will be greatly appreciated.

Should I set the fronts to large as I dont think my sub will be much of an improvement on the LS50s.

Just looking for a starting point with what I have atm and can play around with settings when I have more time.

Thanks in advance
With any 5.1.2 you should always have your speakers set to small and the sub engaged. The LS50s don't dig very deep and using the sub will certainly help relieve the receiver of the burden of frequencies below 80hz and allow a little more headroom for the LS50s. As for using extra power then certainly as the KEFs do love a good power supply, I have R300s being driven by a Rega Elicit-R.

Upgrade wise I would keep the M1s as they are very good in the surround position and upgrade the Onkyos to some more substantial upfiring modules, KEF Q50a perhaps. For a sub then BK are affordable and very good indeed.

With any 5.1.2 you should always have your speakers set to small and the sub engaged. The LS50s don't dig very deep and using the sub will certainly help relieve the receiver of the burden of frequencies below 80hz and allow a little more headroom for the LS50s. As for using extra power then certainly as the KEFs do love a good power supply, I have R300s being driven by a Rega Elicit-R.

Upgrade wise I would keep the M1s as they are very good in the surround position and upgrade the Onkyos to some more substantial upfiring modules, KEF Q50a perhaps. For a sub then BK are affordable and very good indeed.

Thank you. Will take your advise and set to small. I can get a reasonable deal atm on Kef R8a's but, still not cheap, do you think I would see a big enough benefit over Q50a's to make it worth spending the extra? Sub would indeed be a BK, or, possibly SVS. Will be looking for deals on both in the January sales.

Thanks again

Sub would indeed be a BK, or, possibly SVS. Will be looking for deals on both in the January sales.

BK don't sell their products via retailers and you can only buy directly from BK. It is very unlikely that they'd be offering any of their products in a sale at discountd prices given that each sub is built to order so they've no excess stock to clear.

Last edited:
Hello All,

Thanks in advance

I had same setup with B&W M1s as surrounds and 608 as sub - spent time adjusting crossovers with B&W floor standing main speakers and placement of sub in room. End result was impressive for such a small sub but it did bottom out more than a few times. Upgraded to SVS PB2000 and that improved sound quality of the complete system. I would recommend getting quality sub before spending elsewhere. Was massive upgrade for me.

BK don't sell their products via retailers and you can only buy directly from BK. It is very unlikely that they'd be offering any of their products in a sale at discountd prices given that each sub is built to order so they've no excess stock to clear.

Thank you, useful to know 👍🙂

I had same setup with B&W M1s as surrounds and 608 as sub - spent time adjusting crossovers with B&W floor standing main speakers and placement of sub in room. End result was impressive for such a small sub but it did bottom out more than a few times. Upgraded to SVS PB2000 and that improved sound quality of the complete system. I would recommend getting quality sub before spending elsewhere. Was massive upgrade for me.

Good to know the 608 can perform okay with a bit of tweaking. My room isn't big enough to play around with placement, I only have the option of 2 locations for a sub and, where it is now does seems to work well with my current system. Again, because of the size of the room, I cant have anything as big as the SVS PB2000, the 1000 is about as large as my wife would be happy with. Is there a particular reason you opted for a ported sub over a sealed? I'm not sure, but would a sealed sub be less directional than a ported?

Edit: just read up on the pros and cons of sealed vs ported, good article on SVS website so now understand. Its definitely going to have to be a sealed sub for me due to having to keep the enclosure smaller. Ideally not much more than 350mm high. Will need to research and look for advice of what will work best for me and go from there. BK are definitely great value when comparing to SVS, dont mind spending the extra to get better performance. REL also seem well respected and are good value. Maybe this is the wrong thread for this question but kept it here as it seemed relative to my initial query.

Last edited:
Good to know the 608 can perform okay with a bit of tweaking. My room isn't big enough to play around with placement, I only have the option of 2 locations for a sub and, where it is now does seems to work well with my current system. Again, because of the size of the room, I cant have anything as big as the SVS PB2000, the 1000 is about as large as my wife would be happy with. Is there a particular reason you opted for a ported sub over a sealed? I'm not sure, but would a sealed sub be less directional than a ported?

The Marantz SR-7012 has two sub outputs so you could purchase a second 608 and run two subs. Would give you more volume in room with two. I was keen on the sealed SB2000 as I listen to a lot of music SACDs / vinyl / streaming as well as watching movies and Netflix etc. spent some time reading online about best speaker / sub settings then went into dealer and had a listen - for me the ported sounded like it had more weight to the bass, I felt it more. Glad I upgraded the sub as I was looking at new front speakers but not anymore....

So I got my SR8012 delivered a few days ago and I set it up as 5.1.4 (4 SVS Elevation speakers) which are brilliant if anyone is considering down-firing speakers. they are placed as front height and rear height. My question is under Amp Assignment section in the setup, which setup to choose? should I just keep it as 11.1 or choose another assignment it is a bit confusing hoping to find an answer from you guys
many thanks

brilliant so I will leave at 11.1 Amp assignment , it probably gives it a bit of headroom
one more thing When I press info on the Marantz, it replaces what source I am watching with black screen with the info. My old Yamaha DSP-A1 used to display the info on top of the source picture that is playing thus not interrupting the source like the SR8012, is there a way to get it to do this
thanks

Ok I read it is not possible to get it over HDR , as I ca see it superimposed over Sky

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom