Marantz SR 8012, 7012, 6012, 5012 & AV 7704 Owners thread

Ok I read it is not possible to get it over HDR , as I ca see it superimposed over Sky
I have an older SR7010 and the info screen is able to be displayed over a HDR source, I'd be very surprised if they've removed this ability. Check your video settings (when watching a HDR source) are set correctly. From (drunken) memory: i/p ON, video conversion OFF should do it.

thanks, I tried that and still no Joy, pretty annoying of Marantz if you ask me!

Page 287 of the SR7012 manual:
snapshot003.jpg
ual:

Oh, Bummer! I am mainly using Apple Tv Dolby Vision and HDR

There's not realy much need for onscreen graphics. They can be more of a distraction as opposed to being of any real use. THey are not eessential and can be done without.

Last edited:
Oh, I agree but I like to watch out for very high volumes sometimes pushed up by kids and want to be aware of the level before I play a movie

Has anyone seen any decent offers on these in Boxing Day sales?

Hi,

The Marantz 7012 is my first AVR. I've not yet set it up properly, I need to get an extension cable to use the Audessey device.

My set up is 7.1.4, I bought the 7012 as it can process 11 channels but it appears that it cannot do 11 channels for Atmos?

I'm unsure how I should set it up in general for nextflix movies, I've tried All Zone Stereo, Dolby Surround and Multi Channel 7.1. Can anyone with experience help please?

My set up is 7.1.4, I bought the 7012 as it can process 11 channels but it appears that it cannot do 11 channels for Atmos?

It can do 7.1.4, but you'll have to add 2 channels of external amplification in order to facilitate this.

The receiver can process 11 channels, but only includes 9 channels of integrated amplification. If wanting an 11 channel 7.1.4 setup then you'd need 2 of the 11 channels to be amplified via an external 2 channel amplifier. You'd connect this amp to the AV receiver using its front left and right channel or its rear height channel pre outs. You'd then configure its amp assignments accordingly.

I'm unsure how I should set it up in general for nextflix movies, I've tried All Zone Stereo, Dolby Surround and Multi Channel 7.1. Can anyone with experience help please?

It depends upon the soundtrack the Netflix content includes? If Atmos in nature then you'd not need any additional upmixing. If 5.1 in nature then I'd suggest you apply Dolby Surround or Neural:X upmixing in order to create pseudio 3D immersive audio and utilise all of your speakers. All Netflix content is encoded with 5.1 DD+ with some of the soundtracks also inclusive of Atmos metadata. Don't bother applying any additional processing relative to the content inclusive of Atmos and maybe use Dolby Surround or Neural:X in conjunction with the non Atmos audio?

Last edited:
I am wondering if either a 7012 or 7013 and adding dedicated stereo amplifier with av bypass would be a better option than a 8012 ? I did have an 8012 and it was great sounding amp. But i need to improve stereo as i listen to music a lot.

I Currently have a Anthem 720 which does not have a good stereo performance

Your opinions would be helpful

A little off topic does a Chromecast audio have its own wifi connection if a connect the Chromecast to a amplifier without wifi or an Ethernet ?

Last edited:
I am wondering if either a 7012 or 7013 and adding dedicated stereo amplifier with av bypass would be a better option than a 8012 ? I did have an 8012 and it was great sounding amp. But i need to improve stereo as i listen to music a lot.

I Currently have a Anthem 720 which does not have a good stereo performance

Your opinions would be helpful
Why not add a HT bypass amp to the Anthem or is it the Marantz sound that you are specifically looking to recreate?
Either way, adding an additional amp to run the main speakers in stereo would be an excellent idea

Why not add a HT bypass amp to the Anthem or is it the Marantz sound that you are specifically looking to recreate?
Either way, adding an additional amp to run the main speakers in stereo would be an excellent idea
I am looking at cost as i can get a 7012 or 7013 for less than a grand so leaves me with a good budget for a quality stereo amp once i sell the Anthem. I would prefer the Anthem as ARC is in my opinion the best room correction software i have used.

But i am happy to go with a Marantz having owned their flagship processor and the 8012.

I am looking at cost as i can get a 7012 or 7013 for less than a grand so leaves me with a good budget for a quality stereo amp once i sell the Anthem. I would prefer the Anthem as ARC is in my opinion the best room correction software i have used.

But i am happy to go with a Marantz having owned their flagship processor and the 8012.
Well I have a 7012 with an Emotiva XPA-5 power amp running some KEF R700's and I'm more than happy tbh.
What external amp are your thinking of using?

I'm using the marantz 8012 with a lexicon GX7 power amp. I am also very happy with the sound.

Well I have a 7012 with an Emotiva XPA-5 power amp running some KEF R700's and I'm more than happy tbh.
What external amp are your thinking of using?
The emo matches well with the Marantz i did have a 8802A with XPA-7 gen 3 that sounded superior to the 8012 alone

Amp wise i am looking either Roksan K2- K3, Arcam a32-a38, Musical Fidelity M3si-5si, Marantz KI pearl lite, Rega Elicit-R it has to have a av bypass so i have limited choice

Last edited:
I'm using the marantz 8012 with a lexicon GX7 power amp. I am also very happy with the sound.
Does the Lexicon add anything to stereo compared to the inbuilt amp? as having a dedicated preamp would improve 2 channel music

Hegel have HT bypass and would be worth a look

Does the Lexicon add anything to stereo compared to the inbuilt amp? as having a dedicated preamp would improve 2 channel music
YES more control over the speakers better bass and more open spacious sound. The pre-amp in the marantz 8012 is very very good.

I bought my SR8012 a year ago to replace my old Pioneer SC-LX85 but have only just gotten round to installing it...long story!

The sound quality for listening to music which is 50% of my listening is much better than the receiver it replaces and I have found myself listening to music I used to listen to back in my Linn/Naim days partly because I am enjoying the sound quality but also because it is easier to stream these days as my record collection(s) have long gone.

The more I use it the more I like it.

However I would like to use my Bose 700 headphones to listen late at night or when the TV is on for example and looking around it seems like I need a Bluetooth transmitter to enable this?

Can anybody recommend a decent device please?

i understand that aptX is a no-go with Bose headphones (why is this?) and there is no digital output/tape loop on the Marantz (another missed trick IMHO although in my defence I would be classed as a dinosaur these days! :)

Maybe I should just get a longer cable for my Sennheiser HD600 and use the headphone socket but I like the idea of wireless even if it means lower audio quality.

Has anyone else here gone down the headphone route with their Marantz and if so which option did you go for?

Thanks & kind regards,
-=Glyn=-

Maybe I should just get a longer cable for my Sennheiser HD600 and use the headphone socket but I like the idea of wireless even if it means lower audio quality.
You would need to get a Bluetooth device. I use wired from my Denon for headphones and both Marantz and Denon have good headphone ability. I use a 3m extension cable giving me a grand total of 6m with my Oppo PM1s. I use QED as they have a really robust set of connectors on them.

YES more control over the speakers better bass and more open spacious sound. The pre-amp in the marantz 8012 is very very good.
I agree more power will give you better driver control extended bass notes just better dynamics. Which I found with the Emotiva. But I definitely found the 88O2A to have a better detailed sound over the 8012 both in multi channel and music which is why I want to go the integrated amp route.

I agree more power will give you better driver control extended bass notes just better dynamics. Which I found with the Emotiva. But I definitely found the 88O2A to have a better detailed sound over the 8012 both in multi channel and music which is why I want to go the integrated amp route.
The 8802 had a more forward sound, the 8012 has a more relaxed sound.

It can do 7.1.4, but you'll have to add 2 channels of external amplification in order to facilitate this.

The receiver can process 11 channels, but only includes 9 channels of integrated amplification. If wanting an 11 channel 7.1.4 setup then you'd need 2 of the 11 channels to be amplified via an external 2 channel amplifier. You'd connect this amp to the AV receiver using its front left and right channel or its rear height channel pre outs. You'd then configure its amp assignments accordingly.

It depends upon the soundtrack the Netflix content includes? If Atmos in nature then you'd not need any additional upmixing. If 5.1 in nature then I'd suggest you apply Dolby Surround or Neural:X upmixing in order to create pseudio 3D immersive audio and utilise all of your speakers. All Netflix content is encoded with 5.1 DD+ with some of the soundtracks also inclusive of Atmos metadata. Don't bother applying any additional processing relative to the content inclusive of Atmos and maybe use Dolby Surround or Neural:X in conjunction with the non Atmos audio?
Hi dante01

Thanks for the info, I'll invest in an external amp soon when I can then.

So in theory I can go 5.1.4 now. The issue 9 have from when it was fitted for me, is my speakers seem to be set in different zones. I have to select All Zone Stereo just to get my speakers working, otherwise its just the fronts in Main Zone.

Is this a wiring issue or can it be corrected by speaker assignment? Everything I search on the subject suggests how to set additional zones rather than getting all the speakers in one zone assigned correctly.

Only 2 of the other speakers can have an assignment that would result in them only being active in association with the second audio zone. All the other speakers are and will be assigned to the main room. If what you say is the case then I'd suggest you go start from scratch, rewire the speakers and cnfigure the receiver again as though you'd just got it. This will not only resolve the issue you are having, but also give you a better understanding of how the assignments work relative to the speakers present.

If your intent is a 5.1.4 setup then you need the following setup and configurations:

snapshot002.jpg

snapshot003.jpg

• Set the ASSIGN MODE in the AMP ASSIGMENTS to 9.1ch
  • Set FLOOR LAYOUT to 5ch
  • Set HEIGHT SP to 4ch

*NOTE If using upward firing as opposed to HEIGHT or CEILING speakers then use the DOLBY SP setting as opposed to the HEIGHT SP setting.

Once this is done then run the Audyssey calibration.

After the calibration is complete then you can address the bass management configurations.

Last edited:
Only 2 of the other speakers can have an assignment that would result in them only being active in association with the second audio zone. All the other speakers are and will be assigned to the main room. If what you say is the case then I'd suggest you go start from scratch, rewire the speakers and cnfigure the receiver again as though you'd just got it. This will not only resolve the issue you are having, but also give you a better understanding of how the assignments work relative to the speakers present.

If your intent is a 5.1.4 setup then you need the following setup and configurations:

View attachment 1239233

View attachment 1239234

• Set the ASSIGN MODE in the AMP ASSIGMENTS to 9.1ch
  • Set FLOOR LAYOUT to 5ch
  • Set HEIGHT SP to 4ch

*NOTE If using upward firing as opposed to HEIGHT or CEILING speakers then use the DOLBY SP setting as opposed to the HEIGHT SP setting.

Once this is done then run the Audyssey calibration.

After the calibration is complete then you can address the bass management configurations.
Thanks, I'll get the extension for my Audessey and then reconfigure it.

Do you have any suggestions on the external amp to get for this? I assume it doesn't have to be too high spec for surrounds.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom