Marantz SR7009 AV Receiver Review & Comments

Will you be doing a shootout between this the X5200 and the Yamaha (A2040/A3040) models?

I'd love to know what is the best all rounder in 1 nice article ;)

Great news but no Denon in the shootout... :(

Well the X5200 is £300 more so it isn't the same price range, plus we won't be getting a review sample from Denon for a while.

There seems to be loads of great avr's coming out! Steve can you just clarify something please. If playing back in Atmos can you still use the extra wide channels? I'm guessing not as these work through dsx, neo:x? Atmos sounds like a great idea but I love my wide channels which I'm not sure I could live without...

Hi Steve, fantastic review. Many thanks for reviewing. Looking to get this receiver at some point next year :)

A flagship Marantz 7000 series should easily beat the bottom of the LX Pioneer range. Obviously not build wise according to review,(plastic fascia v. metal fascia?) but a quick look at the back of the Marantz & its seems ahead of the Pioneer SC-LX58 more analogue, component inputs all gold-plated like the other Flagship competitors. The gulf has widened pretty quickly between the 2 Co's flagship receivers. (not incl. Denon)

The way Marantz work I always thought the likes of the SR-6000 amps competed with the LX50 range. But Pioneer LX amps have been going up in price by a couple quid each year (except the '55 '83). Also would it not compete more with the LX78?..:)

Myself getting one, I think I would like to make sure the all the new Codecs are on board. You never know which way the tide will go with 4k Blu coming up.

Last edited:
Well the X5200 is £300 more so it isn't the same price range, plus we won't be getting a review sample from Denon for a while.

Could you not have added the X4100 to the mix (if you could get one)? That retails for around the same price.

Steve can you just clarify something please. If playing back in Atmos can you still use the extra wide channels? I'm guessing not as these work through dsx, neo:x? Atmos sounds like a great idea but I love my wide channels which I'm not sure I could live without...
Well Atmos does allow for a pair of width speakers, so maybe a 7.1.2 configuration where the 7 is a normal 5.1 plus width rather than rear and two overhead.

Could you not have added the X4100 to the mix (if you could get one)? That retails for around the same price.
Also would it not compete more with the LX78?
We'll see what we can do but there's only a finite number of review samples and a lot of publications, so we can't always get them at the same time.

Any idea of a rough time frame for said shootout to appear as an article on the site? You've whet my appetite lol

Well I'm on holiday next week, so it won't be until the week after.

Yesssssss! Just in time to buy myself one for Xmas :) I've heard the X5200, SR7009 and the A3040 (albeit in different demo rooms) but I am eager to hear your thoughts. All had good/bad points and unfortunately none came close to the Auro demo I was given in what I think is the best demo room in the country (Pulse Marketing) but that is waaaaaaaaaaay out of my budget lol

We'll see what we can do but there's only a finite number of review samples and a lot of publications, so we can't always get them at the same time.
Some seem to think because a model exists, AVF have it on hand for review, or can magically click fingers & hey presto! (I'm not referring to anybody here btw:smashin:)

Of course its reasonable to think if Co's don't provide review samples or they don't arrive for whatever reason at a similar time, it makes it harder for AVF to actually test them... My young lad received a pair of the recent Turtle Beach earforce 400 headphones from UK to do an online review, but he was waiting weeks for them!

Totally understand Steve. If it happens it happens.:thumbsup:

Yesssssss! Just in time to buy myself one for Xmas :) I've heard the X5200, SR7009 and the A3040 (albeit in different demo rooms) but I am eager to hear your thoughts. All had good/bad points and unfortunately none came close to the Auro demo I was given in what I think is the best demo room in the country (Pulse Marketing) but that is waaaaaaaaaaay out of my budget lol
They won't always be though.:) Theres a hell of a lot of AV products still in teething mode with the new 4K market... Patiente...;)

Good review, Steve.

Steve, are you aware of a new Denon pre/pro to be announced by D&M, and becoming available in 2015?

It was mentioned by someone on "the other forum" who spoke with a D&M rep at the Axpona Audio Expo (US) last April. :)

Good review, Steve.

Steve, are you aware of a new Denon pre/pro to be announced by D&M, and becoming available in 2015?

It was mentioned by someone on "the other forum" who spoke with a D&M rep at the Axpona Audio Expo (US) last April. :)
I haven't heard anything yet.

The pre/pro plus power amp combo will be launched under the Marantz brand as opposed to being released under the Denon banner. There wont be any Denon branded processors or multichannel power amps.

The Atmos enabled Marantz AV7702 preamp/processor was supposed to be available by now and is listed on Marantz's UK site:

Marantz UK | AV7702

The processor is available to buy in the USA so it may arrive in the stores here before next year?

There's also the AV8802 which isn't listed on Marantz's UK site:
Ideal - AV ... Home Cinema, Audio Video Equipment, Projectors, Screens, Speakers

Last edited:
Great review!

Steve, if I want to go for a 7.1.4 system with Monitor Audio Trimless 200 in-wall and in-ceiling speakers, would Marantz PM6005 connected to pre-outs of the SR7009 work well?

Great review!

Steve, if I want to go for a 7.1.4 system with Monitor Audio Trimless 200 in-wall and in-ceiling speakers, would Marantz PM6005 connected to pre-outs of the SR7009 work well?
Yes, you could do that. The SR7009 has nine channels of amplification, so to do a full 7.1.4 (11 channels) you'll need two more channels.

I haven't heard anything yet.

Okay Steve, thanks.

dante01, I guess you've confirmed my suspicion that what I read on "the other forum" was probably just hearsay.

Yes, I've been following the AV7702 thread with interest, though I'm holding out for the release of the 8802 and wait for it to garner a review or two.

All the best
Cyprio :)

Thanks Steve!

I'm thinking of using the PM6005 to drive the rear surrounds. Can this be achieved with the Marantz SR7009? This is to ensure that the 5 speakers + Atmos are driven by the same amp.

anybody want to by a kidney for £1300

How much overhead do Atmos speakers need to be..ie: Do they need to be in-ceiling, placement wise, or can they still work high on either side of the room?

Also do we need all Atmos speakers, or would the main front Atmos enabled speakers be enough,(up-firing to the upper placed speakers) with the rest of our speakers?

From what I can gather just 2 ceiling mounted speakers are enough to create the Atmos experience?... as main Atmos fronts fire sound upwards & use a re-bound effect , is that right?

Anyone...:)

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom