Marantz SR7013 AV Receiver Review & Comments

Great video review Phil. Well done on the video production too, looks like it would have taken a long time to create, loving the onscreen additional info graphics!

I don’t think any receivers have 2.1 this year bar Denons flag allowing physical upgrade.

Nice review Phil. I've got the 7012, which I use with an external power amp powering my fronts, and I'm very happy with the sound. I do agree that it's very musical and a lot better for stereo listening than my previous older Denon (which was no slough either).

Only thing my 7012 won't do is pass a HDR10+ signal. I picked up the new 4K Alien disc recently and had to wire my Oppo directly to the TV. Wonder if the 7013 will now pass it?

Been considering getting this for a while, though might plump for the 7012 given the price difference and there not being a great deal of difference.

Speaking of which, how would the 7013 compare to the 6013? They both support 9 channels, and the only real difference I can see is the amplification and chassis size. Also Auro3d support on the 7013.

Only thing my 7012 won't do is pass a HDR10+ signal. I picked up the new 4K Alien disc recently and had to wire my Oppo directly to the TV. Wonder if the 7013 will now pass it?

According to the specs it doesn't. Dolby Vision, HDR10 and HLG.

Been considering getting this for a while, though might plump for the 7012 given the price difference and there not being a great deal of difference.

Speaking of which, how would the 7013 compare to the 6013? They both support 9 channels, and the only real difference I can see is the amplification and chassis size. Also Auro3d support on the 7013.

According to the specs it doesn't. Dolby Vision, HDR10 and HLG.

You'd not get a full display behind the flap either on the SR6013 and it only has a porthole display. I believe the remote isn't the same programmable one you'd ge with the SR7013?

Great review Phil!

I am just about to purchase the 7012 to replace a Pioneer LX83. Good to know the 7013 isn't a massive step up from the 7012 - especially as the 7012 is such a good price now.

We also have a Panasonic 65FZ802B OLED, Panasonic 820 4k player along with a Sony HW55ES projector to integrate into the new system, so the Marantz should help with all that.

Our speaker system is Monitor Audio Silver 8 floorstanders, Silver centre and Silver FX surrounds and RSW12 sub. We also use a Rotel RMB 1075 5 channel power amp combined with the LX83 to biamp the Silver 8s and power the centre. Looking forward to trying a full Atmos set-up with the Marantz and Rotel to help out maybe...

Then I'll have to tell my wife we need a 4k projector!...

What's up with the lack of HDR+ passthrough? Dolby Vision support popped right up. The AVR companies must really hate Samsung. Is there a single AVR out there that will pass it?

What's up with the lack of HDR+ passthrough? Dolby Vision support popped right up. The AVR companies must really hate Samsung. Is there a single AVR out there that will pass it?

Neither HDR10+ or Dolby Vision are manditory. Only HDR10 is a mandory requirement and both support for HDR10+ and Dolby Vision are optional. A manufacturer is more likely to offer support if the format is popular. As it stands, Dolby Vision is far more popular than HDR10+ and you are therefore less likely to get manufacturers spending additional money on trying to implement sipport for it. Not many HDMI version 2.0 AV receivers initially offered support for Dolby Vision and it is only over the course of the last 2 years that you've been able to buy an AV receiver that includd it without having to rely upon an update to get such support. HDR10+ has very little actual market share right now, but I'm sure that the AVR manufacturers will offer more support if and when this marketshare increases?

That's some fancy video, some people might even say professional ;-)

Oddly enough, the boxing, packaging, plastic and position of the remote and microphone is exactly the same as the Denon X3500h I bought not so long ago...

That's some fancy video, some people might even say professional ;-)

How much did Phil pay you to say that?

Oddly enough, the boxing, packaging, plastic and position of the remote and microphone is exactly the same as the Denon X3500h I bought not so long ago...

Denon and Marantz are basically the same concern.

Nice review Phil.

For anyone on the fence with this, after owning an Arcam 550 and then an 860, my marantz (admittedly the 8805) is in a different league with build quality and reliability.

Personally I also prefer the sound, my marantz is staying in my rack for a long time....and this comes from a serial upgrader!!!

It.....just....works! :D

You can't go wrong with Denon & Marantz mid or high end AV receivers.
My SR8012 doesn't get enough use these days, but its a brilliant piece of kit with a wonderfully musical sound quality with 2 channel sources.

It does get a bit hot though (even at very low volumes) unless you use ECO mode.. and mine has 5" clearance!
With ECO mode on it thankfully runs quite cool, and I find that's fine for everything except big movie nights.

Heat is definitely something people should be aware of with AV amps & receivers.

Looks great. Just wish they would delete the obsolete component I/Ps and re-instate digital audio out, but no-one does this these days, it seems.

What made me chuckle was the video says it’s 125w in 2 channel but there’s is a sticker on the avr that says 9 x 200.
Now something tells me this isn’t going to push out 200w per channel all channels driven lol.

What made me chuckle was the video says it’s 125w in 2 channel but there’s is a sticker on the avr that says 9 x 200.
Now something tells me this isn’t going to push out 200w per channel all channels driven lol.

It can if you live in Narnia :lesson:

It can if you live in Narnia :lesson:
Haha too true. With 125 x 2 your probably closer to the 65w per channel when driving 9 speakers. It’s a shame that good products have this kind of marketing as it’s very misleading. Pretty sure I bought my first AVR on the rated power output of the sticker. Maybe the sticker have it more oomph and it was fault for removing it:facepalm:

The price merry go round has already started this year setting stage for the SR7014, SR6013 and so on.

The SR7013 unit is already down to £1299 for a unopened box brand new at most places.

I just went with the SR6013 for £889 brand new unopened box from a decent dealer. I use a Rotel RMB-1075 for powering 5.1 so the SR7013 would have been pointless - as far as I know the pre-outs will give the same quality on both units.

I could have go the SR6013 for £699 from hyperfi but it's grade B, no-one picks the phone up and you pay for returns which is nuts. Sorry I'm not into gambling at that extent.

No Auro 3D on the 6013. No sale. (Because Auro is a huge hit! ;) )

I went for an SR7012 and am very happy with it. I had the same 7012 vs 7013 decision to make. I find the HDMI toggle such a useful feature. I ran Audyssey but keep it flat. Very happy customer.

I went for an SR7012 and am very happy with it. I had the same 7012 vs 7013 decision to make. I find the HDMI toggle such a useful feature. I ran Audyssey but keep it flat. Very happy customer.
What is the ‘hdmi toggle’ genuinely curious as i have a 6012. Cheers!

I have to say this looks very good value, especially when compared to the Yamaha receivers.
I wish AVF could run through some power measurements as manufacturers do overate the specs.
It really does not need that much equipment and is not too expensive these days to do a few measurement for power output and distortion.

125 w into two channels is good, but we all know that when all channels are running the power supply will run out of oomph. As a previous poster guestimated - probably around 65 watts or so.

I see the weight is 14.2 kg, and this is not particularly heavy, indicating the power transformer is not as big as it could be.

I have to say this looks very good value, especially when compared to the Yamaha receivers.
I wish AVF could run through some power measurements as manufacturers do overate the specs.
It really does not need that much equipment and is not too expensive these days to do a few measurement for power output and distortion.

125 w into two channels is good, but we all know that when all channels are running the power supply will run out of oomph. As a previous poster guestimated - probably around 65 watts or so.

I see the weight is 14.2 kg, and this is not particularly heavy, indicating the power transformer is not as big as it could be.
exactly the same amp other than a couple of features.Marantz SR7011 A/V Receiver Review Test Bench

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom